New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: MUD BAY WALLEYES?  (Read 23748 times)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
MUD BAY WALLEYES?
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 09:22 PM »
Anybody getting any of those big lake ontario eyes through the ice yet up on MUD BAY?
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline cashflow

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: MUD BAY WALLEYES?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009, 10:17 PM »
if they are i doubt there gonna tell.
Fish

Offline Fridge

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Check out my BIG FATTY!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2009, 12:15 PM »
Where is Mud Bay? ???
My name is Fridge.........and I'm a hard water addict! 

Offline flags a flyin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2009, 06:22 PM »
don't know.  was thinking the same thing though.  They really push in there a little later in the season.  I'm going to give it a month 8)
We do not inherit the earth from our fathers.....  We borrow it from the unborn

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:14 PM »
Where is Mud Bay? ???
Just north of chaumont bay ,Gets good there late season just was wondering if it started yet!

Offline NORTHWOODS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • guide
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2009, 05:22 PM »
is there really such a place ???? i think you guys are kidding there's no eye's in lake ontario!!!
that will make a nice sangwich!!!!!

Offline bill308

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2009, 06:20 PM »
is there really such a place ???? i think you guys are kidding there's no eye's in lake ontario!!!
was there sat,sun,mon got 12 all together biggest one was 9lbs on pink glow jig with buckeye smallest one was 3lbs nice fish also get about 40 perch lots of small ones biggest about 15 inchs
gatorman

Offline WALLILUVR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2009, 12:49 AM »
where do you park and what areas could i try for walleye. I have yet to catch my first one. I would like to try on friday. Should I bring my 4 wheeler ? I would really appreciate aany pointers .
thanks

Offline Fridge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2009, 07:07 PM »
Any body willing to share some info on this area???  I would love to give it a try. PM me if you are willing to give some pointers.

Offline miss m

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:02 AM »
7am saturday, buddy of mine caught an 8.5 pound beauty.  "lake ontario gold"  its walleye time.

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2009, 10:01 AM »
Anyone ever heard the saying Mud Bay in May?? Good mixed bag there, we had 3 buckets going, 1 for perch, 1 for big sunnies, 1 for bullheads, we gave a way the bullheads but kept the panfish. Good crappie fishing there in june around the boat slips too, great stuff to bring kids up for shorecasting.

cny

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2009, 05:55 PM »
did you get a picture, and then release that beautiful fish.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:13 PM »
7am saturday, buddy of mine caught an 8.5 pound beauty.  "lake ontario gold"  its walleye time.
Is there any parking nearby for wilson's bay, What depth were you in? great to here your getting into a few.THANKS GUYS!

Offline NORTHWOODS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • guide
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:25 PM »
hey snagger you better not find out about this spot you will burn a lot of gas!!!!

Offline NORTHWOODS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • guide
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:30 PM »
Is there any parking nearby for wilson's bay, What depth were you in? great to here your getting into a few.THANKS GUYS!
hey are you here yet

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:45 PM »
hey snagger you better not find out about this spot you will burn a lot of gas!!!!
SOUNDS LIKE I'M GETTING CLOSER! must be a good spot if I pulled you on here. That fuller bay don't look too shabby either.

Offline NORTHWOODS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • guide
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:46 PM »
SOUNDS LIKE I'M GETTING CLOSER! must be a good spot if I pulled you on here. That fuller bay don't look too shabby either.

hey you are here

Offline NORTHWOODS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • guide
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:48 PM »
what are you doing i did'nt know bill was up there or knew about the mud

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2009, 11:54 PM »
Well I guess I'm going up there on the blind next week. look out jefferson county here we come.We'll be blowing into town like a big ole Oswego county Snow Squall. Can't wait to get a monster eye thru the ice.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2009, 08:45 AM »
Should be a public launch somewhere off Rt.6?  There is Martin's Marina & Motel that, I think, permit or sell access.  Here's a depth-contour map of the bay:  Mud Bay
Maybe someone would be good enough to say "where on this bay" are some likely spots to start.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2009, 11:06 AM »
Should be a public launch somewhere off Rt.6?  There is Martin's Marina & Motel that, I think, permit or sell access.  Here's a depth-contour map of the bay:  Mud Bay
Maybe someone would be good enough to say "where on this bay" are some likely spots to start.
Hey thanks for the info on rt. 6 marina/motel I'm going to look for them somewhere between 18-43 feet I've got that and another map. THANKS MAN!

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2009, 12:17 PM »
I can't give you specifics as I have not been yet this season, but as of last year all I can say is go deep. we were jigging for them in 50FOW +/-. the migrate shalower and deeper as they feed on alewives and such. get there at first light as the bite is best then. I don't know about the parking as I have not yet tried this year but the DEC just purchased some land on the north side of the bay that is marked and you can cross to get to the ice. park on the side of the road as there is no parking lot yet.
another note... you don't see folks talking about mud bay on here because its a fragile fishery. the fishing is not allways hot, you'll go a few times with nothing, but when you do catch one of those 9 lb lunker females, give some thought to how old she is, how much food it took for her to get that big, and her reproductive potential, then do the right thing and put her back down the hole. save those 20" males of some jack perch for the dinner table.
best of luck.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2009, 12:27 PM »
Thanks for the info, I will throw everything back, I don't eat lake ontario eyes (too fishy for me). Oswego used to be great in the late 80's and 90's til all the charters wipe the place out.

Offline fisHunter247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2009, 10:20 PM »
Wonder how the ice is doing there with all this wind.  Those waves rolling in off the lake can break that ice up pretty quick.  That is true, very fragile fishery.  Let 'em live there.  Good for a picture or two!!! 

Offline Fridge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2009, 07:22 AM »
I can't give you specifics as I have not been yet this season, but as of last year all I can say is go deep. we were jigging for them in 50FOW +/-. the migrate shalower and deeper as they feed on alewives and such. get there at first light as the bite is best then. I don't know about the parking as I have not yet tried this year but the DEC just purchased some land on the north side of the bay that is marked and you can cross to get to the ice. park on the side of the road as there is no parking lot yet.
another note... you don't see folks talking about mud bay on here because its a fragile fishery. the fishing is not allways hot, you'll go a few times with nothing, but when you do catch one of those 9 lb lunker females, give some thought to how old she is, how much food it took for her to get that big, and her reproductive potential, then do the right thing and put her back down the hole. save those 20" males of some jack perch for the dinner table.
best of luck.
Well said fishman79.  I'll be sure to bring my camera if I make it up there.  I have enough perch to last the year....don't need any more fish to eat.  The fishing is the same way in the fall for those big wallys.  You may not catch many of them.....but when you do they are PIGS!!!  Hey Snagger check the thread on Jefferson big water about the ice conditions in mud bay.  Sounds like it can get sketchy pretty quickly with weather like we've had. Good luck......stay safe.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2009, 10:30 AM »
I did fridge, That's why I started this thread wanted some constructive info. My friends go up once a year. If it will help get info on this area I will say again I plann on not harvesting any eyes( Unless I get lucky and get a 14lber for the wall) I don't see that happening. Most of the larger eyes I get in open water at oneida go back( I like 16-17 inchers for eating) Once again thanks for the info on your area up there. My grandmother lives in theresa on a farm but she don't fish.

Offline flags a flyin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2009, 11:15 AM »
 Just a quick correction.  The new DEC land is on the South Shore of the bay on Bates Rd.  UTM's = 393467, 4880560
We do not inherit the earth from our fathers.....  We borrow it from the unborn

Offline fisHunter247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2009, 11:47 AM »
I did fridge, That's why I started this thread wanted some constructive info. My friends go up once a year. If it will help get info on this area I will say again I plann on not harvesting any eyes( Unless I get lucky and get a 14lber for the wall) I don't see that happening. Most of the larger eyes I get in open water at oneida go back( I like 16-17 inchers for eating) Once again thanks for the info on your area up there. My grandmother lives in theresa on a farm but she don't fish.

snagger

Do you ever fish up near your grandmother in theresa?  Those indian river lakes can be a lot of fun, especially on the ice.

Offline The Farmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2009, 04:34 PM »
i know someone already said this but fishman you hit the nail on the head. rumor spreads quick enough by mouth, and when word gets out on here that theres a hot bite, people are out there like white on rice.....usually keeping them lunker females. but everyone on this thread seems to know how to do the right thing and keep it on the down low, and throw the spawners back so we can continue fishing there for as long as we can. Sorry if i rambled this whole thing on, but  good luck everyone and be safe out there.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2009, 07:24 PM »
snagger

Do you ever fish up near your grandmother in theresa?  Those indian river lakes can be a lot of fun, especially on the ice.
  I've read about them, but never tried them yet! My grandmothers farm is on that small river.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.