New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Buffalo Union Ship Canal  (Read 22797 times)

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Buffalo Union Ship Canal
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2014, 10:40 AM »
debating on going to the canal or sbh this afternoon/evening. thakns for the info iceman, has anyone ever tried fishing the canal at night for crappies?

Offline bigg g

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2014, 10:44 AM »
Good Luck with this wind Gusts to  50 mph

Offline wny angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nut!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2014, 02:25 PM »
fished the canal near the first bridge from 11am  - 230 in 22 ft of water .pulled up 5 nice perch 10 - 11.5" range on minnows and lost a few more big ones in the first half hour then not another bite for the next 3 hours - wind was brutal so we didn't move around much.

ice was at least 6 - 7 inches - slick in spots with a few light snow covered patches . others we talked to had 1 or 2 perch each ,heard it wasn't any better Saturday

Offline St_croix_icefishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2014, 06:23 PM »
Was out a little bit today the ice was cracking. And the fishing was slow

Offline pikemaster0607

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • when in doubt go ice fishing
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:15 PM »
Anyone going out tomorrow might be venturing out alone. Plan on being there around 730
ice fishing for life

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 21, 2014, 12:50 AM »
Went sunday got 2 dinks and 4 chubs haha super windy lots of pressure cracking but ice is still safe dtick to the middle and youll be ok good luck but id stick with the sbh
And so it begins........

Offline Doorman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:56 AM »
Might try canal today.  Some good size keepers on Sunday.  They didn't even blow away when on the ice.  Might even be able to keep the hut anchored today.

Offline wydrew9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:20 AM »
Is this by south gap?

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:40 AM »
Is this by south gap?
Yes it is straight in from the south gap. If you are going out on route 5 and go over the Father Baker Bridge that's the Union Ship Canal.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline wydrew9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 21, 2014, 01:13 PM »
Yes it is straight in from the south gap. If you are going out on route 5 and go over the Father Baker Bridge that's the Union Ship Canal.

Thanks for confirmation!

Offline pikemaster0607

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • when in doubt go ice fishing
« Reply #40 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Went out today bite was slow kept 11 lost a steelie at the hole. Ice was fine
ice fishing for life

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:14 PM »
BUFFALO UNION SHIP CANAL CONDITIONS:
DEPTH: 12-24 FT
STRUCTURE: WILLOW TREES PLACED BY WATERFRONT DEVELOPMENT PROJECT COORDINATORS
BOTTOM: MUD / SAND / COMPOSITE SAND
ICE THICKNESS: 5-10 INCHES
COLOR OF CHOICE: PINK & WHITE
BAIT OF CHOICE: LAKE ERIE EMERALD SHINERS OR WAX WORMS
FISH HITTING: BETWEEN 1-8 INCHES OFF BOTTOM
END
And so it begins........

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:52 PM »
Fished today 6-8" of ice, caught a lot of smelt, few 6" perch one 10.5" perch, sden one bass on camera, handful of perch n smelt a few gills, best action was between 12-130, ill agree with buffaloiceman, bottom was mud/Sandy no structure where I was, was fishing 20-22 fow, not many fish wanted to pull off the bottom, there hanging low from what I seen on the camera.

Offline viking king

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The ice man cometh.....
« Reply #43 on: Jan 26, 2014, 05:41 PM »
My nephew and I gave it a try today. Started halfway between walking bridge and where we parked. No action and nothing on the camera. Met some nice people, a couple were heading past the walking bridge and said they do well. Not a lot of fish but keepers. Another group set up between us and where we parked. said closer to the cars are better for rock bass and blue gills. We split the difference between them and the wall and the camera showed fish. We caught a lot of small perch and seen 1 steelie. when we packed up, the last tip up held a really big perch. gave to 2 guys as we were leaving. Still a great day on the ice.

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 26, 2014, 05:56 PM »
Fished today 2-530 was about halfway between the parking lot and the bridge, caught one tiny perch, didn't see anything on camera or flasher, moved closer toward the lake caught half dozen 10"+ perch and a handful of 6" perch, seen a ton of them on the camera. 10-12" of pretty black ice a lot of cracks  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Was wondering how the ice was toward the mouth of the canal? Last week Monday a guy was down at that end and said he was on 4"s of ice, was curious to ice thickness and how the bite was down at that end?
there's a reason why it was only 4" and every where else is 10-15" thick.... current. watch how far you go out and spud, spud, spud
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 27, 2014, 01:23 PM »
walked all the they to rt 5 last Thursday  and fished just before the narrows the ice was seven in plus don't listen to what guys say check your self or youell never know bigfish

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:32 AM »
walked all the they to rt 5 last Thursday  and fished just before the narrows the ice was seven in plus don't listen to what guys say check your self or youell never know bigfish
you are right as I was at that spot Saturday with same measurements. about 7". but what I think what AON09 may be talking about is waaaaay past the rt. 5 bridge where channel and canal meet. I saw a hut way out there on sunday and I questioned why they were there in the first place. but I do agree with checking it yourself with the spud if you're not sure. the best report is your own
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2014, 01:16 PM »
Fished by the metal bridge,9-1 12-14" of ice, caught few dink perch and some smelt, seen three big schools of what I believe were steel head, seen a few big perch on camera no takers

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2014, 02:34 PM »
Fished by the metal bridge,9-1 12-14" of ice, caught few dink perch and some smelt, seen three big schools of what I believe were steel head, seen a few big perch on camera no takers
Dink city huh?

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:15 PM »
Today was, the last two times iv been to the same spot 10-11" perch dozen one day half doz the next time

Offline ROBBOB1964

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 01, 2014, 11:21 AM »
you are right as I was at that spot Saturday with same measurements. about 7". but what I think what AON09 may be talking about is waaaaay past the rt. 5 bridge where channel and canal meet. I saw a hut way out there on sunday and I questioned why they were there in the first place. but I do agree with checking it yourself with the spud if you're not sure. the best report is your own

i was in  the hut way  way outside the canal mouth . ice was 6 or  7" everywhere i checked out that way but like they say always check for yourself  . surprised that it was over 30 foot deep there  .marked a lot of fish but nothing on the jigs and had no minnows to try.
guys i talked to had 18 decent perch in the canal
Stanley Robbobski the polish perch slayer

Offline clammule

• Team IceShanty Regular
Union Ship Canal
« Reply #52 on: Feb 07, 2014, 12:18 PM »
I have driven by the USC on the way home from work each day this week and have noticed huts past the bridge. I have heard that they are getting some nice perch there. Does anyone have any info from this last week? Thinking about Saturday.

Offline clammule

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Union Ship Canal
« Reply #53 on: Feb 07, 2014, 03:48 PM »
Found the old thread- it's 7 or8 days old- not much help

Offline bufcopper

• IceShanty Rookie
union ship canal
« Reply #54 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:07 AM »
While driving along Rte 5, I notice people fishing on the Union Ship Canal  by the sand dunes in Buffalo and am wondering if anyone knows how they are doing and what they are catching. I am brand new to Ice Shanty and did a quick search of topics and did not find anything on this topic. Thanks.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
Re: union ship canal
« Reply #55 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:13 AM »
Don't know about any of that but I did want to welcome you to the Ice Shanty!  :thumbsup:

Offline harry

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: union ship canal
« Reply #56 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:19 AM »
Thats the Buffalo canal the union is a mile or so west, you'll find a thread in ny boards 3 posts and it opens up to you.
Also known as Bailey or Bailey63

Offline bufcopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:50 PM »
Thanks for the correction Harry.

Offline harry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 13, 2014, 02:42 PM »
No prob enjoy the site, both canals can be productive best fishing is yet to come
Also known as Bailey or Bailey63

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 13, 2014, 03:43 PM »
I fished there for a while years back ice fishing. Then they re did 5 andthere was not trespassing signs up at the sand piles. So I never gone back. I went this year asked permission they loader opp was very nice said hell we try to keep it plowed for the fisher men. I was glad I asked then walking down white ice all along shore about ten feet out went in up to my knee and turned around and went to boat harbor it's always but sketchy getting out somedays. I dans go back my my dad and girl friend won't guess I gotta go with friends. Lol nice fishing in there rock bass crappie sunnys some perch and I've got a fair share of steelies through there

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.