Author Topic: Re drilling holes  (Read 5081 times)

Offline Swampfox

• IceShanty Rookie
  • out of bait out of beer out of here!
Re drilling holes
« on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:37 PM »
Does anyone own an Eskimo 8" or ten " auger? if so ,should  you  redrill old holes with them or not ?was thinking of buying the Mako 8" but heard a couple of stories about the transmission goin out from redrilling holes . the reason I want an eskimo is that the place that makes them is only 15 miles from were I live, any thoughts guys ,your advice would be most helpful in this dilemma . Thanks  :) :)

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Re drilling holes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2009, 09:26 PM »
I have an eskimo 8 inch gas auger but I have an 8 inch mora hand auger attached to the motor as my buddy is a welder and we replaced the original one bladed shaft that came with the auger.

Not the same as your set up but the time I tried to redrill an 8 inch hole that was frozen over I got it stuck and had a heck of a time getting the shaft loose. I now either carry my 7 inch lazer hand auger to reopen 8 inch holes or drill a new one.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2009, 10:06 PM »
Not sure what the blades are on the Eskimo but if they have Chipper or Ripper style blades you can open old holes no problem. If they have the regular style blades you will get the kind of problems the poster above had.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2009, 10:16 PM »
Not sure what the blades are on the Eskimo but if they have Chipper or Ripper style blades you can open old holes no problem. If they have the regular style blades you will get the kind of problems the poster above had.
Chipper or Ripper does not include serated blades like on my strikemaster.

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2009, 12:21 AM »
it depends on the style of the blades if you can redrill old holes or not.   if it has the mora style blades ( flat and almost even with the ice) then no, that one wont redrill old holes with out some problems.   if it has the lazer style blades ( curved and angled downward) then it will reopen old holes with ease.   the chipper blades will reopen holes easier if they have a center point to keep them in place as well.
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2009, 01:39 AM »
I have an Eskimo 10"...it has the double stainless serrated blades on it. I have redrilled holes and not had a problem. It's the 3hp Barricuda Plus, I think it would drill a hole in just about anything. Cuts very fast and cleans out the holes real good. The only thing is it throws ice everywhere. LOL
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2009, 08:04 AM »
with the perm I only had the hand lazer 6-8" and it redrilled all the time  and with the icegator never had an issue
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline mags459

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2009, 08:33 AM »
I have an old, 1990, 8 inch eskimo and redrill holes without problem.  Are they still making augers in Wisconsin? That was why I bought mine also very close to home.

Shane
Shane

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:23 AM »
I have a Mako 43 with 8" TurboCut blades (2) and have redrilled hundreds of holes with no problem. One thing you have to do is make sure you have centered as best you can in the old hole.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:28 AM »
I usually dont see why there would be a problem  at least up here  after a day they would be frozen solid
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:30 AM »
I've been running a Jiffy Model 30 with a 3hp motor, it has the chipper style blade & we always use it to reopen holes. Works find besides a little jumping once in awhile.

As stated before, it mostly depends on the blade style on your auger. If it is the ice shaving type blades, I wouldn't try to reopen holes with it. If it is the ripper or chipper style blades you should be fine as long as you don't try to force it to recut the hole to the point that the auger doesn't turn. Give it a little time and don't bog the motor down to bad and you'll be fine.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:17 PM »
i have an eskimo shark 8'' i have no problem redrilling old holes, the only problem i have is no ice...at the moment

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2009, 06:18 AM »
I find it easier to just drill a new hole butted up against the other hold....saves blades, and saves my body if that bit catches.

Offline sonar man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GILL MASTER
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2009, 07:01 AM »
good to hear I just boought a strikemaster with a chipper 10 1/4 blade
those solo eng. sound sweet cant wait to try it ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.