Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing With Electronics

FYI flasher battery issue

(1/2) > >>

MichiganMan:
I hope this experience will help someone some day. I have an older Marcum lx-5 great unit. Took it out a few days ago, turned it on, and nothing happened. Dead.  Took it home and checked the battery, multi meter said 12.58 volts. I checked all the connections still nothing when turned on. As I said this has been a great flasher for probably 12 or 15 yrs without a problem. So it was well worth the cost to send in for repair. While looking for an appropriate  size box to ship it in I came across a spare battery. Hooked it up and away it went working like it was new. Rechecked the non working battery still said 12.58 volts. Tried it again, still didn't work. I have used the unit twice since and works great. Bottom line is a battery can check good with multi meter and not work on the flasher. Note : this is not a Vexlar vs Marcum post. Our family has and uses both, both are good units.

hardwater diehard:

--- Quote from: MichiganMan on Jan 20, 2022, 12:30 PM ---I hope this experience will help someone some day. I have an older Marcum lx-5 great unit. Took it out a few days ago, turned it on, and nothing happened. Dead.  Took it home and checked the battery, multi meter said 12.58 volts. I checked all the connections still nothing when turned on. As I said this has been a great flasher for probably 12 or 15 yrs without a problem. So it was well worth the cost to send in for repair. While looking for an appropriate  size box to ship it in I came across a spare battery. Hooked it up and away it went working like it was new. Rechecked the non working battery still said 12.58 volts. Tried it again, still didn't work. I have used the unit twice since and works great. Bottom line is a battery can check good with multi meter and not work on the flasher. Note : this is not a Vexlar vs Marcum post. Our family has and uses both, both are good units.

--- End quote ---

How old is the "dead" battery ?

MichiganMan:
probably 4 or 5 yrs old.

ice dawg:
You might hook the battery up to the flasher and test the voltage with the flasher turned on. The multimeter will probably show low voltage with the flasher running.

regulator:
I've had regular "old used" marine starting batteries do this. They will read like proper voltage, but the available amps will be non-existent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version