New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cranberry Lake Derby March 3  (Read 19838 times)

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
Cranberry Lake Derby March 3
« on: Feb 05, 2012, 05:23 PM »
Who's going? many large fish will be caught, 24.6lbs was caught last year along with some above 15lbs, many 10lbs also. I live in cranberry so let me know if any questions if I can help.
Thanks,
Kyle

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
Re: Cranberry Lake Derby March 3
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Going....will be first time on the lake.....sleds ?  maybe ?  parking ?  access to the lake.....any info would help!

thanks,

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2012, 06:10 PM »
Going....will be first time on the lake.....sleds ?  maybe ?  parking ?  access to the lake.....any info would help!

thanks,

youcan park in the craberry lake village to access the lake or you can park down by wanakena and ride down the river to the lake. definitely want a wheeler or snowmobile as the lake is very big with many bays and coves.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2012, 07:56 PM »
I know its a month away but are guys taking sleds and wheelers out right now

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2012, 08:00 PM »
My contacts at the general store in wanakena are telling me people are running snowmobiles and wheelers down the oswegatchie out on to the main lake.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2012, 08:25 PM »
Shhhhh  :nono: :nono: lol

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2012, 08:41 PM »
My contacts at the general store in wanakena are telling me people are running snowmobiles and wheelers down the oswegatchie out on to the main lake.

Pretty sure we were the first ones to put a truck up the oswagatchie this year. Couple weeks ago.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2012, 11:54 PM »
Was told didn't see it my self but 2 atv went in just off river from wanakena  in too main lake sat morning at least one if them had tracks on. I remember last year coming off ice the water was over a foot deep on bend in river at lake was not a good situation and that was where forest rangers were sitting giving tickets for no helmets so make shure u ware one over a 200 mistake for it not being on had it but was wet so my fault for not putting it on
Just enjoying life

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2012, 12:38 PM »
wher eis cranberry lake...hear alot about it

Offline george33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2012, 12:45 PM »
saint lawerence county
2012 Polaris Sportsman 500
Jiffy 10" Pro 4 Model 40
Heritage Laker Tip-Up's
Shappell DX4000 Cabin
Shappell Jet Sled XL

Offline Mtmanjustin

• IceShanty Rookie
Cranberry Lake Conditions/Tips 2012
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2012, 02:32 PM »
Planin a trip to cranberry in a week or so. Hows the ice conditions out there? Any places i should avoid?  Im not looking for anybodies spot but any tips would be appreciated.  I heard towards Wanakena and Dead Creek could be good.

Offline nasc620

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2012, 06:41 PM »
A few of us are going up thursday i think, we fished it last week and only put two small ones on the ice. Last weeke the ice was close to a foot, we parked by the ranger shcool and went out that way.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2012, 06:49 PM »
A few of us are going up thursday i think, we fished it last week and only put two small ones on the ice. Last weeke the ice was close to a foot, we parked by the ranger shcool and went out that way.

don't get towed.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:01 PM »
If the RA that was there when I attended he would have had you towed in a flash.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:03 PM »
If the RA that was there when I attended he would have had you towed in a flash.

We didn't have an RA when I was there....of course if we did we wouldn't have played so much hallway hockey with real pucks.  ;D

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:06 PM »
We didn't have an RA when I was there....of course if we did we wouldn't have played so much hallway hockey with real pucks.  ;D
We did anyway...he conducted his rounds on a consistent schedule so he was predictable. We were all quiet and being good RS students   ::) ::)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:10 PM »
We did anyway...he conducted his rounds on a consistent schedule so he was predictable. We were all quiet and being good RS students   ::) ::)

I got to get a scanner and scan the photos of the midnight chain cleaning parties, Hallway matress slides, and our hockey team.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:11 PM »
DO IT!!

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:57 PM »
http://www.cranberrylakefire.org/phocadownload/entry_2012.pdf

Here is the sign up sheet for our derby. The lake has around 12 inches of ice. People are useing wheelers, sleds to access the lake either from cranberry or wanakena. Be careful parking at the Ranger school as they forbid it. I have not heard of or found any bad spots on the lake. The river from wanakena is usually the spot to worry but that is solid. Fishing has been ok, but I have heard of way to many people keeping small pike. The lake will be ruined in no time the way its going. It's a trophy pike lake and people are keeping 6-8 fish a day ranging from 2-16 lbs. That will kill the lake. You deff want to have all legal documents and helmets and all that legal stuff to be on the safe side. I have never been checked yet but always have me legal stuff. The derby hopefully will have a large turnout, and hopefully we will have better weather than last yr.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:00 PM »
have not heard of anyone going through the lake either.

Offline WALLEYES INC.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's twice as nice when there stacked on the ice !
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2012, 06:24 AM »
A buddy of mine saw both guys go in with their wheelers with the track kit on them it happened Saturday down by wanakena end of lake. There was a big pressure crack opposite side of black duck hole (wanakena side) and they tried to jump it and both failed miserably it was like 5' of water and 1 guy had a kid on back so my buddy took the kid in his shanty to get warm. Very foolish!  They did get the wheelers out and everybody was ok but they should have known better since they were local from Star Lake and the first guy went in then the next guy still tried to jump after and went in also???

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:36 AM »
hmm, from star lake, was it the Hitchmans I wonder. I know i saw them out there one day with a track kit on their wheelers. I'll have to find out more about where!!

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:49 AM »
Where will the weigh in station be located. Some one mentioned having one on Joe Indain Island and the Dec Campsite.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:38 AM »
last yr I know there was one near the state campsite and one near Joe Indian Island right as you come out of the channel of dead creek flow at Arnolds Pt.

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:46 AM »
so the two birds knew there was open water and they still tried to jump over it...and no less with a small child on the back.......dumb !

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:56 AM »
Both years there has been a weigh in at the West end of Joe Indian Island between Shanty Rock Bay and Dead Creek Flow.  The other is at the state park beach.  The reports I have heard are that the fishing has been slow this winter.  I consider that good since it has to turn on sometime, maybe derby weekend?

The biggest issue I have seen in the two years this derby has run is the people coming to fish don't realize how big and remote this lake is.  Multiple people get stranded out there every year because of equipment break down and it is miles of walking to get to a road.  Three quarters of this lake is state land with no roads or buildings make sure your wheeler or sled is in good working order and make sure you are prepared for emergencies.

Just my two cents.
Good luck to all entering and maybe we will see you out there!
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2012, 06:39 PM »
yes very dumb. You most deff want a source of transportation, sled/wheeler whatever. It is a big lake and I drive from cranberry 6 miles to where i fish, but from wanakena its about 1 mile or so. Yes the weigh-in stations are at the state campground, and at Arnolds Point, right by Joe Indian.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2012, 06:44 PM »
There is big hole out there it makes no sense how or why, but yes it appears like someone went through.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:01 PM »
Thanks guys just wanted people to know about the issue be safe guys the person that told me was a good source can't wait till 3rd hope to be fun and will have helmet on this time on atv
Just enjoying life

Offline SnojetDerek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:47 AM »
I think this is one of the best derbys around! Big fish, good time. I'm starting to see that everyone is fishing there for open boundry derbys and cleaning up. This is not good for the lake!!  People are driving 2.5 to 3hrs to fish till 1pm then run the winning fish to clayton and alex bay. If this keeps up its going to be hard to keep the 20lb fish in the lake. Just a thawT. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.