Author Topic: Treble Hooks?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
Treble Hooks?
« on: Nov 03, 2009, 09:39 PM »
I am going to start using treble hooks for tip-ups for the fish that I will keep.  I am going for Walleye, Perch and Bluegill.  What do you guys suggest I use for each of these species?  Thanks

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Re: Treble Hooks?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2009, 09:45 PM »
I would start small , like a #14, rigged with what ever your preference is for bait..I've personally never caught a gill on a tip up, so that is something I cannot help with...check the species/equipment boards...lots of good insight there ;)  not to change the subject of your question, but I have had better luck with simple baitholder hooks and circle hooks than with trebles

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2009, 09:50 PM »
I use #6 trebles for walleyes. I'm switching to #8 once I run out. I wouldn't use anything bigger than a #12 for panfish.
In my eyes SMALLER IS USUALLY BETTER! You really can't go wrong unless you do something crazy like trying a 5/0....

But I don't recommend trying to catch panfish on a tip up. I never even tried to because I've watched my dad. The flag will trip... but the catch rate is like 25%..

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2009, 10:07 PM »
I use very small treble hooks for inland trout and panfish.   number 18 and number 20.

The number 20's are very fragile, and I have broke the treble hook while using a hook out, number 18 hooks are better.

For Walleye, I usually use #12 to #14 trebles,  pike are usually #4 to #6 unless I am really using a very large bait.

The thing that I like about using small trebles is that you can usually put the hooks in the minnow without killing it.  This helps for trout and walleye.  Pike don't seem to care.

I use pre-tied leaders that have a small loop in them.  all of my tip ups have a small snap which I can then put through the loop on the leader.   I can use any size and length of leader on any style tip up that I own.

Trout / Walleye leaders are usually #8 florocarbon  for pike I usually use a super braid in #20 to #30 lb test.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2009, 11:13 PM »
just jig for bluegill, saves a lot of headaches. but using smaller trebles might mean gut hooking bigger fish more often, if i were you, i would try a mix and try to find a size that is small enough but not too small.

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2009, 07:07 PM »
i quit using trebles because you may gut hook a smaller fish like a 10"walleye and they have a small enough mouth to make it hard to get the hook out without hurting or killing them so i switched to octopus hooks and my hooking ratio hasn't dropped in fact i think i do better because they dont feel all the points in their mouth

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2009, 07:12 PM »
i quit using trebles because you may gut hook a smaller fish like a 10"walleye and they have a small enough mouth to make it hard to get the hook out without hurting or killing them so i switched to octopus hooks and my hooking ratio hasn't dropped in fact i think i do better because they dont feel all the points in their mouth
On my lake I don't have to worry about catching small walleye.  The smallest one I've ever caught on my lake (other than minnow sized) was a 14 1/2" during the summer.  In Michigan the size limit is 15" and up and the smallest on the ice was a 17".  I'm am pretty sure the small ones live on the furthest part of the lake than me. ;D

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2009, 07:30 PM »
our size limit is also 15 on the majority of lakes but 18 on some also and like i said its alot simpler to remove a single hook on a fish. but some guys swear by treble so good luck with them.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2009, 08:20 PM »
Carcaju and I have duked it out over the treble hook before. I use a size 10 or 12 treble when I'm fishing perch. Word of the wise and spend an extra buck or two on a pack of hooks too. I switched to all Matzuo hooks and it has made a world of difference. Super sharp and they stay super sharp for a long time. If you use a cheapo sharpen them as part of getting your gear ready. I can say Carcaju catches just as many fish or more when we fish together but I feel better when I hook up with bigger "game" fish with a treble.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.