Author Topic: 20# test leader for walleye  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Swampfox

• IceShanty Rookie
  • out of bait out of beer out of here!
20# test leader for walleye
« on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:33 PM »
OK I know this sounds crazy :P but some old timers swear that its a waste of time using 8,10# leaders for walleyes and that 20# is the the only way to go cause your chances of losing the big ones is to great! so being a icefisherman for only a couple of years now , this makes me more confused than ever ! Ive been using 8# test and treble and a split shot and have yet to pull out a walleye . I believe I've been following all the rules 6-8 inches from bottom blah blah blah, but do I switch or what ,anyone one else use that heavy of a leader  let me know , and how its helped or failed!. thanks ahead of time

LOST IN THE HOLE :tipup: :cookoo:

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 20# test leader for walleye
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:36 PM »
my biggest walleye caught through the ice came on 20 lb big game with a huge treble.  I was fishing for pike.  My walleye leaders are 8 lb fluoro with a single hook.  I've yet to have one break me off, but i'm only catching 18-21 inchers.  I'd stick with the 8 if I were you

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:40 PM »
I use 12# fluoro leader material for the walleye and 30# fluoro for the gators.
l

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:43 PM »
I use no leaders for eyes summer or winter. Buddy iced one right around 11 pounds couple years ago on 4# test. Heaviest I use is 8# on my jigging rod in the summer.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:48 PM »
I run 6# fluoro leaders for eyes.  Have not broke one off in years, unless the pike come in.  Even land 2/3 of them.  No need for heavy line.

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:48 PM »
just on tipups.... no leader on jiggin rods
l

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:17 PM »
4 to 6 pound test, dont set the hook to hard and take your time, your not in a race to get them on the ice.
Catching Any?

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2011, 10:32 PM »
I just run 10lb mono on my tipups, for perch and walleyes.  on my jiggin rid for cats and walleyes I use some 4lb fireline. 
Don

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2011, 10:48 PM »
i have landed lots of big walleye using 4 and 6lb floro leaders as well as many using 6 or 8lb mainline with no leader.  If you use your drag and fight the fish properly a big walleye will not break you off when using light line.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:20 PM »
 where i am eyes are up to 23" with the occasional 25" i use 4lb fireline some with leader 6 lb trans optic , some without depends if they are a little hawky

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:31 PM »

Fox, my guess is that you are more apt to get bit on lighter line. Personally I  think you're on the right tract; :thumbsup: :tipup: Have faith.    Tight line, LL
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:43 PM »
OK I know this sounds crazy :P but some old timers swear that its a waste of time using 8,10# leaders for walleyes and that 20# is the the only way to go cause your chances of losing the big ones is to great! so being a icefisherman for only a couple of years now , this makes me more confused than ever ! Ive been using 8# test and treble and a split shot and have yet to pull out a walleye . I believe I've been following all the rules 6-8 inches from bottom blah blah blah, but do I switch or what ,anyone one else use that heavy of a leader  let me know , and how its helped or failed!. thanks ahead of time

LOST IN THE HOLE :tipup: :cookoo:

Downsize to 4 or 6 lb. test and see what happens. ;) Would you rather catch some fish and break off one or two, or not catch anything at all???

Walleye a more cylindrical tooth than the triangular toothed Pike and are less likely to cut your line with their teeth.

Like others have said, take your time and play the fish. That's what fishing is all about! Catching the biggest fish possible on the lightest line and tackle possible. ;)
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:58 PM »
We use Trilene XT 6# in the summer when fishing both home and in Canada.  My Wife put a 32" 12# 'eye in the boat two years ago on 6# test in Canada.

I'm using 4# Trilene Micro Ice on my ice gear.

-Jeff

Offline kdu12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2011, 12:25 PM »
I use 6 or 8 pound test fluorocarbon and my biggest walleye is 7lbs.  I have never lost a walleye from biting the leader.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2011, 01:39 PM »
No leader for 'eyes..10lb mono, never broke one off - others have said too, set your drag and take your time...

SkeeterJeff - 4lb?  Really?  Your brave :o
Tight lines

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2011, 01:42 PM »
6lb yo zuri for my tipups and 12-14 vmc treble...you may experience some breakoffs, but you'll get more strikes...salmon fishing lake ontario, we only use 12lb leaders....for 30lb freshwater sharks...light line is key..im a firm believer in that

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2011, 03:35 PM »
6lb yo zuri for my tipups and 12-14 vmc treble...you may experience some breakoffs, but you'll get more strikes...salmon fishing lake ontario, we only use 12lb leaders....for 30lb freshwater sharks...light line is key..im a firm believer in that

your ice fishing lake ontario?? :o
Tight lines

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2011, 04:58 PM »
your ice fishing lake ontario?? :o

Isn't the BOQ part of lake O?
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:19 PM »
sorry guys....Im from PA, but I ice fish Irondiquoit bay Lk Ontario, but when I refered to salmon fishing I meant in the summer and fall downrigging. sorry for the confusion! :cookoo: :%$#!:

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:34 PM »
As heavy as you can. I take every advantage I can get. With that said I use 8# fcarbon. Never noticed anyone around me getting more flags than myself.

Offline Swampfox

• IceShanty Rookie
  • out of bait out of beer out of here!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Thanks for the info guys ,I should of been more clear ,but was talking about using tipups, but all info is usefull , I think for now ill keep the 20# leaders  on one and put 8#  on the other two and just pray for a walleye  :tipup: :angel

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:53 PM »
I had a 20 lb fluorocarbon leader when i caught a 13 lb walleye a few weeks back and i would have been worried pullin it up with anything lighter.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:20 AM »
I use 12 pound floro for walleyes, and toothy critter for gators. If you've never used toothy critter, your missing out on a great product...super limber, easy to use, blends in nicely, thinner than a regular steel leader.

http://www.flyfishusa.com/leaders/cortland-toothy-critter.htm

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:05 AM »
I have had a lot of people tell me that there's no way my set up will work, but ive pulled in lots of 27-29in 8-9lb wallys with them. i use 50lb nylon line then a barrell swivel with 2oz weight and then an 18 in 30lb steel leader and a trebel. i have never had a problem.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.