The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Sad day on the ice (OT)Updated  (Read 7600 times)

Offline iusedtocould

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sad day on the ice (OT)Updated
« Reply #90 on: Jan 30, 2014, 12:05 PM »
touched a nerve on a few folks I see...I'm not a biologist by any means but I can honestly say that the 5 years I've been hunting them in my area seems to have made a difference. I traded the "experience" of sitting on the back porch listening to them howl for the opportunity to go deer hunt behind the house again. To those that say they are a natural predator that belong in the woods I totally agree....but- so am I, May the top predator win.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #91 on: Jan 30, 2014, 12:36 PM »
??? More missing dogs, cats, and kids ??? (?!)
First of all, dogs and cats do not belong in the woods.
Coyotes do. It's in their nature to be on the trail of deer, observing for any weak or infirmed deer. When they are fortunate enough to kill one, it's fine by me. They have as much (or more) claim to any deer than I do.
Secondly, it's QUITE unusual for a coyote to attack a human -of ANY size. If you really care about kids, start advocating for padding on playgrounds and bicycle helmets.
Suggesting that more coyotes means more missing kids just an attempt to villify them, and lacks credibility.
Ask the multiple hunters that have been stalked and even attacked in Maine. Also the young children that had a coyote stalking them in their own yard. And this house was not in a wooded area, it was in a well developed area. Even better, ask the people that grew up in the State of Maine, how many coyotes there were 30 years ago!!! NONE!!!!

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #92 on: Jan 30, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Coyotes do. It's in their nature to be on the trail of deer, observing for any weak or infirmed deer. When they are fortunate enough to kill one, it's fine by me. They have as much (or more) claim to any deer than I do.
Secondly, it's QUITE unusual for a coyote to attack a human -of ANY size. If you really care about kids, start advocating for padding on playgrounds and bicycle helmets.
Suggesting that more coyotes means more missing kids just an attempt to villify them, and lacks credibility.

shame on them its almost as bad as killing a pike

Offline treestand13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Jan 30, 2014, 01:22 PM »
I told you someone out there was going to tell you that is the yote right to kill the deer.  Like with any thing else unless it has happened to them our there family it is not a problem. :cookoo: Thats how I see it any way.
If i'm not:   Trappin or huntin,I'm Fishin

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Jan 30, 2014, 01:26 PM »
Good Night Irene !!!! Nice shot

smitty :tipup:

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Jan 30, 2014, 01:29 PM »
  :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

smitty :tipup:

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Jan 30, 2014, 01:37 PM »
Wonder how many cats and dogs them eagles kill :whistle:

Inside cat= Pet
Outside cat= Food

Offline 44 Degrees North

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:38 PM »
I wish we could practice catch and release. Ship a few thousand to New York. Good shooting Scalloper! I'll buy you a box of shells, empty those clips.

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:40 PM »
Forgive me for being ignorant but how can you tell a female from a male at 75yd+ ?
Size? or did they lift a leg and you got a peek
The males will be the ones following 3 paces behind with their head between their legs and doing what they are told waiting for the female to say its time to mate. Sound familiar?

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:15 PM »
The males will be the ones following 3 paces behind with their head between their legs and doing what they are told waiting for the female to say its time to mate. Sound familiar?

You been following me?
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:24 PM »

Tom Schaeffer, Regional Wildlife Biologist in Jonesboro HQ of IF&W, was sitting on the ground hunting turkeys a few years ago. A coyote stalked up near him, then bolted straight at him. Tom instinctively lifted his gun quickly to block the animal from himself, and you should see the coyote scratch marks down the stock of his shotgun. They are deep and unforgettable. The coyote got away.

Offline 44 Degrees North

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Can't we all just get along.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:04 PM »
I have never lost an animal to a coyote. I have lost several to foxes, weasels and a bobcat but I don't advocate indiscriminate killing of any of those species. Losing a domestic animal to a wild predator is part of the price of living in the woods. Those animals do more good because of rodent control than the losses of a few domestic rabbits or chickens. The damage done by deer to my crops far exceeds the damage done to my livestock by predators and the deer don't do anything beneficial to negate that damage. A dead deer is a good deer and it doesn't matter if it's dead because of coyote or loss of winter habitat.

Offline conservationist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:08 PM »
I told you someone out there was going to tell you that is the yote right to kill the deer.  Like with any thing else unless it has happened to them our there family it is not a problem. :cookoo: Thats how I see it any way.

Nice try, Roadrunner....
Meep, Meep!

This is as pathetic as the cows organizing the 'Eat Mor Chikn' commercials for Chick-fil-A.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:10 PM »
I have never lost an animal to a coyote. I have lost several to foxes, weasels and a bobcat but I don't advocate indiscriminate killing of any of those species. Losing a domestic animal to a wild predator is part of the price of living in the woods. Those animals do more good because of rodent control than the losses of a few domestic rabbits or chickens. The damage done by deer to my crops far exceeds the damage done to my livestock by predators and the deer don't do anything beneficial to negate that damage. A dead deer is a good deer and it doesn't matter if it's dead because of coyote or loss of winter habitat.

If deer are an issue for you. I have one question. Is your property posted or do you allow hunting on your property?
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:15 PM »
If deer are an issue for you. I have one question. Is your property posted or do you allow hunting on your property?
It is posted "Hunting by Permission Only".  When a hunter asks permission I tell him he has permission to hunt deer but does not have permission to hunt coyotes or anything else. Most hunters are not willing to accept those conditions so I deny them access.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:18 PM »
Ok I was just wondering and respect that and your ideals about the situation.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:22 PM »
If the coyotes start causing trouble for me I will start shooting them, but for now they do more good.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Mouse, Mole, Racoon, Skunk, control. Understandable. Some also us live traps to control that population

Offline conservationist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:31 PM »
I'm not saying that coyotes should have special protection status. I think they should be managed. We've taken out the coyotes' apex predator (gray wolves), and now should assume responsibility in controlling their numbers. But I'm not for indiscriminate shooting of coyotes on sight. They have value in the ecosystem, and extirpation should not be a goal.

..and avoiding rhetoric like: "The only good yote is a dead yote".

They're not the small-bad-wolf that many will make them out to be.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:47 PM »
I always though Coyotes were not as good to eat as Deer.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:03 PM »
I always though Coyotes were not as good to eat as Deer.

They say there's nothing like a tasty coyote-burger cooked out on the ice if you don't have venison or moose.  ;D ??? :o

Offline redneckrmsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:35 PM »
good shooting... kill em all

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Don't yell FLAG, yell KEYCHAIN!!!
« Reply #113 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:02 PM »
Nice try, Roadrunner....
Meep, Meep!

This is as pathetic as the cows organizing the 'Eat Mor Chikn' commercials for Chick-fil-A.
The roadrunner was the one who always said "meep meep".  So why on earth would he ever say "nice try roadrunner, meep meep"?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.