Author Topic: "Cleans Holes Faster"  (Read 9032 times)

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
"Cleans Holes Faster"
« on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:02 AM »
I picked this Northland Flipper Dipper up a week ago and it has earned it's keep after 3 only trips. It made cleaning the holes a breeze. Granted I still have my metal scoop for chipping away at my frozen tip ups, but this thing cleans out the holes completely in 2 passes, or about about 10 seconds. Appears to be well constructed and is way cheaper than those other bulky tools out there.
http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=652&pc=253

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: "Cleans Holes Faster"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:22 AM »
Got one for a buddy of mine. Works good.
FYI they are $5.00 cheaper at cabelas

smitty :tipup:

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:35 AM »
I bought mine at Cabelas, so $11 might have been a little high. I spent A LOT of money that day and may have confused the flipper price with another item ??? For $5 it is an even better product  ;D

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline Kip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:47 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I think i might pick one up. I dont know about you guys but it seems like i have 5-6 scoopers...... kinda like a women and shoes...LOL!!!
Drilling Lakes out Since 1975 !

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:14 AM »
you have 5-6 women????  seems like everything plastic that I have bought for ice fishing ends up broken....

Offline Kip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:24 AM »
LOL!!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:25 AM »
seems like everything plastic that I have bought for ice fishing ends up broken....

Try a Big Dipper. You break that you have some issues! ;D

WS

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:50 AM »
I have always used a good size net to clean the slush from my holes. Works great, gets all the lil stuff too with just a couple scoops.

I got this one from HT at walmart for a couple bucks. Use it to clean my freshly drilled holes and scoop bait.
Handle is also made of foam. So if u drop it, it floats =)

I keep a metal scoop with me to chip out holes, and use this net to clear out the pieces of ice as well.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:11 AM »
Why didn't you post this a little sooner,I was a Cab's yesterday for my fix and if I would have knew of such a thing or it would be in my possession right now. I will get one the next tine I go.   Jerry

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:18 AM »
I had a chance to use one last year . They work great ! Got one for Christmas and it will be great for cleaning holes in the shack !
---- Joe ----

Offline Kip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:21 AM »
bb, how wide is it?

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:29 AM »
should work really
 goodawsome design

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:30 AM »
About 4in if i had to guess.
I have a 10in auger and it cleans it in seconds.
If you have alot of slush just get a bigger net.

This one has a 17in handle, 9in wide hoop (you can bend it so it fits a 8in hole)

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2013, 08:35 AM »
Father in law got one for Christmas, he hasnt used it yet but it looks like itll work good. 
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Nice.
Master Laker taker.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:03 AM »
I have a 8" auger the 2 sizes are 6-8 inch, and 8-10 inch, should I get the bigger one? I also use a fine mesh minnow net to scoop the final small floating ice out of my holes works great. I was thinking the bigger one 8-10" might do a better job scraping the slush that sticks to the side of the holes that doesn't float up?

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:19 AM »
Haven't any of you guy's heard about the "Slush Inhaler"?   http://www.paiff.org/slush-inhaler.php  It beat's the hell out of anything I've ever tried! DIRTBALL2 ;)
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:22 AM »
U guys are crazy lol, just get a good sized bait net (less than $2). You have it with you anyway to scoop your bait. It cleans a hole in 2 seconds.
Keep the metal spoon on hand for chipping ice out of froze up holes.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:22 AM »
Haven't any of you guy's heard about the "Slush Inhaler"?   http://www.paiff.org/slush-inhaler.php  It beat's the hell out of anything I've ever tried! DIRTBALL2 ;)
Yes I have seen that, but it looks pretty cumbersome to haul around along with everything else already in the sled.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:26 AM »
U guys are crazy lol, just get a good sized bait net (less than $2). You have it with you anyway to scoop your bait. It cleans a hole in 2 seconds.
Keep the metal spoon on hand for chipping ice out of froze up holes.
We already have over a foot of ice it would take all day with a minnow net, but I do use one for the final clean.

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:45 AM »
Had a Flipper/Dipper (green) for many moons, before the fire. New one looks even more Zoot. It is on my list of things to get on my trip North next week. Minnow net is fine-until it freezes, which seemed to happen a lot with me. Flipper/Dipper never let me down.  A love hate thing-either you will get one or you won't. You will do just fine without one. For me, it was a big convenience., and as I said, i will have another as soon as i get headed north.
Wish my trip could have been a week sooner, the current fishing report in Minocqua, (www.kurtsislandsports. com), said everything is biting and the temps are currently in the 40's :woot: Suppose to be back down in the teens when I get there, which is fine , as long as the snow stays away  :%$#!:.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Had a Flipper/Dipper (green) for many moons, before the fire. New one looks even more Zoot. It is on my list of things to get on my trip North next week. Minnow net is fine-until it freezes, which seemed to happen a lot with me. Flipper/Dipper never let me down.  A love hate thing-either you will get one or you won't. You will do just fine without one. For me, it was a big convenience., and as I said, i will have another as soon as i get headed north.
Wish my trip could have been a week sooner, the current fishing report in Minocqua, (www.kurtsislandsports. com), said everything is biting and the temps are currently in the 40's :woot: Suppose to be back down in the teens when I get there, which is fine , as long as the snow stays away  :%$#!:.
I am welcoming the warm weather, we already have a foot of ice so it is no big deal. More comfortable to fish. The cold will be back Saturday night, down around zero again.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:49 AM »
We already have over a foot of ice it would take all day with a minnow net, but I do use one for the final clean.

17in handle +11 more on the net. Over 2 feet of scooping action.
I just leave it in with my bait so it dont freeze

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:52 AM »
I do have one of those with the slightly bigger mesh, but like someone else said they are pretty worthless once they freeze. I am not always using minnows.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:54 AM »
Never had that problem. I leave it in the bucket with my bait. If i leave it out i just toss it back in the bucket when i go out to check my bait/holes and its fine by the time i get to the holes.
To each their own tho I guess.

Offline ammoman16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2013, 01:17 PM »
Has anyone tried the Ice Flusher?  It looks like it would be the ticket for any permanent or wheelhouse.  I saw one for sale last year at a resort on Winnie and just about pulled the trigger.  Still thinking I might have to get one of these.

http://www.outdoorlogictv.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=14&zenid=1aobgaog0l8e13qmkbie10pkm6

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2013, 02:16 PM »
Has anyone tried the Ice Flusher?  It looks like it would be the ticket for any permanent or wheelhouse.  I saw one for sale last year at a resort on Winnie and just about pulled the trigger.  Still thinking I might have to get one of these.

http://www.outdoorlogictv.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=14&zenid=1aobgaog0l8e13qmkbie10pkm6

I wonder if you just drilled some small holes in a toilet plunger if it wouldn't do the same thing, if you got one the diameter of your hole? It is not the slush that floats that bothers me its the slush that sticks to the side of your hole 8"-10" down that is annoying.

Offline brycro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:49 PM »
I am tired of my metal skimmer.....cheap rivet is loose and head rattles ever so slightly drives me crazy and the damn thing  freezes up and is worthless.
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:52 PM »
That's cool, now why didn't I think of that?

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:42 PM »
I am welcoming the warm weather, we already have a foot of ice so it is no big deal. More comfortable to fish. The cold will be back Saturday night, down around zero again.

I have been waiting 2 long years to hit the ice again, I will take whatever weather Mother Nature hands me
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.