Author Topic: Gas for lantern  (Read 489 times)

Offline Swampfox

• IceShanty Rookie
  • out of bait out of beer out of here!
Gas for lantern
« on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:33 PM »
Hey guys I was just wandering , i picked up a coleman lantern duel fuel , and was wondering if its ok to mix the white gas with the unleaded ?  .thanks in advance
 Swamp  fox.  ??? :tipup:

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gas for lantern
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2011, 06:32 PM »
Ive mixed mine a few times when I didnt have one or the other. 1/2 or less tank of unleaded topped off with coleman didnt seem to do any harm, burned bright!

Offline Smax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2011, 07:07 PM »
I'm glad Phil got in there before me because I heard you should never do that, but it was second hand info. Then again, I was using an MSR whisper light back in the 90s. Things might have changed since then.
GO PACK GO

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Do a serious search on the history of Coleman lanterns (or start a collection). It will take you through 2 world wars and bring you alongside the original Harleys and other classic machinery. Do you want to keep fooling yourself and even imagine they used something other than common available fuels? Do you think they used brand specific Coleman? Stop 'fueling' yourself. The older lanterns commonly used regular LEADED gas and somewhat less often, commonly available kerosene.

I don't think you will encounter any problems with switching from/to unleaded gasoline to regular Coleman as long as you don't need to exchange generators such as is needed these days to convert to kerosene.

I can use propane or any of the liquid fuels with my stoves, I wish I could do the same with my lanterns. But I'm still working on it.  @)
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Smax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2011, 05:49 AM »
Can't argue with Nor Easters logic on this one. :thumbsup:
GO PACK GO

Offline Swampfox

• IceShanty Rookie
  • out of bait out of beer out of here!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Can't argue with Nor Easters logic on this one. :thumbsup:
thats the answer I was looking for thanks nor easters for the sound advice !!

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2011, 06:12 PM »
I'm a collector of Coleman lanterns and can tell you that there is a big difference between unleaded and white gas.  Unleaded will do the same things to your lantern that it does to carbs on small engines.  It will varnish if left in the lantern and it will cause premature generator failure.  Fuel quality is nowhere near where it was 30 years ago; any small engine guy can tell you that.  The shelf life on gas today is about 30 days.  White gas is higher priced (about 3X the cost of unleaded) but white gas will burn much better in the lantern and will prolong generator life substantially.  One gallon of white gas should last you most of the winter. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.