The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: spear handle options  (Read 4936 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
spear handle options
« on: Jan 16, 2018, 04:26 PM »
ok so I have a nice new amish made spear but I'm a newbie and before i throw that and screw it up on a rock or bend the tines somehow I bought a cheap plasma cut spear head that needs a 1/2 handle welded to it.it was 28 bucks and I know its going to plane in the water but I'm spearing in 8ft or less.can I just get a 1/2 piece of rebar for a handle?not looking to put big money into this practice spear.rebar is available around here  6 bucks for a 20ft section.i haven't really seen any 1/2 smooth bar around over 3 ft long.

Offline reproman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: spear handle options
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:20 AM »
I'm no expert on welding handles on, but I suppose it would work. I guess I wouldn't be afraid of using your Amish spear. It should be plenty durable. If you go in with the idea you're going to wreck it though, you probably will though ;). Just be careful of your depths if you happen to be over big rocks. If you happen to nick a rock, touch it up with a file. Good luck!
Trying is the first step to failure-Homer

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:47 AM »
I went with steel round stock but its only 48 inches and  with the spear head its 57 inches long.is that to short?i thought about putting a wood end piece on it but don't know how to fasten one on or what to use.probably have to be tapered for it to glide in the water.going to spray it all down with clear coat to some what slow the rust down.i think it will be long enough for a shallow water spear.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2018, 03:26 PM »
Rebar is fine...  if you want a wood handle if you got a wood lathe turn it to the shape you want..   epoxy it on maybe even put a few screws/bolts in it to hold it on?? I use 5 min epoxy for my rod handles so should be good enough for a spear handle.. just going to use more of it then a rod cause of bumps on the rebar.. like. A whole tube of epoxy.. do you have a welder to weld it on??  And if you got a welder you got to make a 7 tine perch spear if from michigan??  I made one with those twisted nails 7 of them in a piece of round stock  i drilled stright threw round stock.and welded nais in a vee pattern l.. .then welded a rebar handle on. The twisted nails prevent the perch from escaping the spear.. kind of like a barb.. only can use those perch spears on lake  st clair so keep it in mind.. to bad I gave that spear away guess it's time to make another..

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2018, 04:40 PM »
Rebar is fine...  if you want a wood handle if you got a wood lathe turn it to the shape you want..   epoxy it on maybe even put a few screws/bolts in it to hold it on?? I use 5 min epoxy for my rod handles so should be good enough for a spear handle.. just going to use more of it then a rod cause of bumps on the rebar.. like. A whole tube of epoxy.. do you have a welder to weld it on??  And if you got a welder you got to make a 7 tine perch spear if from michigan??  I made one with those twisted nails 7 of them in a piece of round stock  i drilled stright threw round stock.and welded nais in a vee pattern l.. .then welded a rebar handle on. The twisted nails prevent the perch from escaping the spear.. kind of like a barb.. only can use those perch spears on lake  st clair so keep it in mind.. to bad I gave that spear away guess it's time to make another..
yeah my bud has the welder.thinking about the wood handle now.so I can lathe one out but whats a good wood that wont crack?im thinking epoxy and little countersunk stainless nuts and bolts because the rope will be easier to attach by drilling a hole in the wood handle than it is thru 1/2 smooth bar.that part needs to be secure so I don't send the spear to Davey jones.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:08 PM »
How about a Suger maple or red oak maybe spar varnish it? To water proof it better the wood handle? They use spar varnish on canoe oars and boat oars maybe dip it and let it hang dry?? The think about suger maples like birds eye or plain white maple and red oaks they are very hard wood..  stonger then say balsa or bass wood .. those woos will hold up better then others is why I say it..

unless you got a source for exotics like lace wood , burl maples and other burls. Or even ebony which is a very hard black African hard wood..  you can buy these at wood craft here in michigan..  I know they got other stores every ware..  but very expensive wood.. that is why I stay with maple ,red oak ,and cherry woods.. bease there cheaper to buy ..

you could just get a red oak dowel form lowes and turn the ends to shape wanted..  but would drill the hole first for the round stock.. I have had the bit on center and drilled stright threw the piece and the bit still kicked out the side of the stock.. in the drill press  I was using thats why it's best to drill first.. that way your not wasting time and effort just encase it happens.. I have tried crown points and reg drill bits seems you just got to take it slow can't force it threw the bit can only chew so much..  so don't make it bite off more then it can chew.. you may also want a centering guide  to drill it out so either buy or make one ..

Another trick is you can epoxy it to a half inch bolt and turn it in the drill press.. that is if you don't have a lathe ..  then when you need that bolt removed.. there is  two way you can do it.. one is  boiling hot water and let it soak in water till epoxy softens as it boils.. two you can use a propane torch heat bolt up... then pull out with vise grips locking pliers.. but must be carefull cause wood burns.. that brings me to other point branding the wood can be done to.. this is  before sealing..  I have seen coat hangers twisted so that.. it looked rope like when branded with a name.. or favorite sayings etc.. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:34 PM »
ive got some black walnut,ash,cherry.oak here.im thinking black walnut..thought about glueing a 16" walnut/cherry/walnut/cherry stack then latheing it out.get the spear head tomorrow and got the round steel already but  but I'm fishing all weekend.get it donesooner or later.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:08 AM »
ive got some black walnut,ash,cherry.oak here.im thinking black walnut..thought about glueing a 16" walnut/cherry/walnut/cherry stack then latheing it out.get the spear head tomorrow and got the round steel already but  but I'm fishing all weekend.get it donesooner or later.

If you do the walnut/cherry stack for sure use polyurethane glue and spar varnish it..   ya this warm up this week end around here should be good for inland lake fishing..   might even try a marina on erie if i get the chance..

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:15 AM »
I will put up pics when its done.i have decided black walnut for the handle.its only a $40 spear.my amish made one is so much nicer.yeah the lake I'm going to only has 3" of ice and I hope I doesn't get to sketchy out there.its a all day trip and about a quarter mile walk.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:29 AM »
I will put up pics when its done.i have decided black walnut for the handle.its only a $40 spear.my amish made one is so much nicer.yeah the lake I'm going to only has 3" of ice and I hope I doesn't get to sketchy out there.its a all day trip and about a quarter mile walk.

If you really get in to spearing a gopro is a fun addition to.  Seen guys spearing videos with those attached to spear.. lol's  just a suggestion..

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:50 AM »

If you really get in to spearing a gopro is a fun addition to.  Seen guys spearing videos with those attached to spear.. lol's  just a suggestion..
right on.i have 2 spypoint xcel cams.put one on the spear and one overhead.my intentions are to go spearing then get to the lake and start panfishing and setting up tip ups..lol.ive bought all the stuff a few years ago but its all brand new  on display in my house.shappell widehouse 6500 for the spearing shack, 9 decoys.fishs ice saw, spears and live decoy pins.ive speared onceabout 5 years ago in my buds hardside on gun lake.it was cool with the little stick burner stove in it.didnt see anything but it was cool working the decoys and staring at live action tv..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2018, 12:42 PM »
You said you were planning to pan fish if you happen to catch some smaller pans like gills and perch I throw those on my live decoy rigs.. they dont come in to suckers have never had luck with decoy suckers on any of the lakes I fish.. try small pan fish around 3 to 4 inches long no bigger no smaller.. I think your from michigan is why I say this if from else ware disregard cause I know michigan it is legal to use legally cought game fish as bait.. else ware it maybe ilegal.. once these predators are in the lake they start eating whats In there and will only key in on what's in lake.. basically  it's a fish thing lol's .. best thing you can do is use baits from the lake your on.. then all you pay for is spikes or waxies.. for the pan fish and don't got to worry about 2 to 4 dollar each decoy sucker.. 5 suckers every trip is $10 plus waxies etc this is if you don't already do this??

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:31 PM »
You said you were planning to pan fish if you happen to catch some smaller pans like gills and perch I throw those on my live decoy rigs.. they dont come in to suckers have never had luck with decoy suckers on any of the lakes I fish.. try small pan fish around 3 to 4 inches long no bigger no smaller.. I think your from michigan is why I say this if from else ware disregard cause I know michigan it is legal to use legally cought game fish as bait.. else ware it maybe ilegal.. once these predators are in the lake they start eating whats In there and will only key in on what's in lake.. basically  it's a fish thing lol's .. best thing you can do is use baits from the lake your on.. then all you pay for is spikes or waxies.. for the pan fish and don't got to worry about 2 to 4 dollar each decoy sucker.. 5 suckers every trip is $10 plus waxies etc this is if you don't already do this??
yes I'm a Michigander,good idea on the free bait.i have caught a lot of northerns on small perch and bluegills on tip ups, might as well put a pin in them.lol.i have never caught pike on a sucker either but they do love big golden shiners..tomorrow my group is running a bunch of tip ups and fishing for panfish.sunday I might stare down a big hole cut in the ice.thanks for the tips iceshanty brother.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.