Author Topic: Blackstrap 2022-2023  (Read 34150 times)

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Blackstrap 2022-2023
« Reply #30 on: Nov 22, 2022, 08:02 PM »
Well finished up with deer hunting and went out for the 1st time on Saturday...tried two spots and only caught 9 small throw back perch.  Went out again today and started at Evans Road...2 1/2 hours....one small perch and one other bite.  Moved in front of the ski hill for a little over a hour...not one bite...moved in front of the beach area for another good hour....not one bite.  Drilled over 60 holes in total and really moved around each area.........what happened to the fish?

Talked to couple guys on Saturday and they mentioned that they saw a lot of fish floating during the summer.  As I don't fish the Strap during open water can anyone confirm this?

Evans road was a good 8 inches...other areas had ice that was 6 to 8 inches.

Offline ZXJpYW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Nov 22, 2022, 08:04 PM »
Yes it was very slow this weekend I was able to ice (2) small walleyes (1) small pike . U could see them very tight to the bottom if u jigged aggressive they would book it off . U could bring them up slowly they would touch the lure but not bite and slowly slink away along the bottom.

Yes, 100% this. I felt a small bump every time a sizeable mark showed up (that wasn’t a pike racing in).

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #32 on: Nov 22, 2022, 09:42 PM »

Talked to couple guys on Saturday and they mentioned that they saw a lot of fish floating during the summer.  As I don't fish the Strap during open water can anyone confirm this?

Hey CR,

Heard from multiple people there was a large winterkill from this past winter. People are expecting perch numbers to be down. On a side note, this may improve walleye and pike catches this winter, as there will be less feed in the lake. Just anticipate slower days or really focusing on those bite windows.

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Nov 23, 2022, 03:12 PM »
Well finished up with deer hunting and went out for the 1st time on Saturday...tried two spots and only caught 9 small throw back perch.  Went out again today and started at Evans Road...2 1/2 hours....one small perch and one other bite.  Moved in front of the ski hill for a little over a hour...not one bite...moved in front of the beach area for another good hour....not one bite.  Drilled over 60 holes in total and really moved around each area.........what happened to the fish?

Hey CR nice to hear you got out. I fished Evans road Monday and caught two measly perch. We drilled around on both sides of the road and didn't mark fish consistently anywhere. Saw a few perch and walleye on the camera but also quite a few pike at 25 feet.

I heard of a fair amount of winter kill in the spring but I fished in the summer and had no issues finding consistent walleye and perch. I'm fairly confused on where they all went as well. Later in August there was lots of fish floating but from what I could tell it was all whitefish.

Hope the bite turns around soon!

Offline Gkomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Nov 23, 2022, 07:41 PM »
We caught and released tons of walleye this summer our best day was 65 . Biggest walleye and personal best on the strap this summer was 26.0" . Yes tons of floating white fish this summer . We caught very few perch , 95% walleyes and 5% pike one over 15 lbs all released . Hopefully catch more walleye this winter

gman51

« Reply #35 on: Nov 23, 2022, 08:11 PM »
Out for the afternoon today enjoying the great weather and good safe ice 6-7 “ in the areas fished. Slow start picking up just a couple small 8”perch kept tripping the flag but of course just pulling on the minnows not really biting. Picked up Late afternoon/ evening landing 4 walleyes 3 more at 16-17” and a nice one at 22”. Again very soft biters they wanted nothing to do with loud and flashy. they’re around maybe just have to adjust your presentation .

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Nov 23, 2022, 11:33 PM »
Nice Wally Rip, how many trips onto  the ice  this year so far

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Nov 24, 2022, 05:24 AM »
Nice one. Congratulations 👍👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

gman51

« Reply #38 on: Nov 24, 2022, 06:48 AM »
Nice one. Congratulations 👍👍
  thanks Raquettedacker.

gman51

« Reply #39 on: Nov 24, 2022, 06:54 AM »
Nice Wally Rip, how many trips onto  the ice  this year so far
  just 3 trips so far ice is looking really good. great for walking.. and making ice with the minimal snow cover and colder over night temps.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 24, 2022, 09:36 AM »
Hey CR,

Heard from multiple people there was a large winterkill from this past winter. People are expecting perch numbers to be down. On a side note, this may improve walleye and pike catches this winter, as there will be less feed in the lake. Just anticipate slower days or really focusing on those bite windows.

I had my kayak out in late May and counted 15ish perch floating. Some were still kicking, most weren't. They were inbetween 5-7". I was just south of couple hundred yards from the causeway. I saw a lot on camera last weekend but they weren't too big. However the White Fish in around 5-7fow were very fun but couldn't get them to hook up.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Nov 24, 2022, 03:33 PM »
Thanks everyone for the reports and thanks Rip for posting (showing), us that the Walleye are still abundant.  Let's wait until we can drive on and try all of our honey holes to see if we are going to have a slow winter perch wise.  We all know size wise the last couple of winters has showed less jumbos, with lot's (and I mean lot's), of smaller perch.  I am sure there is still a ton of perch available to us.  I just think we might be a little rusty our 1st couple times out this winter.  I was almost ready to use my 10 inch DuPont spinner, but I usually like 10 inches of ice under me before using it.

By starting out slow, we only have better days ahead of us to look forward to.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Nov 24, 2022, 03:34 PM »
Thanks everyone for the reports and thanks Rip for posting (showing), us that the Walleye are still abundant.  Let's wait until we can drive on and try all of our honey holes to see if we are going to have a slow winter perch wise.  We all know size wise the last couple of winters has showed less jumbos, with lot's (and I mean lot's), of smaller perch.  I am sure there is still a ton of perch available to us.  I just think we might be a little rusty our 1st couple times out this winter.  I was almost ready to use my 10 inch DuPont spinner, but I usually like 10 inches of ice under me before using it.

By starting out slow, we only have better days ahead of us to look forward to.

Offline Gkomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Nov 25, 2022, 06:42 AM »
Nice fish rip !  👍

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 25, 2022, 06:57 AM »
Nice fish ripnflutter, wish we had ice.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Nov 26, 2022, 05:55 PM »
Tried my luck in front of the park boat launches today, nothing.  Buddy had his camera down and I had my flasher, 21', nothing.  Drilled holes from 21' to 10', nothing.  Drilled from 21' to 26', well, you probably can guess what I found.  Just before we left, we caught one small walleye that went back.  I talked to a few other guys as they were walking by, and everyone had the same reports.  One group was fishing tip ups and they caught 3 decent sized Northerns while we were there in about 25' water.  We started at 10:00 and finished up around 4:00 so not really the ideal time of day either.

Offline ryder29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 26, 2022, 06:38 PM »
Did the warm weather this week affect the ice at all? Thanks in advance.
I'm just trying to get another bite.

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Nov 26, 2022, 07:47 PM »
Looked like there was some surface melt but none today.  I would say 8"-10" where we were.

Offline ZXJpYW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Nov 26, 2022, 08:32 PM »
Strap finally gave up the goods today.

Nine inches up at the north dam. Great ice, no issues with melt. Tried to sight-fish in three or four feet at sunrise, saw plenty of fish swimming under the ice and cruising right past my lure. No luck but still fun to watch. Moved on and set up in 20 feet.

We managed to land a few healthy pike that fought really hard, but the highlight of the day goes to my better half who landed her PB walleye at 23 1/2"!! Woo!

Offline ryder29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Nov 26, 2022, 08:48 PM »
Nice work on the pb walleye! Thank you for the updates!
I'm just trying to get another bite.

Offline Gkomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Nov 27, 2022, 07:55 AM »
That's some nice fish there congrats on your pb walleye . I was out yesterday in the vicinity of south boat launch and iced a 16" wally any one small wally maybe 10" . Regards

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Nov 27, 2022, 04:57 PM »
Wow, beautiful day on the Strap today......70.......th at is correct, you read that right, 70............70 holes drilled, one spot on the South end and one spot on the North end.  One heavy bite and one small perch all day long.  I was wondering if this past summer there was a canal trenched, connecting Blackstrap to the Dead Sea, that I didn't hear about.

I won't be going out again until after this cold spell coming up and we can drive on.   Good 9 inches in the two areas I was today.

Offline Gkomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Nov 27, 2022, 05:11 PM »
Well I was out today and only caught 1 walleye maybe 12" had at least 6 or 7 big ones follow the hook off the bottom  u could see them coming up and opening the mouths on the mega live but no other takers , there were tons of small perch in the 6 ft to 10 foot range that followed the hook up and down , I was south of the boat launches at the picnic tables .  I drilled from south end almost 3/4 way to first pump house on Friday and caught sweet tweet , I bet I drilled over 75 plus holes , I feel your pain Churchill . Regards

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Nov 27, 2022, 05:43 PM »
Thanks Gkomo, sounds like your hurting to :)  This has been the worst start to the winter season for me ever (and I am old). 

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Nov 29, 2022, 08:28 PM »
A total of 4 late afternoon trips before this cold spell. Either 2 or 0 walleyes in the shallow 10ish feet of water. Best one is this:

gman51

« Reply #55 on: Nov 30, 2022, 06:08 AM »
nice one Toonfisher !

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Nov 30, 2022, 08:02 AM »
That is a very nice chunky Walleye T.F.

Offline Gkomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Nov 30, 2022, 04:00 PM »
Nice fish there toon fisher

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Nov 30, 2022, 08:19 PM »
Very nice Wally TF

Offline Scrunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Nov 30, 2022, 09:21 PM »
I seen a post from a guy a few days ago that was very snowed in on the north end along the rock road. Does anyone know if  it has been plowed or if a guy can drive to the north end boat launch? I know a guy sometimes goes out there with his skid steer and does EVERYONE a solid by cleaning up the access.
That guy should post his email so some of us real ones can etransfer him for doing all of us a solid.
Thanks team.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.