Author Topic: Tobin Lake info.  (Read 4229 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Tobin Lake info.
« on: Feb 01, 2005, 08:54 PM »
Hi everyone,
 I would like to do some ice fishing at Tobin lake this winter. I have never fished this body of water before. My main target would be monster pike. Does anyone know what area of the lake to fish, how deep I should fish for the pike, and what lures or bait would be the most effective there? Also how thick is the ice on Tobin, can you drive on it and besides the dam areas are there other areas you should avoid? Any info is appreciated, thanks.   ???   
Tight lines everyone   :tipup:

Water Wolf        

<><   >*)}}}}>< 

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
Re: Tobin Lake info.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2005, 10:28 PM »
The good pike areas are the shallow flats on the south east portion of the main body of the big lake, i don't think there is much for access around the dams as the ice is unsafe in these areas. we use an access point on the south side north of carrot river although travel at this time of year on the big lake can be tough, fishing fairly shallow seems to produce the monsters like 5-12 feet on "the flats". i always stick to tip ups with big baits like tullibee on quick strike rigs. usuall slow this time of the year but march usually is a good time especially the later half. my two biggest pike in the last year or so have been at tobin both in the mid twenties.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2005, 03:32 PM »
Thanks for the info Meadow Pikeman,
  How far out from shore do you have to go to hit the good areas? Sounds like to me a snow machine would be the best way to move around out there eh? Also are there other species of fish to target out there on the flats while waiting for the lunkers to show. and if you have a camera, did you see a lot of action out there?
Good fishing  :tipup:   ;D

Water Wolf

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2005, 08:03 PM »
do see the odd walleye on camera's on the flats but not really any consistent sightings. some days you see quite a few on the camera other times you don't see a whole lot. to get even into anything 5 ft of water or more you have to be a long way from shore at least a few miles where we drive on and some spots are 6miles or so out and 8-10ft of water.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2005, 01:49 PM »
Thanks MeadowPikeman,
 Good info, I am itching to tangel with a large northern pike, I haven't caught a big one since early July last year. I think that lake might be the ticket. I went fishing last Friday and hooked up with one 4lb pike.
 Good fishing  :)

Water Wolf

Offline whitetip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2005, 02:19 PM »
Which is the best way to get onto the lake.  From the west side or from the east side. And can u drive on tobin.  In the summer time we fished straightout from tobin lake resort, there was a stick there that everyone was fishing at.  Also all the tournment fisherman and woman where fishing there also

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2005, 02:52 PM »
usually you can drive on at the resort i think sometimes they even plow a road part way out onto the lake

Offline whitetip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2005, 03:39 PM »
Thanks Meadowpikeman for the info.  can u catch perch anywhere one the lake like righ tout front of the resort about 700 yards out

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2005, 08:17 PM »
yeah i've heard right out from the resort for perch can be pretty good although never tried it myself

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2005, 01:42 PM »
MeadowPikeman,
  Have you ever caught burbot at Tobin Lake before? And if they are there would they be in the flats with the pike?  Good luck fishing  :tipup:

Water Wolf

Offline whitetip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2005, 02:21 PM »
Hey Water Wolf, i fish Codette Lake alot and i have fished the river going into Tobin and we have caught them fishing for walleye all the time.  We did not do anything special for them but never actually wanted to go out and catch them on perpose

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2005, 07:14 PM »
my guess would be there are more burbot down by the resort than up on the flats as they are so shallow

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2005, 06:04 PM »
Which is the best way to get onto the lake.  From the west side or from the east side. And can u drive on tobin.  In the summer time we fished straightout from tobin lake resort, there was a stick there that everyone was fishing at.  Also all the tournment fisherman and woman where fishing there also

That is the famous hump or hole they all talk about. It is deadly for walleye all year long, that is where the father was, or close to it. For burbot, find a hump 6-10 feet or a sandy point and you will find em. They will start spawning soon and you will not keep em of your hook, a nice strong jig, 1/4 - 1/2 oz tipped with a minnow.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2005, 05:20 PM »
Thanks for the info. TJG, I will have to try that area also next time I am at Tobin Lake. That hole or hump sounds like a good multi species spot. Yeah the burbot will be spawning soon, all the fish will be getting ready also, so I hope the fishing will pick up next month, I have talked to a lot of people and they all say the same thing that the fish are not biting, don't really matter what lake they have said, the trend seems to be province wide. They should start to get a bit more cooperative in March, I hope, lol, good fishing. :tipup:

Water Wolf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.