The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Nelson Reservoir  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Bhoesl

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nelson Reservoir
« on: Jan 03, 2024, 10:24 AM »
I wouldn't normally ask for specific advice on a lake like this but here's the situation.  In a couple weeks I'm going to be taking a friend to Nelson for a couple days, this friend is a disabled veteran who is totally blind.  Obviously his lack of eye sight will make it a little tougher trying to move around alot to find fish and I'd really like to get him onto some decent fishing.
So if anyone would be willing to share any advice (either here or in a private message) about spots to try on Nelson, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks
Ben

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Nelson Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2024, 11:50 AM »
Ping SRA61, he may be able to help you.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2024, 07:43 AM »
I can tell you I have had miserable fishing when I access from the east side boat ramp and walk out on foot. Can't walk far enough to get any depth. I noticed most of the shacks were west to north west and got there on a wheeler or a SxS, one of the reasons I bought one and I haven't gone back yet.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2024, 08:17 AM »
I wouldn't normally ask for specific advice on a lake like this but here's the situation.  In a couple weeks I'm going to be taking a friend to Nelson for a couple days, this friend is a disabled veteran who is totally blind.  Obviously his lack of eye sight will make it a little tougher trying to move around alot to find fish and I'd really like to get him onto some decent fishing.
So if anyone would be willing to share any advice (either here or in a private message) about spots to try on Nelson, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks
Ben
rent one of the ice campers they have out there...they usually have them on producing spots.
Dont ask

Offline Bhoesl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2024, 09:48 AM »
Ping SRA61, he may be able to help you.

will do, Thanks.

Offline Bhoesl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2024, 09:51 AM »
rent one of the ice campers they have out there...they usually have them on producing spots.

Thanks, we're actually looking into renting one of those. The lady I talked to sounded like if we went that route, they would be bringing it out and dropping it off, not already out there...  Maybe just depends who had it rented previously.
Have you rented one before, and do you think they're worth the price?
Thanks

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2024, 01:37 PM »
Just curious but are the ice campers ran it out through sleeping Buffalo Hot Springs resort or is it somebody else?

Tried googling it but couldn't find any information.
"You will never be criticized by a guy catching more fish. Only by guys who are catching less."

Offline Bhoesl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2024, 02:08 PM »
Just curious but are the ice campers ran it out through sleeping Buffalo Hot Springs resort or is it somebody else?

Tried googling it but couldn't find any information.

Yes, they're rented from the sleeping buffalo.  I think we've decided to give that a try.  I''l post back after and let everyone know what we thought of them.

Offline REDin13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2024, 03:00 PM »
haven't seen it mentioned so I thought I would. the tournament is scheduled for the 27th and 28th of January. there usually are a lot of people that attend it and some show up days before to check things out.

Offline Bhoesl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2024, 04:41 PM »
haven't seen it mentioned so I thought I would. the tournament is scheduled for the 27th and 28th of January. there usually are a lot of people that attend it and some show up days before to check things out.

Thanks for pointing that out.  looks like we are going monday thru wednesday of that week so hopefully it wont be too crazy busy yet.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2024, 01:15 PM »
They don’t leave the ice houses on the lake all season.  They keep them on shore and tow them out to specific spots when you rent them.

Offline Bhoesl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2024, 01:41 PM »
Thanks, yeah that’s what I found out.  We rented one for Jan 22-24.
Thanks for the help everyone 👍

Offline Jeremyc_1999

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2024, 08:48 PM »
Thanks, yeah that’s what I found out.  We rented one for Jan 22-24.
Thanks for the help everyone 👍

Please post how it is. I’ve been considering taking my 3 and 5 year old out to one

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.