Author Topic: Ice Shack stolen and burned to the ground  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles
Ice Shack stolen and burned to the ground
« on: Mar 09, 2019, 01:08 PM »
At one of my local lakes a fellow fisher's permy shack got stolen and burned to the ground a few miles away.

What kind of loser does this? Being that it was burned I'd assume the act was personal and not just random thievery.

Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Ice Shack stolen and burned to the ground
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2019, 01:19 PM »
Either someone had something against him or it was just some losers with nothing else to do.
<===Lefty===

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2019, 01:31 PM »
Wow! Sorry to hear about that. Need to get word out every where and try to find who did this horrible thing. I couldn't even imagine if someone did this to my property. Hope the person that owns the shack finds out who did it and gets to beat the sh** out of them
America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2019, 01:58 PM »
Was it the owner?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2019, 03:59 PM »
Sucks. That happened to few of ours years back. Haven't had a permy since.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:04 PM »
Somebody triggered by seeing Old Glory?

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2019, 07:47 AM »
Somebody triggered by seeing Old Glory?

come on man...

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2019, 08:11 AM »
We had a guy on our lake burn his shanty that was froze in the ice. I called our CO. He was easy on the guy and only gave him a littering ticket. When I was telling a friend that is a state fire marshal about it he told me that any form of arson is a felony so the guy got off easy.

Hopefully when the catch the perp they charge him with a felony.

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2019, 11:02 AM »
We had a guy on our lake burn his shanty that was froze in the ice. I called our CO. He was easy on the guy and only gave him a littering ticket. When I was telling a friend that is a state fire marshal about it he told me that any form of arson is a felony so the guy got off easy.

I hope so too. This area is a fairly tight knit community so I wouldn't be surprised if someone knows who did it. I hope they make an example out of whoever did it.
Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2019, 03:37 PM »

come on man...

Not sure where you're from, but it's a thing around here.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2019, 08:04 PM »
At one of my local lakes a fellow fisher's permy shack got stolen and burned to the ground a few miles away.

What kind of loser does this? Being that it was burned I'd assume the act was personal and not just random thievery.

Probably some Trevor trash. I used to fish camp and center lake all the time. Some rough customers on the camp lake side. Center is a bit different animal.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:58 PM »

Wouldn’t it only be considered arson if one tried to claim insurance for it or gain something?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2019, 10:57 PM »
Wouldn’t it only be considered arson if one tried to claim insurance for it or gain something?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arson

Arson
Arson is a crime of intentionally, deliberately and maliciously setting fire to buildings, wildland areas, abandoned homes, vehicles or other property with the intent to cause damage or enjoy the act. It may be distinguished from other causes such as spontaneous combustion, accidental fires and natural wildfires. Arson often involves someone deliberately burning their own property, or having someone else do it, to collect the insurance.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:19 PM »
Not sure where you're from, but it's a thing around here.

People set buildings on fire because they display the American flag?

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:03 AM »

Fishing those high alpine lakes in Iran  ::)
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:04 PM »
People steal stuff all the time.  I left a small wood cart trailer in the woods for a couple of hours unattended.  Someone decided it was lost or somehting and off they went.  Lucky for me they left their name and address on a piece of paper that fell out there vehicle which I reported to the police. A few hours later the police called and said that they found the trailer at the guys house and that he wasn't trying to hide it or anything as it was on his front lawn.  I then asked if he had a  For Sale sign on it.  The guy stole my trailer. Period.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:42 AM »
If he wasn't trying to claim insurance that kinda rules arson out.  Littering was about the only thing left unless there was a no burn ban or something of that nature.  Besides the CO would of give every thing he could I would think. In  any case that sucks.  Watch your back.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:48 AM »

Burning it down is a crime in-and-of itself (arson). Claiming insurance after you burn it yourself (or have a buddy do it for you) is insurance fraud.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2019, 08:22 AM »
Burning it down is a crime in-and-of itself (arson). Claiming insurance after you burn it yourself (or have a buddy do it for you) is insurance fraud.

You read the definition?

Arson is a crime of intentionally, deliberately and maliciously

So if I wanna burn my shack just to get rid of it that doesn't sound like arson to me.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2019, 09:31 AM »
You read the definition?

Arson is a crime of intentionally, deliberately and maliciously

So if I wanna burn my shack just to get rid of it that doesn't sound like arson to me.

Legally burning your own stuff is not arson unless it is for insurance fraud or some other criminal intent.  You two should be lawyers if you can argue over this.

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:11 AM »
You would have to be a real sh**y person to have somebody burn your shanty down.  He would most likely have a lead if somebody had an out against him.  My guess is on bored (and trashy) teens. 

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:18 AM »
Legally burning your own stuff is not arson unless it is for insurance fraud or some other criminal intent.  You two should be lawyers if you can argue over this.

Not looking to get into a fight here, just a caution to watch where you take your legal advice from and never depend on Wikipedia's version of the word. Your state statute is the controlling definition. In my state, malicious intent is not required. It would likely be considered arson here if you burn up your own shack.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:52 AM »

Not that I'm aware of, but they do burn the flag itself, and some places ban it completely. The mere sight of the flag triggers some people apparently.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:56 AM »
Not that I'm aware of, but they do burn the flag itself, and some places ban it completely. The mere sight of the flag triggers some people apparently.

This is happening on the ice? In the US? I cant imagine many of those type going ice fishing...
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2019, 11:01 AM »
Not looking to get into a fight here, just a caution to watch where you take your legal advice from and never depend on Wikipedia's version of the word. Your state statute is the controlling definition. In my state, malicious intent is not required. It would likely be considered arson here if you burn up your own shack.

What if you break it all up so it doesn't look like a shack and then burn it? Boredom and curiosity is the sole reason I'm arguing this lol. I just feel like it isn't arson if it is your own property and you are allowed to have a fire.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2019, 01:02 PM »
I'm with you, NateD, at what point does it cease to be an ice shack and become a pile of wood for a camp fire? You're allowed to have a fire on the ice here in WI, but leaving ash and unburnt wood on the ice is considered littering. So you gotta contain the fire or shovel the leftovers.

But to the original point, would taking pallets on the ice to burn and screwing them together to resemble an ice shack then land you a felony arson conviction? I think not. But I could be wrong.

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2019, 01:36 PM »
In Michigan breaking it into pieces and then burning it would be illegal. The burning of construction materials
in Michigan is illegal. For the rest of the country I have no clue on burning such materials.
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2019, 01:44 PM »
I will answer all questions about MN law for $200 an hour (thanks for the suggestion Bullpine). My only point was that your mileage may vary depending on your state.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.