New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cranberry Lake Derby March 3  (Read 19840 times)

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cranberry Lake Derby March 3
« Reply #60 on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:25 PM »
trout are great fish, but the pike are here and will always be here, only if the big ones dont get fished out to rapidly. People like you preaching trout trout trout have no clue. we might as well enjoy what we have and charish it as we will never see a trout lake again, never. AND no matter what fish it is it's still helping our towns economy. There are also plenty of places to go catch native trout, hike up the lake 2 miles or so and fish all the trout ponds.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #61 on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:49 PM »
trout are great fish, but the pike are here and will always be here, only if the big ones dont get fished out to rapidly. People like you preaching trout trout trout have no clue. we might as well enjoy what we have and charish it as we will never see a trout lake again, never. AND no matter what fish it is it's still helping our towns economy. There are also plenty of places to go catch native trout, hike up the lake 2 miles or so and fish all the trout ponds.

Oswegatchie from inlet to high falls has some great trout. So do some of the ponds in the 5 pond wilderness area.  the only way they'll ever get rid of the pike in cranberry is to rotetone the whole lake and I don't exactly see that ever happening.  Just be happy there are fish in there and that the acid rain which has killed many lakes and ponds, has not killed this wonderful lake. 
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline icepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:20 PM »
I am a pike fisherman all winter long. I love trout fishing from April 1st all the way to the fall runs. I am shocked that people are upset that  pike are thriving in Cranberry and feel they should be erraticated (sp)?!?!
I dont think there a ton of fisheries which can support warm annd cold water species, it just isnt possible based upon water temps. LG is an obvious exception, Schroon another on a much smaller scale, but you dont hear folks saying kill the pike or vice versa!!! thats crazy. Be happy that a certain fish is thriving and above all respect that fact for furture fishermen and women... 

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Is A Sport, That Makes Me An Athlete
« Reply #63 on: Feb 15, 2012, 04:43 AM »
I am interested in fishing the Derby on the 3rd. Just wondering what the  2 tags are for that have to be picked up from the fire station.

Any information would be nice. Thanks

Offline SnojetDerek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 15, 2012, 05:43 AM »
the tags are when you weigh in a fish and for doorprizes i believe. I have fished this derby everyyear and its one of the best oganized derby's in this area!.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #65 on: Feb 15, 2012, 05:49 AM »
Yrs tags are so they can keep track of people they give u 2 with same number they used it last year to check in fish and for door prizes great derby will be up again this year
Just enjoying life

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:01 AM »
Thank You guys.

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #67 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:21 AM »
We'll be making the treck up there and, if it's anything like the Northern Challenge, should be a lot of fun!! Considering this will only be our third time on the ice this year, it'll be nice to be on the look-out for flags!!  @)  The largest gator I've ever seen in person was 19 lbs, so I'm hoping to see some over 20 with this tourney!! ;)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Feb 15, 2012, 09:01 AM »
From everything that I read and researched on for this lake, should not be a problem to see. Especially if the conditions are right for the big ones.

Offline Rain Barrel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 15, 2012, 11:53 AM »

I don't have a clue about what exactly?  That criminals have been going around illegally stocking pike and other fish in lakes where they are not native?  I do have a clue about that.  So if I'm a fan of northern snakehead fishing maybe I should drop a couple buckets of those in your lake cuz you know, I know best about what I want to fish for in any publicly accessed water. 

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Feb 16, 2012, 07:58 PM »
you're crazy man. Legal or illegal the pike are here and do not need to be taken out and killed. I don't understand how someone from out of town can talk like this, I live in Cranberry and know what its like to have such luxury in your backyard and we want to keep it here. If it was full of monster trout we would want to charish that, but they're long gone, pike is the dominant fish now and we locals and others want to keep it that way and enjoy what we have. People are predicting maybe a state record pike to come from this lake, if only people dont keep saying kill the pike. We dont want the pike gone end of story.

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:11 PM »
you're crazy man. Legal or illegal the pike are here and do not need to be taken out and killed. I don't understand how someone from out of town can talk like this, I live in Cranberry and know what its like to have such luxury in your backyard and we want to keep it here. If it was full of monster trout we would want to charish that, but they're long gone, pike is the dominant fish now and we locals and others want to keep it that way and enjoy what we have. People are predicting maybe a state record pike to come from this lake, if only people dont keep saying kill the pike. We dont want the pike gone end of story.

Well said

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #72 on: Feb 17, 2012, 12:04 AM »
We didn't have an RA when I was there....of course if we did we wouldn't have played so much hallway hockey with real pucks.  ;D
  Our RA the second semester us to drink with us down in the pool room.  Never played hallway hockey but Frisbee skate boarding and the occasional chainsaw rev off

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #73 on: Feb 17, 2012, 06:32 AM »
  Our RA the second semester us to drink with us down in the pool room.  Never played hallway hockey but Frisbee skate boarding and the occasional chainsaw rev off

How about midnight, 2-chain tape cleaning parties?  ;)

Cranberry Lake used to be a trout fishery decades ago.  But many factors led to the decline....acid rain, overfishing, introduction of new species from bait bucket biologists.   It'll never be a trout fishery again, but, it is a decent lake for pike, bass, rockbass, and yes, event perch.  I really hate seeing people kill fish just because they don't like the fact they are in a lake and they don't want them to be.  People should be thankful that they have such a great lake to fish.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #74 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:00 AM »

We up graded to vinal tapes no cleaning  nessesary :p  only thing we did with steal tapes was learn how to break tape with them.

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:02 AM »

We up graded to vinal tapes no cleaning  nessesary :p  only thing we did with steal tapes was learn how to break tape with them.

Us smitty boyz use to bring our equiment to you guys and always had good times!
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #76 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:11 AM »
Us smitty boyz use to bring our equiment to you guys and always had good times!

uh-oh, its one of those hotel college boys.  ::) ;D

Offline Rain Barrel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:27 AM »

If you go back and read my posts you see that I am not argueing that every pike caught should be killed in some misguided effort to bring back trout, that was someone else.  As long as people are following the rules, I don't care what they do with the fish they catch.  I also know that pike are there to stay and no amount of pressure will get rid of them.  You will also note that I enjoy pike fishing.  I'm just getting royally po'd at this rash of criminal fish stockings that ruin other people's long established fishing and ultimately waste money the DEC has spent over the years to establish trout populations and fishing opportunities.  So I guess if you are supportive of this kind of illegal activity using the (poor IMO) economic excuse, then what does that say about you? 

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:40 AM »
Cranberry will never see a state record. It's good but not that good.. Not to mention this lake is seeming to go down hill already. Everyone gets all hot and bothered about a 20 pounder. Try doubling that.. Then add another 7 pounds... Yeahhh I guess sooooo  ::)

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Feb 17, 2012, 03:41 PM »
I cannot see the state record coming from here either now due to all the pressure. I'm sure there is a 30 or close to it somewhere but there will never be something bigger caught IMO. I am not trying to argue that illegally introducing the pike was a good thing back 30 yrs or whatever but that was 30 yrs ago. People did acid back then too!!:) The pike are here and we are enjoying every second of it so thanks to whomever put them in here. If there were monster trout we would be enjoying them just as much but their not. I am just sick of people saying to clean out the pike population in my hometown lake when thats not what we want. I am also sick of people keeping every fish they catch, but thats their own perogative. Anyways...

What will be the biggest fish caught at the derby? Who's all coming? Ice is good right now, few pressure ridges that are sketchy. One goes from Union Pt to Joe Indian, then to Buck Island, Then to the biostation area. Be very careful near it.

Offline thetrigger22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Feb 17, 2012, 04:58 PM »
What will be the biggest fish caught at the derby? Who's all coming? Ice is good right now, few pressure ridges that are sketchy. One goes from Union Pt to Joe Indian, then to Buck Island, Then to the biostation area. Be very careful near it.

I'll be up there for the derby. Hopefully get to see or catch some big northerns. I live about an hour away but get up there quite a bit. I hope people will support and respect Cranberry as a great destination for fishing (Northern Pike specifically) so it's great for years to come. Thats just my opinion on the great debate.

I fished around Buck Island a few days ago. It was humorous to watch all the sleds come up to that massive ridge and try to find a place to cross. People def. need to be cautious. I doubt you'd live to tell the tale if you hit that thing zipping along on a machine.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Feb 18, 2012, 06:11 PM »
Deaf, have not heard of anyone hitting it yet but.... Hopefully no one does because it will not be a good sight most likely. How was the fishin at buck island. We tried elephant rock last week for a few hrs n had no luck

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
« Reply #82 on: Feb 19, 2012, 10:29 AM »
Can I get an ice report for the lake ....I heard around a foot ...just wanted one of the locals to verify. 

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #83 on: Feb 19, 2012, 11:10 AM »
Hope ice holds out till 3 can't wait just mailed out my registration
Just enjoying life

Offline thetrigger22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Feb 19, 2012, 12:01 PM »
Deaf, have not heard of anyone hitting it yet but.... Hopefully no one does because it will not be a good sight most likely. How was the fishin at buck island. We tried elephant rock last week for a few hrs n had no luck

It was really slow. Caught a few decent ones. The weather wasn't very cooperative. That's ice fishing though. I'll be up there Friday and Saturday dropping lines somewhere. Hope the ice is holding up well.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 19, 2012, 02:05 PM »
Can I get an ice report for the lake ....I heard around a foot ...just wanted one of the locals to verify.

Yeah that's bout right, still solid.

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 19, 2012, 05:11 PM »
Nice !

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Feb 19, 2012, 06:46 PM »
ya just got in at dark from another full day of fishing. ice is great, anywhere from 12-16 inches, just got some fresh snow last night so sleds are going good today, but heard maybe rain tuesday so back to glare ice  I'm sure.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Feb 20, 2012, 06:58 PM »
getting close to derby day... I am pumped. anyone been fishing the lake? any luck?

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 20, 2012, 08:16 PM »
Is there anywhere to park in Wanakena where I can launch from and go out on the lake....I have a snowmobile and would like to fish that southern part of the lake without having to make a 6-7 mile run from the state launch at the north end. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.