Author Topic: Windlass tip ups ?  (Read 2359 times)

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Windlass tip ups ?
« on: Jan 11, 2004, 05:11 PM »
 ??? Is this tipup best used for jigging lures or bait?

Also, if used with lures, what lures or kinds of lures should be used for this tipup?

PLEASE ONLY REPLY IF YOU HAVE USED THIS SPECIFIC TIPUP.
 TIA for any replys!

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
Re:Windlass tip ups ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2004, 05:31 PM »
  Tip-ups are'nt for jigging.They're for suspending bait! Usually when a fish hits the bait it triggers a flag to pop up signaling the hit.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline howey1176

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2004, 06:12 PM »
mrlondbeard1:

These tip ups use the power of the wind to actually "jig" the bait, or whatever your using. It's pretty cool to see them work. :)

HaveAuger:

I myself don't have any experiance with them, but my uncle swears by them. He uses live bait (fathead minnows) only. He does real well with them.

broken rod

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2004, 06:36 PM »
on these tip ups you i use both jigs and live bait they work pretty good in my opinion :)

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2004, 11:00 PM »
I HAVE USED THESE TIPUPS AND THEY DO JIG BAIT AND LURES WHEN THE WIND IS BLOWING. THE PROBLEM WITH THEM IS THE LINE HOLDER IS OUT OF THE WATER AND IT WILL FREEZE WHEN THE WEATHER IS TO COLD. ALSO IF THE WIND IS KICKING AND THE FISH ARE INACTIVE THE JIGGING MAY ACTUALLY SCARE THE FISH.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2004, 08:38 AM »
They work well for jigging your lures and bait. And since the winter is always accompanied by the wind your in luck. They work well. I use them for smaller fish.

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2004, 09:27 AM »
muskiematt--i tried them quite afew years ago, but what i didn't like was the buildup of ice on the line, especially when its -20 or -30 below. sometimes the wind action is a little too much for walleye in my opinion, but alot of anglers use them with good success. grumpy

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2004, 10:29 AM »
You're right grump about the line freezing. I went out yesterday and it was -17 without thw ind! Luckily there wasn't much to speak of. I've used the windlass for perch, picks, trout....smaller stuff. I prefer a heritage laker or polar for the bigger stuff.

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live To Fish, Fish To Live
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2004, 10:29 AM »
i have one and the only problem is they will fall over if u dont place them in the slush very good. and your line and spool is out of the water. otherwise i like them alot. ;)

trapperdirk

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2004, 12:54 PM »
SSSHHHHHHHHHH . Don't tell anybody but they work awesome for Brookies where no live baitfish are allowed . ;)

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2004, 05:49 PM »
Has anyone used small jigging rapalas on the windlass for trout and panfish? I haven't tried them yet and wondered if it might be too heavy or how I can adjust it properly.

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2004, 10:57 PM »
THERE SHOULD BE A NUT CONNECTED TO A A SLIDE PIECE OF METAL ON THE BACK. THEN THERE IS A SPRING HOOKED UP TO THAT THAT WILL ADJUST THE ARM TO STAY UP. YOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH IT A BIT. ONCE YOU GET IT SET AND LEARN HOW TO ADJUST THE ARM TENSION YOU WILL EASILY BE ABLE TO ADJUST FOR OTHER THINGS LIKE DIFFERENT SIZE BAITS AND LURES

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2004, 09:20 AM »
I have had a pair of these for about 15 years.  This is what I have found:
I love them with deadbait for northerns, but only if the temperature is above freezing.  Not only does the line on the spool freeze but when your hole freezes the line freezes where it enters the water therefore stopping the jigging motion.  The spring helps you control how much jigging action and wind control you will get.  They are a nice addition to a well rounded arsonal.  I wouldn't recommend using 5 of them all the time, but it's a nice way to break up your set and try something else.
Rich Ferguson

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2004, 10:06 AM »
i bought one once and think they are junk   wind wpuld jig it till the line frozze in the hole an dthe wind would change dirction and blow it over give me some wood tipups and im set            usta have those ht plastic tipups not anymore junk junk junk      sorry i just dont like em
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

trapperdirk

« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2004, 10:56 AM »
 Are you positively sure they are junk Fishing king . LOL Or might it have something to do with the patience of the operator .? LOL
   Now as far as the freezing the line and things they are true . But they definately have there place in anyones arsenal . Just keep your hole open or use a cover .I have had one since they were first  introduced and just picked up another .
   When I tire of jigging and need a break one of these come out to go along with my set line . That way I have the best of both worlds always .
   We are only allowed two lines here so what you choose can become critical
   I use these in my brookie lakes with worms or with a dead salted minnow where we aren't allowed live baitfish . Work awesome .

DipLip

« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2004, 11:07 AM »
I'm with trapperdirk....they're my go-to on the days when the holes are stayin' clean...late in March, mid-winter thaw periods etc! My "giant killer" for big pike. Walleyes, lakers, panfish also.

As far as lures go, about the furthest I've gone is a bright (chart, red, glow) leadhead tipped with a lively or dead baitfish. A simple hollow plastic bead like you'd use on a crawler harness is a great attractor I like to use above my baitfish. mOre often than not, I run a quick-strike with deadbait,  a single treble with a bead and a live minnow or a single treble and a smelt.  

The trick with these rigs is balance above and below the surface of the ice/water. Too much or not enough, and the rigs operate at 1/10th their potential.

Don't forget to cup/curve the alluminum fin to catch more wind. I also add magnets (simple fridge magnet disc) to the fin to balance them. This is normally when running baits over a foot long, where extra weight is required.  

Offline Fishbreath

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2004, 12:04 PM »
They will out fish stationary tip-ups.
My wife is a widow during ice season.
ice shanty #53
VBA #299
retirement is't all its cracked up to be.................... ............its better

Offline wisicefishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2004, 05:00 PM »
I have 2 of them and they are ok.  As said before, you have to keep the line free of ice.  I used a cover and a small amount of vegitable oil.  When it gets too cold, I go back to the truusty polar's.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.