Author Topic: fly reels?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline eskimo roll

• IceShanty Rookie
fly reels?
« on: Sep 21, 2011, 11:18 AM »
Is anyone using fly fishing reels on their jigging rods?  Just wondering if it is worth a try.  Anything special to consider?  I'm guessing that I need to use some backing on these, I was thinking that tip up line would work good.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: fly reels?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2011, 11:59 AM »
yea definatly worth a try.  just make sure to get the biggest/cheapest backing line. and make sure you have a fairly large spool. larger the faster you can reel.

i like to keep 2 fly reels in my jigging arsenal.

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2011, 12:39 PM »
One of the Shanty Sponsors Frabill, has a new model of fly reel and rod combo on their website, click on the frabill banner at the top of the page and you can check it out and read the reviews.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2011, 01:38 PM »
I dug out an old fly reel last year and taped it to one of my noodle rods.  It is now my go-to set-up for light lures and finicky gills.  The only downside to it is that you have to listen to the clicker on the reel.  Kinda' ruins the peace and quiet aspect of ice fishing.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2011, 04:49 PM »
I dug out an old fly reel last year and taped it to one of my noodle rods.  It is now my go-to set-up for light lures and finicky gills.  The only downside to it is that you have to listen to the clicker on the reel.  Kinda' ruins the peace and quiet aspect of ice fishing.

most you can take the clicker out!! a little work and presto, you have a silent fish killin machine!

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2011, 05:38 PM »
My uncle put a fly reel on one of his poles last winter; seemed to work well for him.  I'm trying it this year on my noodle rod.  I figure the line won't coil.  I use FireLine Ice on all my poles and plan to use on this fly reel.

The WORST day of fishing is ALWAYS better than the BEST day in the office.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2011, 06:48 PM »
got a ross flycast 1 on a 28" TB powernoodle and an okuma slv 2/3 on a st. croix legend ul spring bobber rod....out fishes spinning reels on shallow fish (less than 15 feet) about 3 to 1...it'd probably be more if i could reel faster!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.