Author Topic: splitting line on reel  (Read 313 times)

Offline Swampfox

• IceShanty Rookie
  • out of bait out of beer out of here!
splitting line on reel
« on: Dec 07, 2011, 06:11 PM »
anybody run mason line on your jig poles then run a mono line of 6lb, or 4lb ,if so how much do you use of each . I have 50 yds of 4lbs, that I would like to run

with the heavy mason line and 50 yds of 6lb for my other pole , but unsure how much of each  is enough .any thoughts? ??? :icefish:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: splitting line on reel
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2011, 06:57 PM »
Not a one.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: splitting line on reel
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2011, 11:53 PM »
Trial an error.  Your spools should have a mfg. line yard capacity for test # of mono for full spool.  If it's like 150 yrds of 4# mono then I suppose you eye up on the spool to figure when to stop or measure it with the end of a ruler or something like a toothpick.  Just mark it on toothpick as you place it on edge of spool.  So if marking like the halfway mark, you should be able to fill the spool up with 50 yrds of 4# line no problem and still have some spacing for the spool edge to lip.

Another thing I personally don't like backing up a spool with thick line is that the fishing line needs to fill in the cracks and over the knot to smooth out.   That may potentially take away from the main fishing line althought it's only ice fishing and we only need a few yards of line to fish with.  But I like my line lay on the spool to be as smooth and even as possible, just my preference.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.