The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Sebago Ice  (Read 7450 times)

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sebago Ice
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:19 PM »
ditto

Come on guys  i was just outside lighting the fire and driving the stake in the ground   and now you want to give him a break  ??? 

i guess ill have to roast a dog  ( Hot Dog)  ;D

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 09, 2009, 05:50 AM »
Pretty sure Trout Hunter gets it by now but it sure does raise a bigger question.  As nice as the internet is and these types of sites, I've long felt they do more harm to the fisheries than help.  Think about it, had he come on and said I accidentally hooked a 25.5 salmon w/out pic confirmation, people would have been like, yeah right...... as warm as it was Sat., had you held the fish correctly, I don't think you would have drawn any fire whatsoever...lesson learned my friend.

For me, a bigger travesty is probably the number of 8" trout that get posted for a pic for some of the competitions on a brutally cold day that without the comps. would be just slide right back down the hole.  I'm sure many of these fish have been wasted or will end up being discarded with freezer burn at a later time..... 

Only speaking for myself, but I'm willing to trust some one at face value when they say they caught a fish if getting a pic of that fish means putting its life in harms way just to get the picture. ;) Just some thoughts to ponder.... :tipup:

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2009, 05:59 AM »
Pretty sure Trout Hunter gets it by now but it sure does raise a bigger question.  As nice as the internet is and these types of sites, I've long felt they do more harm to the fisheries than help.  Think about it, had he come on and said I accidentally hooked a 25.5 salmon w/out pic confirmation, people would have been like, yeah right...... as warm as it was Sat., had you held the fish correctly, I don't think you would have drawn any fire whatsoever...lesson learned my friend.

For me, a bigger travesty is probably the number of 8" trout that get posted for a pic for some of the competitions on a brutally cold day that without the comps. would be just slide right back down the hole.  I'm sure many of these fish have been wasted or will end up being discarded with freezer burn at a later time..... 

Only speaking for myself, but I'm willing to trust some one at face value when they say they caught a fish if getting a pic of that fish means putting its life in harms way just to get the picture. ;) Just some thoughts to ponder.... :tipup:
Well said GF, I was ticked off because of the way he was holding it.... I am all for a quick pic and release but to run your finger in his gill isn't cool.... plus it was a bad night for me..... ;)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:16 AM »
Well said GF, I was ticked off because of the way he was holding it.... I am all for a quick pic and release but to run your finger in his gill isn't cool.... plus it was a bad night for me..... ;)

I wasn't calling anybody out on this one Mark nor is he being let off the hook, (no pun intended ;D)  He knows and everybody else does that there is a 5 plus pound salmon under the ice dead that he, you, or I will not enjoy this spring  trolling.......I'd be willing to bet that the next fish pic we see from him will be cradled properly, lesson learned. :tipup:

The second part of my statement is a far bigger issue I my mind. 

Offline hoghunta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:29 AM »

I have to disagree with you here..... I have been Ice fishing for 13 years and have never caught a trout under 10 inches (I know they do exist). Also I just went and looked through all the trout entered in the Ice Fisherman of the Year...Not one 8 inch trout there either.
I am not saying that your concern is not valid. I just think thats not the issue here.
I just think if folks wanna call this guy out...it makes more sense to post a link on how to handle fish you plan to release.. Not ridicule him for his lack of experience/knowledge...
Its way to easy to be a monday morning quarterback....
huntin the next hog!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:35 AM »
I have to disagree with you here..... I have been Ice fishing for 13 years and have never caught a trout under 10 inches (I know they do exist). Also I just went and looked through all the trout entered in the Ice Fisherman of the Year...Not one 8 inch trout there either.
I am not saying that your concern is not valid. I just think thats not the issue here.
I just think if folks wanna call this guy out...it makes more sense to post a link on how to handle fish you plan to release.. Not ridicule him for his lack of experience/knowledge...

I only used 8" to make my point....feel free to insert 9", 10", 11", 12" ;D 

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:00 AM »
When the temps are in the negative side,even getting a camera out is almost fruitless.Calling anyone out for posting a pic of fish that aren't suppose to be taken is like posting a pic going down the wrong way on a one way street and not expecting a response.............m onday morning quarterback..... ??? ??? ??? Think  Mark might be more of a franchise quarterback in most books................. ... :tipup:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline FishME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:06 AM »
Also if you are trying to teach a guy the "right thing"..... he just might be more receptive to your opinion if you dont make him look/feel like an idiot and address him respectfully

Agreed..............

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #38 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:08 AM »
I wasn't calling anybody out on this one Mark nor is he being let off the hook, (no pun intended ;D)  He knows and everybody else does that there is a 5 plus pound salmon under the ice dead that he, you, or I will not enjoy this spring  trolling.......I'd be willing to bet that the next fish pic we see from him will be cradled properly, lesson learned. :tipup:

The second part of my statement is a far bigger issue I my mind. 
You have to be prepared when wanting ot take a pic of a fish that is being released. You can usually tell when fighting the fish if it is worth a picture.
That is when I tell whoever is with me get the camera ready. Once the camera is ready I will get the fish out of the hole, hold him for the pic and back down the hole he goes, the leader is usually cut at this point....
Oh by the way...
Don't forget to ;D

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #39 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:11 AM »
Everyone makes mistakes now and then, it only human. Remember the time you tried to take a leak behind the truck only to find out there was a car load of people looking at you when they turned on the highbeams. You learn from your mistakes sometimes. ;D
Steve

Offline Chebeague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:10 AM »
Are we not concerned about all the salmon swimming around with hooks and leaders hanging out of there mouths. If the hook can be easily removed do so don't cut the leader just because it is a salmon. you can take the hook out without taking them out of the water. Obviously don't gill any fish you plan to release. Just saying don't be so quick to leave the hook in them.

Offline tigershark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:12 AM »

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:18 AM »
agreed

Ya well if people would learn a little about what they were doing than this would not happen !!!!!!

Offline FishME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:18 AM »

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #44 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:52 PM »
"Sebago Lake  Trout and landlocked salmon may not be taken by ice fishing."

I don't know about anyone else..............but according to this rule, I have always interpreted taken to mean "caught".....not neccessarily kept or taken home.  The only way to actually catch something is to land it, or handle it (which is what you have to do to get a length and picture).  At that point it is technically considered a catch as the fish has been "taken" and therefore is ILLEGAL!  Don't you think the rule would state "catch and release only" if they wanted you to fish for them and take the fish out of the water for pictures? >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( 

Offline FishME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:02 PM »
I don't know about anyone else..............but according to this rule, I have always interpreted taken to mean "caught".....not neccessarily kept or taken home.  The only way to actually catch something is to land it, or handle it (which is what you have to do to get a length and picture).  At that point it is technically considered a catch as the fish has been "taken" and therefore is ILLEGAL!  Don't you think the rule would state "catch and release only" if they wanted you to fish for them and take the fish out of the water for pictures? >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( 
Then...Why not use the same language as the Moosehead law? 

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #46 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:24 PM »
Ask the guys in Augusta that question.  I don't know why they would be any different from each other.  Too many people have been busting their you know what's to help out the salmon in Sebago and Moosehead recover.  Resist the urge to set a salmon line.  I think it is called having a little INTEGRITY.  You know, doing what is right even you really don't have to.

FYI- A friend of mine found some set lines in the ice set only a few feet down with live smelts last year at the Sebago derby.  Needless to say, those that set them were not trying to catch a lake trout.  Now that is the kind of BS that needs to stop.  People with that kind of mentality really need to get a grip.  >:(

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:42 PM »
What hapened to this thread? it started out for ice conditions on Sebago! ::)
Never Give Up!

Offline Trout HUnter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 10, 2009, 05:52 AM »
my thing is why were you fishing salmon depths anyways.. should be fishing low not right under ice.. least that way you lessen your Salmon catching chances... :-[

he was caught on the bottom... catching alot of salmon that way this year... and also gettin alot of touge right under the ice so who is to say what depth is best for what.... ???

and i do understand what all you guys are saying about touching the gills trust me ive fished since i was about 2 ive caught my share of fish
and it wasnt even me that gilled him that was my buddy, he acualy caught it

i dont have tome to read all those pages of post... i got to go fishing
if i get a salmon today i wont post the pics ;D jk

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #49 on: Feb 10, 2009, 07:31 AM »
You'd be starting off the day right by not taking the time to take a picture at all.  Leave the salmon alone by cutting the line as close to the hook as soon as you can tell you have a salmon in the hole.  Leave them alone ice fishing............tha t is the best way we've been able to salvage the fishery.  I can tell you right now, if word gets out about guys fishing for salmon on Sebago, they won't hesitate to shut the place down.  Now don't go and ruin it for the rest of us that know how to fish for lakers! >:(

Offline FishME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!
« Reply #50 on: Feb 10, 2009, 07:44 AM »
You'd be starting off the day right by not taking the time to take a picture at all.  Leave the salmon alone by cutting the line as close to the hook as soon as you can tell you have a salmon in the hole.  Leave them alone ice fishing............tha t is the best way we've been able to salvage the fishery.  I can tell you right now, if word gets out about guys fishing for salmon on Sebago, they won't hesitate to shut the place down.  Now don't go and ruin it for the rest of us that know how to fish for lakers! >:(
:clap:

Offline OLBLUUU

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big
« Reply #51 on: Feb 10, 2009, 07:59 AM »
before they shut sebago down , which they could and would , they first would  post a bunch of game wardens on the lake just to bust everyone's butt on the issue , THEN THEY SHUT IT DOWN , there is always someone in every crowd that ruins it for the rest   :(

Offline stormi1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:42 AM »
Not looking for any hot spots just wondering Ware it's safe and area's to stay away from? Jordan's Bay, Spider Island, Fry Island, Camels Pasture, Squaw Island, Eastern shore of Big Lake. Just want to stay safe any info would be appreciated.
me and my buddy were out on sebago yesterday by songo river watched a truck go through and sink, out probably 100 yards off shore

Offline OLBLUUU

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big
« Reply #53 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:53 AM »
me and my buddy were out on sebago yesterday by songo river watched a truck go through and sink, out probably 100 yards off shore
that's always good for the lake

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:12 AM »
Sebago should be a "no live fish as bait" lake during the ice season anyway,with pics like that i'm sure it will be before long.

Offline OLBLUUU

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big
« Reply #55 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:19 AM »
Sebago should be a "no live fish as bait" lake during the ice season anyway,with pics like that i'm sure it will be before long.

good point buddah , just like in the spring the rules should state catch and releese only til june 1st

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #56 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:21 AM »

Totally support Joe in this thread, respect the heck out of buddah too but I don't think this is necessary. Nor is mandatory C&R.

Offline THREECAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:34 AM »

This would make sense on a number of fronts.
He suggested the pike were probably placed by an angler dissatisfied with, or simply not up to, the challenges of fishing for trout or salmon.”

Offline OLBLUUU

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big
« Reply #58 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:36 AM »
Totally support Joe in this thread, respect the heck out of buddah too but I don't think this is necessary. Nor is mandatory C&R.

anonymous_

Re: Prominent Sebago Fishing Iniative Member Caught over the limit
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 08:07 PM » Reply with quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the salmon in Sebago are as valuable and vulnerable as people say they are, why don't we see any changes in the regulations to protect these fish.  We all know at this stage in the game, the fish are stacked up around the smelt runs that still exist in the lake.  In a few weeks, these fish will once again spread back out around the lake with the smelts and again seem almost non-existent.  So......I ask....if these fish are supposively on the brink of exinction.........why isn't there a catch and release season from April 1- May 15 and an ALO regulation in place?
I only ask this because I see a lot of people get upset when one of these big salmon is kept.  Is the general concensus here that you let all your sebago salmon go?  If so, why don't you do something to change the regulations?
Sorry, not trying to stir any pots here......just a thought from reading all the sebago chatter lately.

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #59 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:55 AM »
I'm not trying to stir the turd either. I don't agree with the anonymous poster whatsoever. IMO the position is built on a faulty premise. First, I don't think the fish are on the brink of extinction. Not in Sebago or across the state. I don't think allowing a one fish harvest hurts either. C&R in many places has led to bigger numbers of fish but stunting of the population.

Fact remains what is being done at Sebago regulation wise seems to be working and working well.

Fact remains we have beaten back attempts to enact NLFAB statewide, we have beaten back attempts to enact C&R on many more waters. I don't think it is necessary, Maine has adequate laws on baitfish.

Having said that I didn't keep a salmon from sebago last year nor did anyone in my boat. That was my choice. I released several dozen fish and I think most if not all made it to fight again.

The only thing I would do different with regard to Sebago is more smelt restoration.

I find it ironic that many guys that like to hammer them when they are stacked up in the river pre-spawn don't like any fishing for them when they are stacked up chasing the smelts. Not saying that is anyone in this thread, I have met plenty of fisherman face to face that have stated that. What is the difference other than I think it is less sporting to fish for spawner's than it is for fish with full bellies that are just actively feeding.

Joe has made some real good points in this thread. Sure you can catch a togue with a set under the ice. Fact remains that you will limit your bycatch of salmon by fishing the bottom 1/3 of the water column. I never set my togue sets under the ice even if it would mean less fish caught. We are lucky to get to fish Sebago at all. Lets not let a few ruin it for the rest of us.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.