New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: MUD BAY WALLEYES?  (Read 23747 times)

Offline fisHunter247

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: MUD BAY WALLEYES?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2009, 08:26 PM »
its the indian river.  it feeds a lot those little lake up there.  great fishing for almost any species within a stones throw from theresa. 

Offline jigger-team hamlin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16, 2009, 03:36 PM »
Is the usually safe on mud bay late feb.  early march ???

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2009, 03:59 PM »
Is the usually safe on mud bay late feb.  early march ???

Never - IMO

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #33 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:24 AM »
fished Mud bay monday AM. no eye's yet, ive conditions were good, no pack ice like last year, gotta have creepers!!!

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:21 PM »
Thanks for the Info, my buddies going thursday, I can't get up there yet.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline The Farmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 17, 2009, 09:53 PM »
went out a few nights ago. there was about 7'' of ice where i was. got 1 fish and a few bites that i should have gotten. youd think the ice was breaking up out there by the sound of it! i saw 5 or 6 guys jogging off the ice at one point :D got to love it haha

Offline sublime024

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 27, 2009, 11:52 AM »
bump... come on.. anymore reports?
Coming up this weekend from NY freakin City cause i got the itch.  Let me know how the eyes are doing.  PM me if needed. :)

Offline weasel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 28, 2009, 09:24 AM »
Nothing coming lately.  It turned very very cold right at dark but was comfortable even though rainy during the day.

Lots of ice, no fish. 

Offline orangebucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 02, 2009, 02:36 AM »
Mudbay walleye shush cum on lets let everyone know
Rip their lips off !!!

Offline PERCH-I

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:13 AM »
fished sat. night from 5-8 one little bite.  heard of 1 5lb caught

Offline flags a flyin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 03, 2009, 05:46 PM »
My buddy got a 6#er Sat.  I fished it Sun. with no success.  He is back out tonight, and haven't heard from him yet.  Guys are picking one here one there, but by no means would I say it's hot.  It is a good fishery, but it also gets a lot of hype.  I would say you have about the same or better chance of catching a walleye on onieda, than you do at mud bay.  The one thing going for mud, is the slight chance to catch a monster.
We do not inherit the earth from our fathers.....  We borrow it from the unborn

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #41 on: Mar 04, 2009, 12:17 AM »
My buddy got a 6#er Sat.  I fished it Sun. with no success.  He is back out tonight, and haven't heard from him yet.  Guys are picking one here one there, but by no means would I say it's hot.  It is a good fishery, but it also gets a lot of hype.  I would say you have about the same or better chance of catching a walleye on onieda, than you do at mud bay.  The one thing going for mud, is the slight chance to catch a monster.
THANKS FOR THE UPDATE! hey does that place have safe ice usually after walleye has closed. Would'nt mind accidentlly catching a monster while perch fishing later and let it go!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline flags a flyin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 04, 2009, 07:18 AM »
not usually.  We will be lucky to hold onto the ice untill the closer.  Last year it did, but the ice that is there could be distroyed quickly.
We do not inherit the earth from our fathers.....  We borrow it from the unborn

Offline chardware

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:11 AM »
Anybody getting any of those big lake ontario eyes through the ice yet up on MUD BAY?

yup
Chaumont Hardware - Bait and Tackle

Offline PERCHIN101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No Fish is Safe
« Reply #44 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:58 AM »
Fishin has been slow in the last couple weeks, have had a few hits and landed one 20"er.  But the bay has somw beauties.   This is my personal best through the ice, figured between 11 and 12 lbs.  caught it last year on a beautiful brisk mornin.  A quick picture and right back down the hole she went to release all those eggs in the spring!  Unlike me and perch fishing the walleyes are a delicate fishery that could go downhill very fast.  Its just starting to get really good again from the netters being gone.    Good luck everyone!

I can smell a perch a mile away...

Offline Walleye_Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 23, 2011, 12:30 PM »
Fishin has been slow in the last couple weeks, have had a few hits and landed one 20"er.  But the bay has somw beauties.   This is my personal best through the ice, figured between 11 and 12 lbs.  caught it last year on a beautiful brisk mornin.  A quick picture and right back down the hole she went to release all those eggs in the spring!  Unlike me and perch fishing the walleyes are a delicate fishery that could go downhill very fast.  Its just starting to get really good again from the netters being gone.    Good luck everyone!

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice fish, last year was a good year, and right back down the hole is the way to go. It is a must we all have to do in order to keep our fishery.  Good luck to everyone and be safe, let's all hope for a good month of March.
Eat. Sleep. Fish. Repeat.

Offline Mr. Jitterbugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 23, 2011, 12:32 PM »
nice eye man :tipup:

Offline tiswinery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:36 PM »
seems to be a popular spot. lots of people on the ice on the mud bay

Offline walleyehunter01

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/Ice
« Reply #48 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:59 PM »
how much ice

adam2000

« Reply #49 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:14 PM »
real nice eye, id love to get one that big through the ice, used to get monsters at oswego, got a 13 lber there in the spring, but its worst then salmon season down there, so many boats in that river u cant fish from shore, my buddy but he j-13 in some guys boat that didnt have lights on it and you cant turn your boat around, lol, so we gave that up

Offline MrPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:32 PM »
How is the ice at Mud Bay after last week's high winds and warm weather?

Offline steelheader

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:24 PM »
Man that ice on mud gets spooky , was up there a few years ago one day fishing 8'' of ice mid season , cold but windy , came back the next day and nothing but open water , was there another time fished till about 9 at night , around 5 degrees out and while we were there the ice was rolling and water coming through the cracks . Definitely a spot to be smart on , watch for heavy winds , different type of ice . I know the regulars know this but figured I would just let everyone else know .
Oh ya , will never fish mud again , got snowed in there two years ago when a noreater blew in on us , took seven hours to get off that road , shoveling by hand foot by foot  , too much bad mojo when I fish there , but good luck to all of you that head up there , and hopefully you can put some of those ten pounders on the ice .

Offline PERCHIN101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No Fish is Safe
« Reply #52 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:48 PM »
ice is ify...  6-8 inches in spots and 3-4 in others.  depends where you are, def need to take caution out there this year.  Fishin hasnt picked up yet tho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:35 AM »
ice is ify...  6-8 inches in spots and 3-4 in others.  depends where you are, def need to take caution out there this year.  Fishin hasnt picked up yet tho

and so that is why we say "mud bay in march."   Caution we need to take out there every year, it doesnt matter how much ice there is.  Last year we fished on a great day, over a foot of ice.  Come towards the afternoon we went to move out deeper and crossed a spot where there had been a pressure crack. once we crossed it we notice it was moving the one plate of ice had slid over top of the other and you could actually see it sliding across the other piece, no joke we watched it move atleast two feet over the other. we stop and looked around and the whole bay was just rolling, we def got off. When mud bay gets like that you deff want to head to shore, many incidents where when this happened the whole bay just broke apart.  That same night where we we accessing shore we put three wheelers through the ice and quite a few guys, everyone made it out say ok but nothing anyone would want to remember.  Even a foot of ice can be nothing we it comes to mud bay. Good luck again, and stay safe. 

Offline PERCHIN101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No Fish is Safe
« Reply #54 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:41 AM »
Haha!  I was there the same night, it was warm out and it made the ice soft!  there was actually waves in the ice from the wind.  My dad was about 20 yards from me and we could watch each other move up and down.  pretty freaky and def. a first for me on the ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:38 AM »
Haha!  I was there the same night, it was warm out and it made the ice soft!  there was actually waves in the ice from the wind.  My dad was about 20 yards from me and we could watch each other move up and down.  pretty freaky and def. a first for me on the ice

Yes it is pretty freaky.  Happens occasionaly out there when there is a southwestish wind blowing in that bay, that's what causes it.  I've heard stories from many guys about it happening.  One told me he watched it come up like that one day from shore and saw the ice just completely shatter like glass.  Now that is something I would deff not want to happen when im out there.  They say the key is to keep track of how the water is moving up and down in the hole while youre fishing,  that usaully indicates when whether or not you should get off.

adam2000

« Reply #56 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:45 AM »
ill stick to oneida, that isnt something im used too

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:51 AM »
ill stick to oneida, that isnt something im used too

It's only something you need to worry about with the southwestish wind, any other time it is usually fine.

Offline tiswinery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 24, 2011, 05:48 PM »
last year when i had decide enough was enough on mud bay i had gone back there to see if anyone was nutty enough to be out there, as i was watching the ice go up and down from shore a snowmobile came off the ice in front of me the sled was making a wave in the ice in front of the machine, i dunno if the guy knew about what was going on but there is no size walleye on that bay that is worth getting wet over.

Offline artoldman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:20 AM »
chaumont hardware has info on that area. he gives reports on line, in person or you can call

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.