Author Topic: Sorel...What Happened?  (Read 59099 times)

Offline fhsww48

• IceShanty Rookie
Sorel...What Happened?
« on: Nov 19, 2005, 08:34 AM »
I was wandering thru Gander Mt last night. I found a display of Sorel felt pacs. Wow they really looked like junk and they was $70. Must be it dont get cold in China like it does where they used to make them in Canada. I'm glad I got my Icemans.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sorel...What Happened?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2005, 07:27 PM »
just bought a pair of -100 lacrosses that are identical to my old sorel glaciers . paid 50!! cant go wrong with that. found em' in sportsmans guide.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2005, 10:09 AM »
I got those -100's at sportmansguide too.  I have gotten them down to -35 a few times with out even the slightest hint that it was cold.  Now if they could make a face mask for -35 and beer that stayed liquid that temp, my life would be so easy. 

Offline UncleFluffy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2005, 12:55 PM »
I got those -100's at sportmansguide too.  I have gotten them down to -35 a few times with out even the slightest hint that it was cold.  Now if they could make a face mask for -35 and beer that stayed liquid that temp, my life would be so easy. 

Yeah, those Beercicles just don't feel the same, do they?   ;)
Kent Vanderploeg

Put Them Back...Put Them All Back.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2005, 09:33 AM »
Columbia bought out Sorel, exporting the jobs and quality to China from Canada!!!! >:(

Offline swede7

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2006, 01:43 PM »
  Well, instead of just hammering Sorel, what about LaCrossse? As a certified cheesehead, you can imagine my dismay when I went to replace my American made Icemans (probably 12 or more yrs old) with a new pr. of Ice Kings, and turned them over to see made in China on the soles. Then I looked at the Sorels and thought, what the heck, rather feed Canucks... and there it was again....
  If it was something that could have waited, I'd have found an American outfit that sold pacs, but it was an urgent thing, next time, the money stays home.

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2006, 11:27 PM »
  Well, instead of just hammering Sorel, what about LaCrossse? As a certified cheesehead, you can imagine my dismay when I went to replace my American made Icemans (probably 12 or more yrs old) with a new pr. of Ice Kings, and turned them over to see made in China on the soles. Then I looked at the Sorels and thought, what the heck, rather feed Canucks... and there it was again....
  If it was something that could have waited, I'd have found an American outfit that sold pacs, but it was an urgent thing, next time, the money stays home.

Thats what happens with globalization. Just think of the money these companies make now paying some kid 50 cents to $2 a day to make who knows how many pairs of hundred dolar boots. You aren't feeding the workers, most of them can't even afford food with what they make.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2006, 09:26 AM »
i dont know whats going on with Sorel boots, I bought a pair for about $100 bucks when I was in Forestry School 13 years ago and I wore them untill two season ago they were warm, dry and comfortable. So I figured great boots... I will replace them with a new pair... paid $69 at campmor and they lasted 1 ice season, they are junk, they leak, the insulation is inferior. They were fantastic the first season! They just dont last like they used to :(

crowkiller

« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2006, 06:32 PM »
sorel used to make a good boot but i wouldnt wear them even if they were freeeeeee

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2006, 12:08 PM »

may i suggest a botle of cabo wabo anejo ??  it wont freeze!! its some of the best TEQUILA around!  -moose
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

crowkiller

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2006, 03:40 PM »
may i suggest a botle of cabo wabo anejo ??  it wont freeze!! its some of the best TEQUILA around!  -moose

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2006, 05:34 PM »
You don't play with that stuff... at 60$(cheap have payed 80$) for 750 ml  and smooth as water.. it gets interesting!  -moose

crowkiller

« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2006, 05:39 PM »
ive been to cobo last year in july, went to sammys bar and drank some of the fresh stuff. SMOOOOOTH

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2006, 09:35 AM »
i liek  the anejo red bottles :-)

Offline iceman99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2006, 06:59 PM »
lacrosse were always better than Sorel :tipup:I know more than a few people who switched from sorel to lacrosse because there feet got cold or wet,and were glad they switched

crowkiller

« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:09 PM »
i know fist handed

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:12 PM »
I have Mickey Mouse boots I was issued in the Air Force way back in 1986. I'm still wearing them and my feet still don't get cold. They are not as white as they used to be but they are in perfect shape otherwise. I also have my original parka but it's on it's last leg. I'll have to go to a military surplus store and get another one.

Initially I couldn't figure out why I never saw a deer when I went deer hunting in that parka. It was the Jet fuel fumes on it.   ;D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline ice rambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2006, 08:57 AM »
PATRON

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2006, 01:57 PM »
I switched out of necessity.I had a pair of Sorel Dominators and they were the best pac boot ever made.Had them for ten years feet never got cold or wet.
I have a pair of Ice Kings now.I'll let you know in ten years!

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline Zee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2006, 11:20 PM »
Baffin Boots are probably the best going right now, very expensive though. My LaCrosse are also made in China, after reading this thread, I had to check  >:(

I'll be surprised to see them last more than a couple of years.

Offline biggeorge50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2006, 03:40 PM »
A friend of mine used to be a distributer for Sorel.  It seems that the owner of the company retired and turned it over to his kid.  It only took his kid 2 or 3 years to run it into the ground.  A Chinese company bought all of their machinery, so they must be using inferior materials now.  I agree that they are no longer any good.  I was lucky enough to get advance warning and picked up 4 pair for my kids before the switch (at factory cost no less).  He didn't have any of my size left, so I switched to Irish Setters (also made in China now).  What's a man to do?

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2006, 04:11 PM »
Baffin Boots are probably the best going right now, very expensive though. My LaCrosse are also made in China, after reading this thread, I had to check  >:(

I'll be surprised to see them last more than a couple of years.

I bought a pair of Baffins at Herb Philipsons a month or so ago...got them on closeout (last years boots), 40 bucks and they're great.....nice removable liner, heavy semi lug sole, and waterproof.......

I used to use Sorels when I was younger but like everyone else says, now they're junk and not worth wasting money on.....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2006, 04:41 PM »
Check out Sorrel's children's boots, they are a $50 embarrassment. They should be ashamed.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2006, 09:44 AM »
Switched from Sorel to LaCrosse and it was a purchase well worth it.
Bought the Extreme PFT Boots and they keep the feet PLENTY warm and DRY all day long.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2006, 06:52 PM »
My old La Crosse boots are American made, I will be interested to see the quality difference in the new ones. :-\

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2006, 08:19 AM »
I dont know how you could wear out sorels!   lol  I have 4 pair 2 with safetytoes and 2 really high ones I got then while in air force (mickymouse boots are were not really practical) and havent had to buy another boot since  and that was back in 93!  cant aford new ones anyway    but cant wear em out!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2006, 11:25 AM »
Just the insoles wear out...which you can buy for $25.  Clicky, clicky http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722670265/page/1.html   

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2006, 11:26 AM »
The sole and the stitchin of the boot itself were flawed in my pair. The liners got replaced annually.
Still IMHO SOREL BOOTS SUCk :)

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Bummer.   :(  My sorel caribous have had 4 hard years of ice fishing and snowmobiling.  Still in good shape...warm as long as my feet don't sweat too much.

Offline Wegashanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE KING
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2006, 11:47 AM »
Yeah, those Beercicles just don't feel the same, do they?   ;)

I actually like those beercicles.  You drink all the unfrozen alcohol and toss the frozen water thus leaving more room for more beercicles.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.