The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Flooded River = BIG BROWN PICS (actually they are salmon) I stand corrected!  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
well................I am pumped to say the least.  This AM was my first trip to the sweetwater this season....me and Mike grabbed our fly rods and headed to a spot we knew would be "unfishable" in many people's minds....we arrived to the river.....and it was raging....it was a long drive up there so we threw the waders on and headed out into the whitewater. First we had to walk through knee high water....which is usually woods.  I stood there, in the water, looked down at my feet, and saw a HUGE brown.  I knew they hadn't stocked the river yet, so this lone ranger must have been a native.  To make a long story short, I casted a grey ghost (modified) up stream and as soon as it hit the water, the brown took off for it.  I lost site of the fish and was mending my line when.........WHAMMM... .a huge hit....I set it and the fish EXPLODED out of the water for one of it's 6 or 7 jumps.  10 minutes after battling this thing in the current, Mike was able to get to hands under the fish...we left our nets at home, figuring we would only "take a look at the river".  So without a net, it was tough!  we looked at the fins...and no clip!  the fish looked like an old pro that must have made it's way up from the pond.  Thankfully I had my camera phone ;D

After Mike gave me my phone back he whispered "there's another one!!"
Sure enough....in the same spot.....even after all the commotion, another SMALLER brown was resting in the current.  I casted the same ghost up stream and BAM

I released both fish, and man you could tell they weren't stocked.  Even after a 10 minute fight with multiple, leaps, I could barley hold on to the big one.  Hopefully when the river drops, they make their way back down river and stay out of the "snag" guys way.

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flooded River = BIG BROWN PICS
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2005, 11:07 AM »
The fat lady may be singing the salt but she sure ain't singing the sweetwater, huh?  Nice fish! 

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2005, 04:17 PM »
nice fish ben! good to see theres a few big ones left. congrats!!

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2005, 04:45 PM »
Nice job, skipper!! sweet fish...
Scott Wright

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2005, 06:00 PM »
great fish ben!! nice job once again bud!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2005, 08:37 PM »
nice fish...They must've fight like demons, but are you sure they weren't landlocks?  The top one sure looks like a salmon.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2005, 07:42 PM »
Nice pics! That fish has awesome colors!

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2005, 06:51 AM »
nice fish...They must've fight like demons, but are you sure they weren't landlocks?  The top one sure looks like a salmon.
geeeeeeeez....I am pretty sure they were.....very brown and golden to be salmon.....the camera phone doesn't do the color any justice!  the tails were square...they looked forked in the pics because I had a death grip on them ;D  who knows though....mabye they were old golden landlocks ???

Offline Niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2005, 11:23 AM »
Nice fish!   

Hey, do yourself a favor and throw a tad of orange on out there.  it only takes one person to make a mistake........ >:( >:(

P.S.

The linesiders are still around ;D ;D

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2005, 11:42 AM »
Nice fish!   

Hey, do yourself a favor and throw a tad of orange on out there.  it only takes one person to make a mistake........ >:( >:(

P.S.

The linesiders are still around ;D ;D
i thought of that as I was crawling through the woods ::) wearing brown waders with a white label isn't exactly the smartest thing to do

Offline Swampbucks1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2005, 12:07 PM »
Or just Yell, like I do, when I'm going to that spot in the early AM..still dark..They shouldn't be hunting at dark.

"Fly fisherman coming through!"  Either they will yell back to shut you up or they will move before the suns up. Or the headlamp at dark is the giveaway I'm not a deer.  I don't think orange is a requirement for flyfisherman.  But, I guess it isn't a bad idea.  At least in that area, any hunters should know or are aware that many people fly fish that river till ice.

You could be wearing all orange and still get shot by the guy who's got 15-10 vision...

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2005, 01:59 PM »
it's funny you say that because mike was singing (yelling) welcome to the jungle the whole walk up stream!

Offline Swampbucks1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2005, 02:18 PM »
Hmm. Maybe I'll trying singing 'welcome to the jungle' if it brings in big fish like that~! ;D :o

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2005, 02:57 PM »
Hmm. Maybe I'll trying singing 'welcome to the jungle' if it brings in big fish like that~! ;D :o
Mike got skunked though ;D  I was singing a secret song :P

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
I know your secret song! It starts with "Here fishy fishy fishy"  ;D Nice salmon or whatever you all decided they were :-\

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline Swampbucks1

• Team IceShanty Addict
I've used the 'Here fishy, fishy, fishy song' before, hasn't done d***( for me.! ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.