New Hampshire > Ice Fishing New Hampshire

Shiner trapping

(1/8) > >>

Erb:
Been itching to get on the ice, just got back from school figured I would try to trap some shiners. Have tried a few places, no luck. have heard beaver ponds and fire ponds. Not sure if I should put it on the bottom of the water or suspended in the middle. Also not sure if I should put it near the dams or running water. So far have found that on the bottom and near the water running out does not work. Have a new place picked out for tomorrow. We will see.
Happy to be doing some sort of fishing
Happy thanksgiving everyone

merk42:
I have marginal luck catching shiners in late fall/winter. Seems the creek chubs that look like dace, migrate out of the brooks and pull back to bigger water, I never catch any in brooks at this time...I would try ponds, use dry kitty food or pond fish food on the bottom. You should get some...

jigmaster5:

--- Quote from: Erb on Nov 22, 2023, 06:58 PM ---Have tried a few places, no luck. have heard beaver ponds and fire ponds. Not sure if I should put it on the bottom of the water or suspended in the middle. Also not sure if I should put it near the dams or running water.

--- End quote ---

They slow down w/ the skim ice, but you can still get some.

I have my best luck w/ no flow this time of year & on the bottom.

Keep trying!

Erb:
Headed back to unh. No luck. In Hudson NH, tried 1 beaver pond. 1 large pond near weeds. And 1 stream. May try again up in Durham. If not will be trying again second week of December once I am back for the long break. Do guys that use nh caught shiners find they have better luck fishing? Catch a lot of different types of shiners ? Had been using a frabil trap just got a  be gees one also.
Thanks for the tips

rmoody79:
I have my best luck using Amazon, 2lb and 5lb bags from Anderson farms

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version