Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819458 times)

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1860 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:20 AM »
Have been reading the board for years but never officially "signed on". A lot of good designs on this  thread.  Hate to admit it but time has passed and cannot do what I use to do. But work/play smarter not harder !  Formulating  and assembling all my materials for my Smitty sled.  Understand all the dimensions, but  a  variance is the length  of the risers. Seen  full ski length to  simple pvc/ conduit post to the popular two riser designs.  Looks like most  designs average  12 " but would like input on shorter/longer length. 
Also would be remiss to Smitty  if I didn't  say  "thanks" for a design that has  simple  , cheap ,  and effective.
Look at page one, the first post, first pic.  Original Smitty, can't go wrong.  I've built a few and like the four piece riser.  It's simple, strong and eliminates a lot of weight.  I try to use scrap lumber so short pieces are easy to come by and cost nothing.  Make each riser long enough to be stout with room to taper the leading edge yet leave enough meat on either side of the notch for the cross piece.  Just start building it, it'll take shape on it's own.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1861 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:56 AM »
During last weeks brutal cold snap, I revamped my Smitty. It weighs under 11 pounds and folds up for storage. Now the snow is gone, and so is the ice. Pulls great in the driveway.

love what you did with the aluminum! far cry, though, from the $15 cost of building the original unless you have access to scrap pieces. If you had to purchase the stock from like a HD, I'm guessing about $80, not including hardware. I would definitely do that if I had access to scrap pieces

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1862 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:48 AM »
You are right, but most of the stuff was in the garage. But, even if you had to buy it, the cost is small compared to what I (or us) has invested in fishing equipment.
p.s. I get a lot of metal scrap at yard sales. Some along the road that people throw away. People pitch old bed frames. I see 1 1/2 angle iron.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #1863 on: Feb 18, 2019, 03:13 PM »
how much does the "original smitty sled kit" you can buy on ebay weigh after it's assembled(without  the skis of course)? It'll fit a frabill commando, correct?
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #1864 on: Feb 20, 2019, 03:33 PM »
This being my first season with a Smitty Sled just brought something to mind... I won't leave the house without it anymore than I would my locator...I'd go back and get it if I forgot it. I've gotten so many compliments on that damn thing it's unreal. And it's made this 'ol man's fishing trips SOOOO much easier...unbelievable. A simple design with big rewards. Thanks again Smitty. 😉
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1865 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:19 PM »
😉
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline PazzoCorso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1866 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:26 PM »
This being my first season with a Smitty Sled just brought something to mind... I won't leave the house without it anymore than I would my locator...I'd go back and get it if I forgot it. I've gotten so many compliments on that damn thing it's unreal. And it's made this 'ol man's fishing trips SOOOO much easier...unbelievable. A simple design with big rewards. Thanks again Smitty. 😉

X2

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1867 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:01 AM »
Well this is my first attempt at a Smitty. Had everything laying around minus the skis. Goodwill had them overpriced too but oh well. I needed them right then.

I didn’t really read into the ways to build it where you can disassemble it too. I probably should have now that I think about it. She’s sturdy to say the least.

Going to try it this afternoon with my new snowshoes too. Wish I could afford a snowmobile but- way she goes I guess. Hope this works!

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #1868 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:52 AM »
looks good, you're the only one that has to like it. With the front of the ski's open like that it's real easy to load onto the tail gate of a pickup, then push it in. good job.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1869 on: Feb 21, 2019, 01:06 PM »
looks good, you're the only one that has to like it. With the front of the ski's open like that it's real easy to load onto the tail gate of a pickup, then push it in. good job.

Yeah it fits in the pickup just fine. Figure I’ll slide the otter in next to it with all the crap inside. Close the tonneau and viola. I think I probably wouldn’t take it apart anyway. If I’ve got enough room that would just be extra hassle.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1870 on: Feb 21, 2019, 01:10 PM »
i hardly ever use mine because, by the time we get to the lake, I am so eager to get fishing that I won't take the few mins to assemble! ;D. If you can transport it already assembled you are ahead of the game!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1871 on: Feb 23, 2019, 05:05 PM »
Well... I learned a lot fishing the last two days with the new Smitty.

First, I shouldn’t have placed it quite so far back on the skis. It is trenching through the crust making it harder to pull than just the standard sled.

Second, I thought height was going to be an issue but even while trenching it doesnt sink nearly as much as I anticipated.

So do you guys use these religiously every time? I’m startihg to think there’s only a certain time and place where it really would help?

Worst case I guess I may have to pack lighter. Not sure what I can ditch though.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1872 on: Feb 23, 2019, 06:16 PM »
It looks good , but I see your point . Make an extension of your rack a little farther forward to spread the weight out and make sure you wax the skis . Tight lines to you Walleyebird .

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #1873 on: Feb 23, 2019, 06:53 PM »
Every time. Slush frozen to your sled is miserable.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1874 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:44 PM »
Every time. Slush frozen to your sled is miserable.

I have definitely experienced that. It is completely miserable!

And yeah my next idea is to just simply redrill the skis and move the whole thing forward. Couple extra 1/8” holes can’t hurt too bad

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1875 on: Feb 23, 2019, 11:58 PM »
I have definitely experienced that. It is completely miserable!

And yeah my next idea is to just simply redrill the skis and move the whole thing forward. Couple extra 1/8” holes can’t hurt too bad

One mount in the center where the bindings mount...

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=307619.msg3225152#msg3225152

<°)))>{

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #1876 on: Feb 24, 2019, 05:31 AM »
i hardly ever use mine because, by the time we get to the lake, I am so eager to get fishing that I won't take the few mins to assemble! ;D. If you can transport it already assembled you are ahead of the game!
With a little trial and error I'm able to assemble and disassemble in about 60 seconds. Remove the bungee cords holding the sled on. ( 1 hook on each is "pinched" to the eye bolt on risers so it doesn't come off ). Remove stringers. Place skis together bottom to bottom, eye bolts facing up and hold skis together with small spring clamps at top and bottom. Place stringers on top of risers, bolts facing up. Wrap bungee cords around skis as shown in pic. Just get the right length bungee to hook to either riser eye bolts or stringer bolts. I also put eye bolts through tips of skis and attached quick connects on each end of tow rope. Done this enough times I can almost do it blindfolded. Hope this helps.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1877 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:30 AM »
I use mine every time; bare ice or snow. I'm in my 70's and pull a lot of "crap" with ease. Best thing I have to make life easier on the ice.

Be sure the center of the weight of the sled is over the spot where the old ski bindings were attached. This will not necessarily be centered front to back on the skis. There should be a mark on the skis where this “weight center” should be. The skis were designed to carry weight and "float" best with weight centered over the bindings. I carry a good bit more weight than in your picture. Also be sure your rope is a least 16 ft.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1878 on: Mar 02, 2019, 12:00 AM »
My turn.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1879 on: Mar 02, 2019, 06:26 AM »
I like it, you could carry a windbreak to wrap three sides just in case.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1880 on: Mar 02, 2019, 08:19 AM »
Nice simple and clean design . Run & Gun . :thumbsup:

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1881 on: Mar 02, 2019, 11:55 AM »
ticklestick, love the height you added, i love mine as well but next time will get it up more like yours. i like yours better.
I am haunted by waters...

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1882 on: Mar 02, 2019, 03:05 PM »

<°))) >{

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1883 on: Mar 02, 2019, 04:51 PM »

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1884 on: Mar 02, 2019, 09:13 PM »

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1885 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:21 AM »
I stayed with the basic Smitty sled design, because it is simple. The only change I made was the 2x4 cross members which I made longer, this allowed me to put my auger and shelter on the sled. I can pull the sled with 2 fingers through the snow. The key is to make your rope long enough. My buddy and I made them about 3 years ago and we take them on every trip whether there is snow or clean ice. The other great feature is that the whole thing comes apart so they fit in our SUV. Thanks Smitty!

JG

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1886 on: Mar 26, 2019, 06:47 AM »
End of season meant time to finish up the latest build. This is the third try this year but I'll need to wait to try it out. This disassembles into 4 pieces to fit in the trunk of my sedan.

Quick tip for those working with PVC, I use self-tapping screws at the fixed joints because I've torn this apart and tried something new so many times that glue was a hindrance. 3-4 screws at each joint make for a solid but reversible connection.

Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1887 on: Mar 26, 2019, 06:55 AM »
I stayed with the basic Smitty sled design, because it is simple. The only change I made was the 2x4 cross members which I made longer, this allowed me to put my auger and shelter on the sled. I can pull the sled with 2 fingers through the snow. The key is to make your rope long enough. My buddy and I made them about 3 years ago and we take them on every trip whether there is snow or clean ice. The other great feature is that the whole thing comes apart so they fit in our SUV. Thanks Smitty!

JG
I use a very long rope for towing my smitty, I have a bank to slide down going onto a river I fish and it's easier to let the sled down first with the rope under the sled, ski's pointing to the river, then pull it up on the way off the ice. Just my .02

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1888 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:18 AM »
I ended up on page 1 when I clicked on this topic and realized it's from January of 2009. Smitty you're pretty darn close to famous!

I know I was leaving one of the popular access spots on Lake George a couple of years ago and looking around there were many, many Smitty Sleds being used.

It's a shame shipping is so expensive because your eBay kits are a great deal with everything pre cut etc.

Well done! @)

Here's my new homemade sled for my suitcase shanty. I got tired of it being a snow plow instead of it riding on top of the snow. Now it is like pulling 5lbs behind me when I have probably 85lbs of gear on it. It puts together in 30 seconds and takes apart in 15 seconds. It glides so easy over the snow! Now I'm not afraid of walking a long distance to a hot spot if I have to. It can be built for $15-$20 depending how cheap you get your skis for and what other stuff you have on hand. My skis only cost me $5 at our local thrift store. This also comes apart really easy so you can fit in your car like I have to, NO TOOLS REQUIRED! I thought I should share this for anyone on a budget or for one to get into your car Like I have to. Smitty
(Image removed from quote.)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1889 on: Aug 17, 2019, 09:09 AM »
Any Smitty Sled builds going on?? Pretty quiet.....let's blow his thread up with photos of your "Smittys".....tight lines boys!!
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.