The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: 8th Annual Horne Pond Derby  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 8th Annual Horne Pond Derby
« Reply #60 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:38 PM »
Any more pics from the Derby?

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:11 AM »
no real major issues, its just hard to explain to a 11 year old why he didnt win nothin even though he had the 2nd largest trout of the day but sinbc ehe was in the kids devision he wasbeast out by heavier fish but not trout. had a blast btw and still like catchin nice browns!
[/quo

congrads to the kid on his catch 
in god we trust

Offline madfisherdude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:41 PM »
i heard from someone who fished sat. told me he had the fourth place fish with a brookie, but didnt place because he didnt mark his fish. How were you guys marking your fish? I been fishin for a longtime, never heard of marking them. Anyone help me out?

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #63 on: Jan 23, 2012, 02:19 PM »
no real major issues, its just hard to explain to a 11 year old why he didnt win nothin even though he had the 2nd largest trout of the day but sinbc ehe was in the kids devision he wasbeast out by heavier fish but not trout. had a blast btw and still like catchin nice browns!

He should have recieved an extra prize for catching a trout in the kids division.  If not send me a pm and I will mail him something.  I do that do all of the kids can have a chance.  If your only fishing for trout than register them as an adult.  I hard either way.  I have tried it both ways and have had complaints either way???????

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #64 on: Jan 23, 2012, 02:24 PM »
i heard from someone who fished sat. told me he had the fourth place fish with a brookie, but didnt place because he didnt mark his fish. How were you guys marking your fish? I been fishin for a longtime, never heard of marking them. Anyone help me out?

That's not true.  It went by weight only.   We verified that all of the fish that were on the board were the actual winning fish.  I have no clue what he is talking about.  We weight the fish inside the trailer.  If it falls within the top 5 we tag it with a 2x4 paper tag with the name and weight. 

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Jan 23, 2012, 03:32 PM »
He should have recieved an extra prize for catching a trout in the kids division.  If not send me a pm and I will mail him something.  I do that do all of the kids can have a chance.  If your only fishing for trout than register them as an adult.  I hard either way.  I have tried it both ways and have had complaints either way???????

no complaints really like i said, it was hard to explain it to him thats all. also, we could have rteg. him as an adult?? idk that. he is def ready to come back though!

Offline Sargesshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:49 PM »

I understand that it is hard. I have a 14 and a 12 year old boys. I registered to fish for the tournament but I didnt even fish. I wanted my boys to fish so I went to an area where bas normally are. It a catch 22 skybuster. Explain the rules to your kid prior to and you just have to figure out what you want to fish for. Explain to them that t is a derby for kids that are not as fortunate. Congrats to your boy and his catch. We hope you return to the derby as it is for a good cause.
If there is a will there is a way, and I am trying to find my way to some ICE!!!!

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:25 AM »
lol hes not my kid, a friend of mines boy that fished w/ us

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:06 AM »

cant please us all Todd  but seeing how we are on the subject     i liked it better when you had it broken down by fish category's for the kids  i feel it gives the kids more of a feeling of being in the competition with the 5 species more of the kids have a chance to be put on the board and getting the excitement of holding first place . even if they get knocked out of the # 1 slot you always here the kids say i was in first place  but some one beat me ( adults as well) ;D  it gives the kids 5X the chance to make the board in the first place slot. this year it was kinda like a bass derby for the kids and trout for the grown ups. like i said Todd its a good derby and i enjoy fishing it as well as the grandkids  keep up the good work
in god we trust

Offline Morfishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:32 AM »
great job Todd it's all about the kids they had a great time
Fish have tails

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:50 AM »