Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Tipups

opinions wanted

(1/2) > >>

river_scum:
what are the advantages of tip up types?  mainly the three stick wood types of yesteryear vs the polar types.  i have limited time running the older style ones.  so i ask those that have used them for decades.thx

krispcritter:
My take is the cross sticks take up alot less room for storage and transport. Unless you make, buy or steal a hole cover they will fill with snow and freeze over. The round disk type cover the hole keeping snow out and insulate to slow freeze over. However, they are bulky and take up valuable real estate to store and transport.

stripernut:
Shallow water; Cover type with a horizontal spool, deeper water; "traditional" with a vertical spool. If I liked to fish shallow beaches for rainbows, I would own the cover type, I don't, so I don't.

DR.SPECKLER:
I thing heritage lakers would be good in deep snow on the ice and deep water.everything else beaver dams.

river_scum:
ok so flag stands higher and they take up a bit less room. both good points.

what i like about the polars(not the round type) is the T on top.  i can see if the fish is taking line while walking to it.  i can take my time when its not spinning. i also grab the T to pickup and set the hook.  they dont take up much more room than the 3stick type in my bucket/bag.  we usually dont get the snow we used to either, so flag is plenty high to see.

thanks for the opinions guys.  i think ill stay with the polars.  they have served me well since the 80s and are still going strong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version