Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Safety

Safe Ice? - US Army ERDC Guidelines

<< < (2/4) > >>

sticks:
some really neat information there but what it does tell you is what the surface area for the load, are we talking about a square foot?
Im by no means an expert on weight distribution or the density of ice, BUT and correct me if im wrong, the amount of weight you can place on 1 square foot of ice thats 4 inches thick would be alot less than the amout of weight you could place on 10 square feet of 4 inch thick ice?

Skipper:
If the army did it, it would be in reference to men, gear, and vehicles. I don't think the army would be interested on how much weight you could skid out on the ice on a car hood. ;D

I believe that 4'' will hold a ton. I have seen cars out on ice that was no more 4-5 inches thick and it wasn't even sagging much. Clear new ice is very strong.

If you have a brain though, you use the 50% rule to keep yourself safe. If you measure the ice, be prepared for the ice to be 50% as thick on other parts of the lake.

You can drive a small car on 5'' of ice if you feel lucky and have inhaled too many fumes from the sunflower heater. Along the way, you should expect to tread on ice that is 2.5 inches though. :-\

Mainehazmt:
I use my own rule   I dont go out on the ice till there is a good foot   then 14" before I used to bring the truck out   Last few years I just sled out!   Must be getting old!!!!

jasond37:

--- Quote from: Skipper on Sep 25, 2008, 05:54 PM ---If you have a brain though, you use the 50% rule to keep yourself safe. If you measure the ice, be prepared for the ice to be 50% as thick on other parts of the lake.

You can drive a small car on 5'' of ice if you feel lucky and have inhaled too many fumes from the sunflower heater. Along the way, you should expect to tread on ice that is 2.5 inches though. :-\

--- End quote ---

I like that 50% rule.  Good thing to think about when venturing out, especially on unknown areas/lakes.  I know that ice thickness is usually uneven throughout the lake, but never put numbers to it.  I haven't heard of this rule before, thanks! 

petrgill:

--- Quote from: tarbot on Sep 25, 2008, 12:03 PM ---Here is the Mass Wildlife Ice thickness info....
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwice.htm

--- End quote ---

They moved the link:
http://environment.blog.state.ma.us/blog/2010/01/stay-safe-on-the-ice.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version