Author Topic: 2AH battery vs 4 AH, 6AH etc?  (Read 2745 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
2AH battery vs 4 AH, 6AH etc?
« on: Jan 14, 2022, 07:59 PM »
Do batts with higher AH ratings produce more torque i.e voltage and current? By their ratings they obviously produce  power for a longer time, but do they produce more torque as a natter of course? I have seen suggestions that they do. True or not? And, if true, what is the explanation? My auger with a 2AH stalls while cutting holes. My bud's with a 4, or possibly 6, does not. I am trying to figure out if it is the auger or the drill and battery? TIA
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 2AH battery vs 4 AH, 6AH etc?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2022, 08:20 PM »
It makes a difference, especially with a bigger auger. My drill will cut out with a 2ah, no problems using a 4ah.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2022, 05:12 AM »
Amperage...The strength of current of electricity expressed

My guess is that Ah is the length of time a battery will deliver power to a "device" (drill) to run at it's rated/peak torque. As the battery weakens, less torque is delivered, thus cutting out, due to the fact that more amps AND torque is required to, in this case, to turn the auger. So thickness of ice, size/sharpness of auger and amount of force used will also determine the power required to "punch a hole".

I typically don't just "pour the coal to it" when drilling a hole. Minimum pressure to the drill/auger; enough to make the cut; thus saving power.

All of the above might also say that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about either .  ::)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2022, 06:30 AM »
Yes. A higher ah battery will last longer and give you more power. 2ah is no good for turning an auger.

Offline RickOnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2022, 10:13 AM »
I am not an electrician LOL  So not sure of more torque.

My buddy uses a 6AH battery on a Milwaukee hammer drill

He turns a Finn Bore III  8"

Has no problem in any depth of ice or no of holes

Bottom line I would try an higher AH battery

I know they are expensive but maybe borrow your buddys and give it a try

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2022, 12:28 PM »
The motor will deliver advertised torque provided it has enough voltage and amperage.

If you starve the motor it will under perform.

Today's batteries have overload protection in them and will cut out for several reasons in which one of them is too much amp load. Another is over heating. Another is if it's too cold to charge.
So your battery is cutting out to save itself.

You do need about 100 inch pounds of torque per inch of auger.

You also benefit from longer run times from larger capacity batteries. So of the three batteries, your best choice is the 6amp. They do make larger for some brands. I use 9amp and have three of them.

DC motors can draw from a large power source and only use what it needs, example, your car starter is hooked up to at least 500 CCA and while engaged draws roughly 200 amps.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2022, 12:40 PM »
So yes and no. Like already said, Amps is what you are really talking about. A tool can only perform at its peak when it can pull enough amps from the battery at one time. Think of a 3" water pump, it can pump the most water with a 3" hose. If you reduce the inlet hose to 2", it wont be able to suck up as much water and will not perform to its peak.

Inside these tool batteries are a set of cells, each cell can output a certain amount of current. Inside your 2Ah battery will be FIVE 2ah cells outputting 3.7V which attached in series outputs 18.5v. Inside a 4Ah is 10 cells, 5 in series outputting 18.5v like in the small battery but another set of 5 added to it in parallel to double the capacity. When you add packs of these cells in parallel you decrease the internal resistance of the battery pack, thus letting it output more amps at once (you increase the water hose diameter). As you go up in AH, the number of cells increase which lowers the internal resistance even more. So an 8Ah can provide more amps than a 6ah, which can provide more than a 4ah, etc. Eventually you get to the point where it does not matter anymore, and you are putting an 8" hose on your 3" pump.

Then there are High Output batteries, these use a special cell inside them that discharges a large amount of current FAST instead of a small amount for longer times. Sort of like a starting battery vs a deep cycle. You are seeing these more and more in the 1.5-3Ah range, and they usually have about the same discharge power as a 4-5Ah battery with shorter run times.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2022, 04:06 PM »
I run a Dewalt DCD996 with a 6ah and I punch a ton of holes - never had to go to my back up 5ah battery.  Bigger the better.
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2022, 06:08 PM »
Thx guys. So here is my understanding: The internal resistance in a battery causes the output current to drop off from its starting value. The drop off is biggest in the batts with the lower AH rating. Correct?   

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2022, 06:10 PM »

I know they are expensive but maybe borrow your buddys and give it a try

Hi neighbor! :)  Good suggestion. I guess that will be the true test. pretty well a controlled experiment. thx

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2022, 09:11 AM »
Not sure what your asking. Sounds like a description of self discharge. That used to be a thing with older batteries like nicad.

Otherwise usage drains/uses the amperage with voltage. Voltage delivers amperage. Torque/load is the main resistance to the battery.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2022, 10:58 AM »
Thx guys. So here is my understanding: The internal resistance in a battery causes the output current to drop off from its starting value. The drop off is biggest in the batts with the lower AH rating. Correct?

Yeah, basically

Interal resistance limits the output of each individual cell within the battery pack. More cells = more output power and longer run time in drill batteries.

Lower AH rating, the less power it can give at once unless they are "high output" batteries.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.