Author Topic: fish trap replacement cover  (Read 2027 times)

Offline swampbuck8

• IceShanty Rookie
fish trap replacement cover
« on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:47 PM »
Hello, im looking for the lighthouse replacement cover for a fishtrap pro. I tried ordering one from clam but their sold out and they said noone else sells replacement covers. does anyone know where i could find one? thanks

Offline Regulator99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fish trap replacement cover
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:20 PM »
You may be out of luck unless you can find one on craigslist. I know sportsmansdirect used to make replacements but I think they quit.  Were they out of the blue cover too?

Offline sawblade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:25 PM »
Try checking with a upholstery shop. Not sure how they compare to buying from clam when they were available. You might also want to check schools that teach upholstery/ auto trim. I had mine done at a trade school and they did an awesome job, even put a window in with a flap to cover it.

Offline swampbuck8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2010, 11:26 PM »
thanks for the advise. they did have some blue ones but they were $140. was hoping just to spend the $50 for the lighthouse.

Offline Regulator99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2010, 11:36 PM »
I see. Good luck, hopefully they restock soon.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:47 AM »
Any Marine Canvas shop should be willing to make a real nice cover from the pattern of your old one. Be assured you will pay what might be a hefty price for it because there is a lot of work to it and quite a lot of material.

You also want to be careful with the material they use because there are different grades and thicknesses and although it might sound good to go with a substantial material you have to keep in mind your bows are not nearly as heavy as the ones used on boats. Heavier materials could be a real PITA in very cold conditions and make it real hard to set up and stow.

My local canvas shop made one a while back and used exactly what the guy picked out. I saw the finished product in July and it was gorgeous but it did not work in February and the guy was very unhappy with the material he selected.

I have an older Trap Guide that I will probably get a new cover for this or next year and I don't like the newer configuration of windows that I see with the new models. The canvas shop might have to be the place but I will be very careful with the material I pic for it.

Aging myself here but I remember as a kid my mom and sis making dresses from paper patterns they would buy at Woolworths. It looked pretty easy with a lot of the work done by having the pattern. The canvas shop will have to make the pattern and then make the cover so it is a lot of work. The pre made replacements are probably made in China or Mexico where the seamstresses are making pennies per day and working from set patterns. I will bet it will be cheaper to buy a brand new trap then it will be to have a local shop recover the one I have. 
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline fasttimeracing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:16 AM »
U NEED TO GOT TO CLAIMCORP.COM AND I SEEN THAT THEY HAD ONE FOR YOUR SHANTY FOR $50. I WAS ON THERE LAST WEEK LOOKING FOR ONE FOR MY TO MAN

Offline swampbuck8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:20 PM »
thanks for all the help. A canvas shop is a great idea but your prob right, would most likely be pretty expensive. I called clam and they told me they were out of stock. may have to wait a while.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.