New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Capital Region Thread  (Read 28044 times)

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Capital Region Thread
« on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:00 AM »
Hey guys, I know there are lots of guys besides myself in  the Capital Region, so I thought I would make a thread for everyone to use for reports and general BS. Have fun!

-Zach

Offline ICE4ME75

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Capital Region Thread
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:22 AM »
thanks for starting this CBH. little ponds around me broke up last night but they should lock back up by the end of the weekend. extended forcast looks iffy for the weekdays but next weekend should give the small ponds enough to get out on. good luck to all and stay safe.

Offline johnnycd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:28 AM »
Good idea!  I was just going to ask about Triangle Lake and surrounding water in Rennselaerville.  PM me if you do.
Chenbass, do you ever get out on the Res' in Cobleskill?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:29 AM »
Good idea!  I was just going to ask about Triangle Lake and surrounding water in Rennselaerville.  PM me if you do.
Chenbass, do you ever get out on the Res' in Cobleskill?

Not allowed to icefish the resevoirs in Cobleskill.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Like Roy said, can't ice fish them. I was a fisheries major in college, and can tell you that I wish I could! We used to gill net perch in there over a foot long (in the upper res, Smith Reservoir). We also did a brief walleye stocking effort, and I caught one about 9 inches long while fishing from shore, but that was the only one I ever saw.

Offline johnnycd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:43 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.  Just ice fishing?  I was under the impression there's a body of water stocked with Tiger Trout that was legal to fish.  Glad I know.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:49 AM »
You can open water fish it, but not through the ice. The college's Fish and Wildlife Club, along with Schoharie County Conservation Assocation, have tried to get a derby on the res, but the town hasn't approved it. If they do it will probably be on Dow Reservoir, the lower of the 3. Just perch, sunfish and bass primarily.  But who knows, they'll probably just do it on Vlaie like usual.

-Zach

Offline afwrestler1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:53 AM »
Since I will be moving to Scotia first of January, I have started to look for new stomping grounds and see that there are a LOT of either private, or not for ice fishing bodies of water out that way.  :-\ 

Lake George will get fished a lot by me, but I am looking for something closer for the after work days. Saratoga looked promising, I have heard many stories of the "dead sea" and would fish there if I had a machine. I spend more time on google maps looking for a place to fish than I do actually working.  ;D
[Img]http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png[img]

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:01 PM »
Since I will be moving to Scotia first of January, I have started to look for new stomping grounds and see that there are a LOT of either private, or not for ice fishing bodies of water out that way.  :-\ 

Lake George will get fished a lot by me, but I am looking for something closer for the after work days. Saratoga looked promising, I have heard many stories of the "dead sea" and would fish there if I had a machine. I spend more time on google maps looking for a place to fish than I do actually working.  ;D
Collins lake right in scotia is a good place to go.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline afwrestler1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:15 PM »

Looks like it could be good. ADK, so........ummmmmm..... .....where may I be able to find some of those there.........ummm.... rock bass?

Underrated fish IMO.   Thanks for the tip on Collins, I would have passed it up being right in the middle of civilization.
[Img]http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png[img]

Offline johnnycd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:25 PM »
Collins is a good bet, close.  You also have Mariaville Lake in Princetown.

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2011, 01:17 PM »
Wtaer temps at my house in Rensselaer County are still holding tight at 41.5 degrees...

Sure wish that number would at least start moving in the right direction!

Still got the dock in though, and the boat floats even with snow on it  @)
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline johnnycd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2011, 02:10 PM »
Wtaer temps at my house in Rensselaer County are still holding tight at 41.5 degrees...

Sure wish that number would at least start moving in the right direction!

Still got the dock in though, and the boat floats even with snow on it  @)
Well if you want to make sure it floats with snow on it plus another guy by all means I'll be happy to give it a shot.

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2011, 04:45 PM »
Well if you want to make sure it floats with snow on it plus another guy by all means I'll be happy to give it a shot.
Jimmy:

Like the new look icon and I'm sure with your lake open Wally still fears you!

Eagle Ed

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2011, 06:00 PM »
The Tropical storms devastated Collins. Most of the quality fish ended up trapped in the "bowl" over by the library. When the water receded they died... At least 12 Pike from mid 20's to a 38''er were lost. 

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:05 AM »

Check out Balston and Round lakes down that way. Never been to either, but I've read plenty about both of them on here. ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:54 AM »

Welcome to the area.  I live about a 1/4 of a mile up the road from round lake.  And have put a lot of hours on both RL and ballston lake.  Really some great fishing if you can find where they are hiding.   Saratoga lake is way over rated. It use to be a great lake but it just see's way to much pressure all year long. Don't get me wrong they pull some nice fish once in a while. But to many people for me.   Lake lonely is another good lake. Access is very limited.  Its a long walk unless you know someone on the lake like i do :)  Great early pike there.   Hudson river is good to but catch and realease only. But  some monster pike and bowfins are to be had.    If we ever get ice we will have to get out together.
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Also Get  a contour map for the local lakes it will help a lot.
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:44 PM »
Looking forward to getting out on some local lakes. Really want to put in work and learn some things about Ballston and Round Lakes this year. Really want to put my wife on a big pike or two. If anyone wants to get together sometime, let me know. Would be willing to trade trips on the waters I know, Canadarago and Otsego in particular. Also, if anyone would be interested in splitting gas and heading north for early ice, it's much safer to fish with someone else, especially early in the year! Tight lines and hard waters!  :tipup:

-Zach

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2011, 06:39 AM »
Don't forget the Helderberg Lakes... they'll freeze first.

Thompson's, Warners, Onderdonk etc.....    all provide action.

On another note .........   anybody play or interested in playing baseball in the Capital Region?   ...... we have a great league with 18+, 25+, 35+, 45+ and 55+ age divisions ...........  and my 45+ team is looking for a superstar or two ... and other teams need players too.

I'm talkin baseball... not softball  ;)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:27 AM »
I USED TO PLAY ALL THE TIME, TO DAMN OLD NOW 71 GOING ON 100

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:42 AM »
I USED TO PLAY ALL THE TIME, TO DAMN OLD NOW 71 GOING ON 100

We're gonna have an over 65 division soon  ;)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline icedauber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Helderberg Lakes not ready , no skim on warners or thompsons as of noon today. :( :(
Flag Up!!!

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2011, 05:37 PM »
Don't forget the Helderberg Lakes... they'll freeze first.

Thompson's, Warners, Onderdonk etc.....    all provide action.

On another note .........   anybody play or interested in playing baseball in the Capital Region?   ...... we have a great league with 18+, 25+, 35+, 45+ and 55+ age divisions ...........  and my 45+ team is looking for a superstar or two ... and other teams need players too.

I'm talkin baseball... not softball  ;)
I ran into Graves the other night and he showed me your wall hanger, nice fish. We were talking bout hitting LG later in the season he said he hasn't been on the hardwater in years. I'll be heading up to Thompson's soon as we get some ice to use my new electronics, I'll pm you when I'm heading out maybe we could hook up.

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2011, 05:47 PM »
Anyone interested in hooking up for some harwater action pm me. If I'm not working I'm usually headed somewhere local.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2011, 05:52 PM »
this is getting crazy. the weather dosnt look any better either. i was hoping for the day after christmas but that doesnt look good. I dont think im gonna get on my little local puddle much either by the time it freezes all the northern big lake bays shoudl be good to go so ill be investing my time there.

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2011, 06:41 PM »
It's looking more and more like New Years before anything in the capital region. 
Hell I'm just hoping that I can get on somewhere over Christmas to New Years break, if not well maybe get some hiking/snowshoe'n in in the southern ADKS.  @)

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:25 PM »

No more fish in there!!!
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:00 PM »

No more fish in there!!!

What ? Your not shore trollin the river for the eyes ?  @)

Offline jig_a_fish94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2011, 10:36 AM »
seen a good size pond locked up yesterday  ;D, but after today im sure it will be gone :'(
FISH ON!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.