Author Topic: Lighting the Shanty  (Read 3771 times)

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lighting the Shanty
« on: Dec 27, 2003, 04:00 PM »
I was just wondering what people use to light the shanty at night. I have and use my double mantle coleman propane lantern, but when i set it on the floor, it is hard to see at 'hand level' for line tying and such. i am afraid that if i hand the lantern from the metal crossbar it will be too close to the seiling and the heat will melt the material..... besides..... i use my lantern for heat and if its on the ceiling i wont get any heat from it. Any other ideas for good lighting in the shanty at night?

thanks         Melbs          :'(

Offline Outdoors_Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Lighting the Shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2003, 08:08 PM »
I use a Coleman Electric Northstar Lantern . Uses D cell batteries and it will light up a 1,500 sq. ft. area. You can hang it where ever you need to give you the optimal lighting.

acsacmboy

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2003, 06:46 PM »
if you need some light at about eye level for tying jigs and stuff, try a snake light. wrap it around a pole(shanty holder uper things) and your in business

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2003, 07:30 AM »
I have a Frabill ranger twin. I bought a heat lamp for 4.99, cut the plugin off wired in a 12 volt plugin and put a 12 volt bulb in it. Works great and you clip it anywhere you please

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2003, 03:31 PM »
when you say a 12 Volt plug do you mean a cig. lighter adapter and you can only use it when ur able to drive out on the lake? or do you actually carry a 12 Volt deep cycle battery around with you?

Melbs              :'(

bohmanj

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2003, 06:11 PM »
in my old ice shack i wired two lights to a switch then to an outlet which then i used set of jumper cables cut in half and put a plug on the end i cut and used a marine battery to connect it to.

pikepicker

Re: Lighting the Shanty
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2004, 07:30 PM »
In my shant i put a peac of flashing above where i lanturn is hanging it keep the heat down

pikepicker

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2004, 09:29 AM »
try hanging the lantern from a small diameter chain. it will keep the heat off the fabric put the light where you need it and supply heat also. the chain should be 12-14" long.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2004, 08:50 AM »
Clam came out with a 12V 6 ft. rope light that you attach to the poles.  They two types one that's LED for $29.95 and one that is $14.95 is non led.  I would buy the LED one, it will last much long on a battery.

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2004, 09:01 AM »
I use a head light, it fits over my hat. I also found a light that  fits on my vex. it works off the battery to the finder!!
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline KeystoneICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2004, 05:18 PM »
I also use a head light.  I have one that has three different lights - yellow, florescent, red.  It works great and lasts a long time.  Since you already have a light for your tent a head light works great cause you can turn it on and off.  I also like it when walking back to the truck because you don't have to carry it.  Hope this helps.
Time to fish.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2004, 07:17 PM »
you can do some cool things with rope lights...lookey what my sister made for me!!

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2004, 07:24 PM »
nice  ;D
Anthony

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2004, 11:12 PM »
What the heck is it? It looks like an octopus or maybe a duck with a kerchief on it's head. Or some kind of a mollusk. Anyway, you're right, you can do a lot with rope lights.
I use a battery powered closet light. I attach it with self stick velcro like HIMO said and I have several areas I can attach it depending where I need light. It works with 2 AA batteries and throws just enough light. I also have a single mantle propane lantern attached directly to the 20# tank. It's enough for mood light and enough heat on warmer days. The headlamp is great for tipups or to make sure I don't pee on my auger.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2004, 02:44 AM »
its the flying elvis...new england patriots logo!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.