Author Topic: trout at night  (Read 21447 times)

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
trout at night
« on: Nov 22, 2002, 04:15 PM »
Anyone ever fish at night for trout?If so how was the fishing?I'M thinking about trying it this season.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: trout at night
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2002, 03:18 AM »
I'm not sure what species you fish, but fishing for rainbows at night ca be awesome at certain times of year, if certain insects are present.  Though the ice the bite is usually good shallow, morning and evening, deep throughout the day, then typically dying off as darkness falls.  A trout's diet is limited under the ice(depending on location) to mainly minnows, backswimmers, waterboatman, and insect larva.

The reservoir I fish has a heavy midge hatch around the first week of August.  This particular species of midge hatch at night, so the trout go on the feed just before dark and remain active  all night long.  It is an absolute blast.  On a calm night the pupa get trapped in the film and the trout cruise like sharks with their backs out of the water inhaling everything in sight.  There are literally millions of insects so it can be tough to get the fish to notice your artificial.  You have to cast just in front of a cruising fish then impart a little movement.  It also helps to tie your fly a size or two larger than the natural.
Man, there's nothing like hooking a five pound trout on light tackle in almost complete darkness.  This last for about a week then it's over for another year.  Anyway, this is an ice fishing site so I'll shut up now.

This is the only time I find it useful to fish trout at night, but maybe some of the other guys may have a difference of opinion...

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2002, 02:46 PM »
Caught a 12 3/4 lb rainbow at 1 in the morning thru the ice. Let him go as had a 3lber for the frying pan already. The bows  I do catch at night seem to be of the bigger class. A nice bonus is alot less pressure at night. Have fun with the big boys, which I'm sure you will.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2003, 02:11 AM »
Salmotrutta, we have to have a road trip to B.C. Release a 12 3/4# and keep a 3 lb'er. Way to go terry!
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2003, 03:25 PM »
Sounds good Flash King.Are you from N.H.?Been nailing the rainbows on my home lake.Fish are ranging from 15 to 16 inches.I need to catch some Browns,that's the only trout that really counts for me.Do you chase trout?

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2003, 01:14 PM »
Used to target trout exclusively, but with the grandson and the limited time I have a chance to get on the ice,now-a-days go for quanity of flags,nomatter what's on the end of the line! Best trout lake I have ever fished in NH was Tewksbury Pond in Grafton,small and holds a excellent pop.of holdovers. Never caught a brown over 18" but have seen 5lb+ taken.Winnepocket(Warner)-good early-hard to get on after the lake shore residents put up their NO TREPPASING signs,Beaver(Derry)-by the south beach area,Bow(Your home water??),Horace,Canobie-Pump house area,Lake tarlaton-north end where brook enters,Arimington,Crystal(Eaton),Catamount,Laurel Lake,Derring Res.. The only draw back of fishing trout in NH is the limit of only 2, live in Mass on the NH line, and if you have to travel any distance to tag only 2 trout for $53 sometimes you wonder if it's worth it.
Good Luck - Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2003, 05:35 PM »
Flash_king, NH laws say you can fish for trout for two hours after sunset. When I used to fish on the Big lake, we would keep jigging well after sunset. The lakers would drop off right about sunset and we would bring in the tip-ups and jig one ounce bucktails with a piece of cut bait. Maybe a half hour after moving into the shack, we would start hammering the Cusk. Think they are better than lakers in a pot anyday.

Don_In_Denver

« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2003, 09:15 PM »
My experience is that some trout lakes are good icefishing at night and in others I cannot buy a strike. I haven't figured out what makes the difference, though. It sure is great fun when you find a good night bite lake.

Offline Venzulo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get outta the house you lazy basstard!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2003, 10:52 AM »
To all, what is the recommended "night" bait? Powerbait? I would assume smell is more important than action. Are you just under the ice? Sandy bottom and 5-10 feet of water as usual for Rainbows or does it matter? Thanks-V
-V

Don_In_Denver

« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2003, 03:21 PM »
I've always liked a small marabou jig with a glow head, cartreuse or red body, and a white tail, or a glow tube jig. I tip them with a waxworm or powerbait. I've recently been fishing at night with the 1/100 oz. Shrimpo from Custom Jigs and Spins. Both the head and the plastic body glow in the dark. I tip them with a waxworm, too. They really do look like a freshwater shrimp. I've done really well with both the chartreuse and the pink. In fact, the last two trips they have outfished the marabou jigs.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2003, 07:44 AM »
Reading back on some of these posts maybe I should have clarified: I don't have much luck catching lake trout thru the ice at night. I do seem to have luck fishing rainbow trout at night. Like Don in denver says it can be hit and miss. But for me it seems to be more hit. I fish in a speed shak and have the propane light on fairly high. Maybe this helps???I also use a flasher lure with a small jig down from that, with a small piece of worm. But it seems when they are biting they are biting on most that I have to offer. Also seem to have slight better luck when the moon is large in the sky. I fish from 5-28ft of h20. Here in B.C. you can fish all night if you wish. They get a bit testy when it comes to using lights to attract fish so I put my propane lights on high in my speed shak. Have not been asked about it by the game boys but then again they are at home sleeping. Most of the fish I catch are released but like to weigh the lunkers I catch before releasing them. Sometimes after a long fight they have to be revieved so I have a extra wide revieving hole. Happy fishing.

Offline Grnmtn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2003, 02:13 PM »
I run the same light I use for night fishing walleyes. It is hooked to the battery of my depth finder and I slided it into the water to the bottom of the ice. Lakes where there are smelt you will find the trout crusin thru for a quick meal attracked by the light. I also use tip up sets with power bait with bells attatched to the flag arm to alert me and set those close to the shack.

Light woks great for crappies too, but can be too bright, then I just lay it on the ice if thick enought to just make the ice glow.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2003, 05:34 PM »
Had to chuckle reading Don's post. Lucked into a great night bite recently. Using a bright pink jig, with black marabou tail,(OK a couple strands of krytal-flash too) and a chartreuse teardrop 10" above that. Both were tipped with waxworms. Had just picked up three tipups, and was putting away my first jigging rod when the spring bobber dipped on my final rig. Had only had one bite in previos 2 hrs. Caught my first rainbow just as it got too dark to see. Put out the Coleman, and caught 5 more in the next 40 min. They were only stockers up to a foot, but they were really biting nicely, plus a good tussle on a little  jigging stick. Took three home and had a nice trout dinner. Put my money on pink or chart. for trout!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.