Author Topic: Jig recommendation for 5" glow tubes for lake trout  (Read 13634 times)

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Jig recommendation for 5" glow tubes for lake trout
« on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:09 AM »
I bought some 5" tubes along with some 3.5" ones. We normally use the 3.5 to 4 inchers.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for an insider or ball type jig with a shank long enough for the 5" tubes.

I was kinda thinking it might be nice to ahve something a bit bigger to throw at them.

I am coming up blank with the ole google fu.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jig recommendation for 5" glow tubes for lake trout
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:17 PM »
Why not make some good trailer hooks for your jigs.  Buy some good steel leader material, some sleeves and high quality hooks.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:04 AM »
I do not think trailer hooks are legal where we fish.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:45 AM »
i use the 3/8oz. gam. ones from jans netcraft. the hooks are needle sharp and 2x's stronger than bass tube jig hooks. landed a 21lb. muskie on one so i know they can hold up to the biggest lakers. little more money but worth it.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:34 AM »
I use 1/2 ounce gamaktsu5/0 hooks.check ohioprolure
Jig em up!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:09 AM »
You can kind of see what I did in this picture:

I had on my biggest fish of the trip when I finally tied them on. I took our usual jig, inserted it shy of the nose of the tube, and then tore the tail of the tube to clear the shank of the hook. It worked good.

The heavier jigs do not present the proper action to the tube. You want them to flutter and swim down kind of slow. It takes a bit longer for them to get down to depth but it is worth it. A lot of the jigs I found that looked long enough had the eye coming out the front of the jig, turned 90°, and angled forward. I think it might be called shakey style. With that type of jig the tube doesn't sit horizontal in the water and the knot isn't positioned correct.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2012, 02:47 AM »
I rig my tubes the same way.99% of the time I have a tube on for lakers.I also have some 5 1/2" tubes.I do wish I could find some longer shank high quality tube jigs.I did find some low quality ones and lost a big laker cause the hook straightened out.I also have been trying out swim baits.
Jig em up!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Radical Glow is the manufacturer. I e-mailed them shortly after I go them and they said they had a prototype jig but it wasn't satisfactory so the molds were being reworked.

http://www.radicalglow.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_42&osCsid=9507f50f003c11d4d9ab05caacf6b64f

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2012, 02:07 PM »
Radical Glow is the manufacturer. I e-mailed them shortly after I go them and they said they had a prototype jig but it wasn't satisfactory so the molds were being reworked.

http://www.radicalglow.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_42&osCsid=9507f50f003c11d4d9ab05caacf6b64f

Thanks for posting that..gonna order some.. ;)
Jig em up!

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2012, 02:16 AM »
Never had one miss it on a 2.5 Gitzit. I use the hooks it comes with.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2012, 06:47 AM »
I bought some 5" tubes along with some 3.5" ones. We normally use the 3.5 to 4 inchers.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for an insider or ball type jig with a shank long enough for the 5" tubes.

I was kinda thinking it might be nice to ahve something a bit bigger to throw at them.

I am coming up blank with the ole google fu.

Hard_h20,Had any luck finding any jigs?
Jig em up!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2012, 10:16 AM »
Hard_h20,Had any luck finding any jigs?

I never found the jigs I was looking for.

In the above picture you can see the 5" tube at the bottom fitted with the jig I normally use on 3.5" and 4" tubes.

It worked fine so I will probably not worry about it in the future. If I see something I will buy them but I am confident in the rigging I improvised.

I assume most of these larger types of tubes are rigged with an offset hook and not an insider type of jig.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:11 PM »
You could try some of these:
https://redrockstore.com/Catalog/index.php?crn=74&rn=2905&action=show_detail
I use the 1oz model for the big tubes, but they are (and have been) out of stock all season. Hasn't been a problem for me though. My lake trout lake has yet to freeze this year.... :'( :'( :'(

BIGJim223

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2012, 10:09 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on those. I will have to pick some up. They are a bit heavier than what I like but if they work then that is all that matters.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.