Author Topic: Green Bombs  (Read 15556 times)

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
Green Bombs
« on: Dec 27, 2012, 01:51 PM »
This may be old news to many, but it's new to me!

I have paid $3.00 per 1 lb propane cylinder for years.  I just found that Mr. Heater makes an adapter that allows you to fill used 1 lb cylinders from your 20 lb tank.  The adapter costs $15 at Gander Mountain (plus shipping) and $25 at Tractor Supply, which means that it will pay for itself after only refilling twelve cylinders and heating the portable shack won't be quite as expensive.

Just thought that I'd share.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Mr-Heater-Propane-Tank-Refill-Adapter&i=433505&r=view&aID=504C1&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=343333353035&s_kwcid=goobase_goobase_filler&cID=GSHOP_433505

-Ron

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Home of the Free !!!!!!!!
Re: Green Bombs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:17 PM »
You should do some searching on here and read some of the posts.....it is dangerous doing it....but hey, each their own @)

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:18 PM »
If you read the laws. It is legal to refill those tanks. However it is Illegal to transport those refilled tanks

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:22 PM »
Makes no sense to do it IMO.

1lbers on sale for $2.50 all the time at walmart.

LP is $1.20 a pound or so around here.

A savings of $1.30 a day (maybe double that if you fish sun up to sun down). With the added risk of blowing yourself and your shanty sky high WHEN the valve sticks. Not if, when. Everybody who has refilled them knows that you will get a couple where the valve sticks in the cold, they were not made to be refilled. Just pray it happens at home while refilling and not when you are in the shanty with a lit flame.

Savings of $1.30 each means its going to take what, 12 refills to break even on your adapter. I use maybe 20 a year at the very absolute most... I'll spend the extra $10-20 a year and just buy them. If you are using more than 20 a year, get a 5lb tank and a hose.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:40 PM »
All right! The 2012/13 version of the "little green bomb" thread.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:05 PM »
I have the fill adapter and have filled a bunch mostly because I was out of them when I needed the lantern.
I have a 5#tank and a hose for the shack.
There are a few things you should know.
To fill have your 1# tank in the freezer and your 20 warm- room temp hook them up and turn the 20 upside down fill for 60 seconds.
Never fill a tank that shows signs of rust and I keep track of the number of times each was refilled 3 times max for me.
They wont be full no mater what you do about 3/4 is what I get.
It is a total adrenalin rush filling them.
If some one gets hurt with one you refilled they could end up driving your truck and living in your house.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:52 PM »
I must not fish enough - or I'm just too cold blooded to care.  I barely make it through 2 tanks a season, but then again I only turn the heater on if I'm in my shack.  And if I'm in my shack - well, it's pretty cold out.   ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:56 PM »
All right! The 2012/13 version of the "little green bomb" thread.  ;D ;D ;D
(Image removed from quote.)

I wonder if we get to make Barbacoa out of the dead horse when they get done beating it! ;D

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2012, 08:11 PM »
The choice is yours, here is some info so you can make an educated decision

Link to the manufacturers instructions for refilling:

http://maccoupler.com/support.php

Link to the law stated on the label: (49 U.S.C. 5124) -

http://uscode.house.gov/uscode-cgi/fastweb.exe?getdoc+uscview+t49t50+143+1++%28%29%20%20AND

Please look at both of these before you determine safe/unsafe and legality.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2012, 08:24 PM »
I received a five pound tank for Christmas and got it filled today. Came to $4.04. .81 cents a pound. Beats the crap out of paying three!

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2012, 08:50 PM »
I wonder if we get to make Barbacoa out of the dead horse when they get done beating it! ;D

Yes we can! Low and sloooow is the way to go, otherwise it comes out a little tough and chewy no matter how well beaten it is!  ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2012, 08:54 PM »
I just hate to see meat that has been pretenderized to this extent to go to waste. ;)

Five pound tanks are my choice too... Expensive little buggers though. :-\

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2012, 09:48 PM »
I received a five pound tank for Christmas and got it filled today. Came to $4.04. .81 cents a pound. Beats the crap out of paying three!

That is exactly the way to go! Completely safe (well as safe as you can get), and just as cheap as refilling bombs. If you normally carry two 1lb tanks with you, then its only an extra what, 5lbs or so? Less than a flasher. You wont even know its back there if you pull your sled by hand.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2012, 10:08 PM »
Was reserching refilled 1lb propane tank failures and found this. Seems leaking valves are found and taken care of correctly by the ones filling. I had on leak. Screwed it onto my buddy heater. Couldn't find a filled cylinder event. It will happen though as a less compitent person will get thier hands on one.

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2012, 11:53 AM »
I always get a kick out of the "little green bomb" arguments

Offline crankshaft013

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2012, 12:28 PM »
That is exactly the way to go! Completely safe (well as safe as you can get), and just as cheap as refilling bombs. If you normally carry two 1lb tanks with you, then its only an extra what, 5lbs or so? Less than a flasher. You wont even know its back there if you pull your sled by hand.

If you guys are anything like me, you take everything but the kitchen sink..  so much stuff that doesn't even get thought of being used for anything..   I pull my quickflip 2 by hand every day throughout our hard water season, and with all the stuff loaded in there the 5lb tank makes no difference at all.!

I'm all for saving money (and putting it towards more gear!) Definitely one of those guys that I'll build it myself before I buy it.. But ya gotta draw the line somewhere..   

Doesn't make much sense to me to spend all this money on float suits, and other various safety gear just to blow yourself up.. haha

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2012, 02:28 PM »
To the guys that call them "Little Green Bombs".  Do you have any instances where they blew up?  If they did, would they be any different than a brand new, from the manufacturer, bottle?  Or are they just as safe or unsafe as the new ones.  Are 5 lbers really any safer?  There's more propane to have an issue with in a 5 lber than in a 1 lber.
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2012, 02:47 PM »
I use a 5lb refillable and I also refill my 1lb cylinders.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:06 PM »
To the guys that call them "Little Green Bombs".  Do you have any instances where they blew up?  If they did, would they be any different than a brand new, from the manufacturer, bottle?  Or are they just as safe or unsafe as the new ones.  Are 5 lbers really any safer?  There's more propane to have an issue with in a 5 lber than in a 1 lber.

Nope, none went boom on me. I have had the valve leak and had to throw them out on the ice as far away from anyone as I could then pick up the empty bottle the next day. If I wasnt paying attention and had a heater going it could have ended badly. It was a spare in the shanty that evidently froze and opened the valve. I started faintly smelling propane and picked it up, I could smell it coming out so I flipped up the shanty and threw it as far as I could across the ice where nobody was.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:06 PM »

I seem to remember an older gentleman dieing in an explosion in his garage last winter. He was refilling 1#ers and evidently had a leak of some sort. Are refilled 1#ers any more dangerous than factory filled ones, probably not.

My original post in this thread had more to do with the recurring nature of this topic, and the ensuing war of words that inevitably follows. Similar examples of this dead horse abuse can be found in threads about flashers, cameras, fishing line, etal.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:09 PM »
I seem to remember an older gentleman dieing in an explosion in his garage last winter. He was refilling 1#ers and evidently had a leak of some sort. Are refilled 1#ers any more dangerous than factory filled ones, probably not.

My original post in this thread had more to do with the recurring nature of this topic, and the ensuing war of words that inevitably follows. Similar examples of this dead horse abuse can be found in threads about flashers, cameras, fishing line, etal.

If we only talked about each topic once, there would be no forum here.. just an index of topics. That is the good part about this forum, the same topics are brought up each year to get new input and ideas.. it keeps it fresh.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:16 PM »
If we only talked about each topic once, there would be no forum here.. just an index of topics. That is the good part about this forum, the same topics are brought up each year to get new input and ideas.. it keeps it fresh.

If only that were true.  ;)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:18 PM »
If only that were true.  ;)

I didnt post any stories on the other green bomb thread... so we already got some new input with this one.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:47 PM »
The choice is yours, here is some info so you can make an educated decision

Link to the manufacturers instructions for refilling:

http://maccoupler.com/support.php

Link to the law stated on the label: (49 U.S.C. 5124) -

http://uscode.house.gov/uscode-cgi/fastweb.exe?getdoc+uscview+t49t50+143+1++%28%29%20%20AND

Please look at both of these before you determine safe/unsafe and legality.

FYI: The law on transportation only applies to commercial transport.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2012, 06:26 PM »
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2012, 06:27 PM »
FYI: The law on transportation only applies to commercial transport.

That is exactly why I posted the link to the actual statute, so it could be read by everyone and maybe the BS about it being illegal will finally stop.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2012, 06:28 PM »
This reminds me. I need to bring the 20lber in the house and warm it up.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2012, 06:32 PM »

This reminds me. I need to bring the 20lber in the house and warm it up.

;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.