The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pics Of Your Spear  (Read 74617 times)

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Pics Of Your Spear
« on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Lets see some pics of your spear. It is good to see what everyone else is using, and how good it works for you.

Here is my new homemade spear >:D. Hasn't even seen a fish yet.

Pic of middle tine.
>:D >:D >:D >:D
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Re: Pics Of Your Spear
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:20 PM »
Here's the most recent spear I made.  Just waiting for a chance to take it out now.  When I get home this weekend I'll take some pics of the other spears I've made. 

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:25 PM »
wow thats nice :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:26 PM »
Here's the most recent spear I made.  Just waiting for a chance to take it out now.  When I get home this weekend I'll take some pics of the other spears I've made. 

You did a great job. I never made one but my dad is a welder and he works in a machine shop and does allot of fab for are hunting and fishing habits so I think that will be the next project. I buy mine($50) but I will get a pic and show you guys any ways.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:30 PM »
If you are thinking of making your own, I highly recommend getting Ice Fishing Spears by Marcel Salive.  It's a good read and has some real good spear ideas.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2008, 05:05 AM »
Here's some pics of my other spears.

This is one of the first spears I built, but it has since been modified.  It originally had 5  1/4" tines with cuyt barbs.  I went back and added 4 more 5/16" tines and tig welded bigger barbs on it.  the tines are 9 1/2" wide and about 5 1/2" long

This spears tines are 9" wide, 1/4" diameter, and 8" long.  I made the bladed shoulder from 1/4" plate.The barbs are made with a hack saw.  I sharpened the shoulder between the tines, but after cutting a pike in half, have dulled the shoulder between the tines, lol. 

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:38 PM »
Friend grant with His homemade arrowhead spear,note the fletchings on the end of the handle.  ;D

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline ice junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2008, 12:37 AM »
[/img][img]

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2008, 01:31 AM »
I have never spearfished before so my question might sound stupid, but here goes.  The handled of your spears look like they are metal.  If they are don't they slide in your gloves making them difficult to get a good jabbing action and if you don't use gloves don't you get frostbite?  Just curious.
Travis

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2008, 01:40 AM »
I have never spearfished before so my question might sound stupid, but here goes.  The handled of your spears look like they are metal.  If they are don't they slide in your gloves making them difficult to get a good jabbing action and if you don't use gloves don't you get frostbite?  Just curious.
Travis

Not a stupid question.  I always spear out of a heated shanty so I don't have to worry about wearing gloves or getting frostbite.  I don't hold the spear very long.  I lean my spear against the side of the shanty, then when a pike comes into view, I grab the spear and slide the head and about 2-3 feet of the spear into the hole.  Once I have a good sight on the pike, I release the spear.  So I am only holding my spear for a few minutes.  Hope this answers your question.

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2008, 04:20 AM »
Thanks, it's always interesting to learn different aspects of a sport that I love.
Travis

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:34 PM »
Thanks, it's always interesting to learn different aspects of a sport that I love.
Travis

Sometime if you make it down by Wasilla, let me know and we'll go spearing.

Offline ice junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2008, 12:15 AM »
darkhousefisher i know you posted that you were at Memory lake how was it? I drove out there to take a look and i drill some hole and there is a lot of shrimp in that lake. If you want you can tell me the good spot! ;D I fished thought the canal to the right. Did not spear use a pole and did not have luck just a few LL.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:36 AM »
Friend grant with His homemade arrowhead spear,note the fletchings on the end of the handle.  ;D

Are those field points from arrows on the tips of the spear :-\ . That's what I call a Hillbilly deluxe :laugh: .

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2008, 01:21 PM »
Are those field points from arrows on the tips of the spear :-\ . That's what I call a Hillbilly deluxe :laugh: .
Yep thats what they are with homemade spring steel wire barbs.The arrows can be unscrewed to remove the fish instead of ripping it back out.  ;D  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:08 AM »
Bump this back to the top. Maybe I'll ask to have this made into a sticky. ;D
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2011, 01:21 PM »
Here is a pic of my spear.[img][/img]
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline Betterlabs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2011, 06:41 PM »

Offline BUCKNAKED

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:56 AM »
I'll Play

Here's my Kraemer

I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man with no feet and took his shoes.

Offline spearinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never trust a man who doesnt drink
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2011, 03:30 PM »
hey, i'm new to this site. i'm looking to buy a new spear.  i have a nine tine i bought from knutsons in brooklym mi and i speared a pretty good pike with and it swam off and bent my tines so, now i'm looking for good one that wont bend.  i really like some of the ones you guys made.  would anyone be interested in making one for me?

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2011, 03:32 PM »
hey, i'm new to this site. i'm looking to buy a new spear.  i have a nine tine i bought from knutsons in brooklym mi and i speared a pretty good pike with and it swam off and bent my tines so, now i'm looking for good one that wont bend.  i really like some of the ones you guys made.  would anyone be interested in making one for me?
before you ask someone to make you a spear there alot of things YOU need to do.     
#1 - number of tines, length of tines and size  (width/diameter of tine  and size of head/spacing of tines).     might as well add material to this too.   carbon steel, stainless, chrome-moly, etc. . . .round, square or hex stock. 
#2 - weight and balance.
#3 length of handle and material.  top of handle included in this - straight shaft, tapered, or ball top. a wood handle is harder to balance than metal, etc.  a 6 foot long handle is harder to true and balance than a 4' handle.   the thicker the handle material, the easier it is to balance = 1/2'' handle is EZ'er to work with than 1/4''.
#4 - type of barbs. silver soldered or brazed on or,  cut and notched from shaft with a saw/grinder.
#5 weighted head or just the stock/material for weight.           NOTE, the heavier the head, the easier it is to guide.        never ''throw'' a spear.
#6. you've already felt the pain of a production spear.   Knutsons is a reputable seller/store, they can't cover all the bases.   the spears they sell are like from other stores, they are production made, cheap to buy.    not the best ever.  modifiable, maybe.
good spears are not cheap.   custom spears are more money yet.      heat treating alone cost around $50.00 for me added to the cost of the spear material and labor.    add cyro treatment on top of that (heat to 300 degrees - freeze to -300 degrees) is another $40.00.   that's $90.00 after the spear has been ''built''.   
not trying to scare you off on anything you think you want.    a custom rifle always costs more than one off the rack at wal-mart.          will the custom shoot better and be more reliable than the wally-world gun? probably.           is it worth the $ $ $?          totally up to you.
a good spear will last 4+ lifetimes.   my 5 tine back-up spear is over 60 years old. hand built.  PRICELESS.     my main sticker is a handmade 7 tine - 1 1/2'' spacing, cut barb, 1/4'' carbon steel, round stock tines, heat treated and cyro'd.  add a 5' x 1/2'' shaft, ball top, golf club, tapered grip material at 4'.   cost? , you guess.   
90% of the comercial built spears sold today will hold 90% of the fish cleanly hit for under $70.00.   it's the other 10%-10% that bothers me.
i know not all readers will agree with this post,  but, i had to say it.    i'll take my custom rifle to the deer blind,   i'll take the custom built, S&W 45acp revolver with it.       i'll take the custom spear(s) to the shack and that's just the way it works in my world.   i'll live without ''other things'' in my life to have what i ''want''.   that includes the St. Croix 9' sc-IV steelhead rod and the 13'-6'' Sage that goes to the river with me along with the shimano sustain reels.
bragging - NO - eating PB&J, canned pasta, or bologana to have toys i want - Y E S. drinking cheap beer instead of Bud, Y E S.   Canadian Hunter instead of Jack Daniels, Y E S.     Trader Vic's instead of Capt. Morgan,  Y E S.    in my world, i can live with it.   
always keep your spear protected in a holder of some sorts when not in use.    never grind on a good spear.   never more than a medium file and a whetstone after it has been properly tuned and balanced.  P E R I O D.
best of luck. spearing pike, burbot and whitefish make the winters bearable around here.

Offline nin akawawa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Tradewell Decoys
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2011, 12:04 PM »
couldn't agree more.  Where I live most people are spearing with the old 20-40 year old spears.  Why?  Because they are the best.  Handmade, fly true, dont splash and make noise, the fish don't get off. 
I just go out there day by day do'n the best I can.  Some day I be the hero some day I be the goat.....Today I be the goat. (Kirby Puckett)

Offline spearinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never trust a man who doesnt drink
« Reply #22 on: Mar 05, 2011, 05:57 AM »
thanks for the info.  i'll have to do some shopping in the offseason.  i've heard alot about the amish made spears.  but, where would i start looking?

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2011, 07:18 PM »
Here are a few pictures of my first attempts at making some spears:

Offline JCrean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2011, 03:07 PM »
Dave Pawlak Darkhouse spear, with a little of my own doodling on it.

Offline JCrean

• Team IceShanty Regular
My New Baby
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Just received my new baby, an Evolution Spear custom made to my specs by IS member Blackhawk.

This thing is even more amazing in person.

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2012, 03:21 PM »
I hand forged this spear on a 180 year old anvil, last spring. This was one of the first things I forged so I was just learning at the time and I plan to make somemore this year now that I've had alot more time forgeing.

P2121261 by jasonmichalski, on Flickr

P2121262 by jasonmichalski, on Flickr
 :flex:

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2012, 03:48 PM »
this spear was given to me by my grandpa. he said a old Neighbor gave it to him years ago when he lived on the Saginaw bay.
It's a take down spear and can fit in a bucket I think it's a perch herring spear.
The head next to my forged spear for size purposes.

P2121264 by jasonmichalski, on Flickr

P2121265 by jasonmichalski, on Flickr

P2121266 by jasonmichalski, on Flickr
The next pic is the bottom of the shaft , but the head is form a spear that my Dad just gave me last week he told me the same story of how he got it as my Grandpa. My Dad years ago didn't know the head came off so when he decided to make it warmer for spring sucker spearing he cut the handle in half and put a broom stick on it. He said it was just a rod with a hole at the end. I took off the head and I'm going to make a new shaft. I think the same person made both spears because if you look close at the pics they are the same except for the size,and the pike spear head has a brace at the back, and when I tried the larger head on the shaft of the perch spear it screwed right on. I tried it like that this weekend and will have it on its own shaft by next weekend.

P2121267 by jasonmichalski, on Flickr

P2121263 by jasonmichalski, on Flickr ;D

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:17 PM »
Spear my cousin built me!

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #29 on: Mar 30, 2012, 12:30 PM »
I just saw this same spear on an e-article in Field and Stream...are you Dave, or is that spear and "emblem" the maker's trademark?

Spear my cousin built me!
(Image removed from quote.)

BE THERE!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.