Author Topic: help finding a smelt hook for northern  (Read 1236 times)

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
help finding a smelt hook for northern
« on: Jan 11, 2004, 11:18 PM »
I need a hand if there is anyone out there who can help me-

I am trying to find someplace to order a smelt hook online- I think they are also referred to as a "Norwegian Pike hook" or "Swedish Hook". They are shaped like 3/4's of a triangle. I cannot find anywhere online that stocks these, I have seached for about a week now, and they are not carried by any stores in my area either.
Can anyone help me out?!?!  ??? I have a tournament coming up and I need them! Thank you very much for your time- Nodakbassmaster
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
Re:help finding a smelt hook for northern
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:58 AM »
This place has them and you can order them online.
http://www.hookandhackle.ca/index.htm
Hope that helps.
FTD

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2004, 08:38 AM »
Thank you! Hopefully the webpage cooperates soon so the image will show up!
-Richard

evad

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2004, 08:44 PM »
If you cant find them give me an address and I will get you some, I have seen a couple of sizes and can get them almost anywhere here in central WI  give me a holler  seeya

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2004, 01:40 AM »
thanks to both of you- some have been located!! they are the style 7724 on the mustad website, if your interested to look! I found a source locally that can order them from the manufacturer now that I have a part #  ;D
-Richard

Pikemaster

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2004, 07:24 AM »
NODAK-

If you haven't used Swedish hooks before, you may want to test drive 'em before you use them in a tournament.  I gave up on the dastardly things years ago, for what it's worth.  I never felt like I got a good hook-set, and, at best, if you allow even the least bit of slack in your line (I know, I know, but sometimes it happens), poof, lost 'gator face.

I know pretty much always use a pretty simple treble hook rig.  I puncture the smelts airsack, then insert a large treble hook (#2,4) shank-first up from the the bottom so just the eye is protuding up through the back near the front of the dorsal fin.  Exact hook placement takes a little practice.  It's important that the smelt hang close to level.  The beauty of this is that you can prepare several baits in the warmth of your basement before the outing, hanging them one at a time from a leader in a bucket of water to check the angle of the dangle, then put them in a baggie and go.  Now all you need to do is clip or tie onto the exposed hook eye and you're set.  No big ole' hunk of exposed steel like a Swedish hook, and very rarely a dropped bait or a shake-off.  

If you're catch-and-releasing, you can set the hook right away and will rarely miss.  If you're fishing for the pan, give it a minute or two, and even the biggest smelt will be halfway down the gullett.

ONE MAN'S OPINION.  I sure there are many who would disagree with me.  Chime in!

TIME SPENT FISHING IS NOT DEDUCTED FROM MAN'S ALLOTTED TIME ON EARTH.

Pikemaster

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.