Author Topic: Spider Wire??? any good  (Read 8014 times)

captinjohn

Spider Wire??? any good
« on: Dec 23, 2003, 10:14 PM »
How about SpiderWire?  Is it any good for ice fishing?  It appears to be a braided line.  What is the smallest dia available?   Thanks  Capt,n

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Re:Spider Wire??? any good
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2003, 10:45 PM »
Can't tell you about Spider Wire thru the ice until later this year, but, I can tell you from several years experience using it in Salt Water how it reacts.
First, it is the MOST SENSITIVE line you will ever use.  It has NO stretch, so you can feel the fish BREATHING on your bait!!!
Second, it does not absorb water, so chances are it will perform perfectly on the ice.
The diameter of 15 lb. Spiderwire is equivalent to about 4 lb. mono, so, the diameter of, say, 4 lb. Spiderwire would probably be so small you could hardly see it!!  Not really great for tying those knots with cold fingers!
Speaking of knots....Spiderwire (and all other braids) are SUPER SLIPPERY, so your knots had better be perfect.  Most of us use a drop of Krazy Glue on the knot after it's tied to prevent unravelling.
I'm betting the stuff will be GREAT thru the ice!!  Will let you know later this winter.

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live To Fish, Fish To Live
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2003, 11:06 PM »
hey capt'n ive use spider wire in the summer and in the winter on my tip ups all i can say its very sensitive and it out preforms mono and ill never change for the summer, on the tip ups its great, except for when a fish takes a run it burn and cuts through your skin like a fillet knife so make sure u have your hands wet to start the fight. I think it ties great nots and the other guys right it can be a pain to tie in the cold! but other wise i love the braided line i have 30 lb on my summer pike rod and it's the diameter of 6 lb . ;)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2003, 03:12 AM »
I've used 2-10# Spider line on one rod for several years now. There's a couple of lakes I fish that have a heavy, matted weed bottom. It's necessary to get a good sized jig through the cover to the bottom to get to the fish.

They hang out under it on sunny days. Lost a lot of jigs before I set up with that line. Now I don't lose jigs or fish.

Cut the line with a sharp knife...clippers won't work well...I use a polamar knot....no glue necesary.

RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2003, 04:29 AM »
I've tried spiderwire on my jig stick years ago, i remeber that it had real bad memory. Thats why i quit using it, looked like a spring
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2003, 06:52 AM »
careful with dry cold hands-kingfish#1 said it.  :-[ that stuff will cut like its going thru butter- merry christmas and many good bites

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2003, 07:43 AM »
I use spider wire on all my tip-ups.  It is great stuff.  If I want to go fishing for toothy ctitters I don't have to worry about changing my line or using a leader.  If I want to use my tip-ups for perch or crappies I just tie on a 2 or 4 lb test leader of Berkley.  This stuff really lasts.  I can usually go two years before I change.  
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2003, 08:17 AM »
I've tried spiderwire on my jig stick years ago, i remeber that it had real bad memory. Thats why i quit using it, looked like a spring
[/q
uote]
You must be refering to the spider wire mono type. The braided spider wire has no memory.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2003, 08:26 AM »
I've got 1 perch pole and 2 crappie poles rigged with fire line I like how it works. It does tend to hold a little water. I'ts not a big deal with the crappie rigs because i fish them on tip-downs. The perch pole can be a little trouble because the line tends to freeze on the reel.  It is the toughest fishing line you'll ever use, but not good for jiggging small jigs
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Fishmon

« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2003, 08:55 AM »
I have mixed feelings on using spiderwire.  Coated spiderwire is better than original.  Problem I have is that it tends to freeze up on reel when it is really cold out.  We often get some nasty 0 degree weather in January which makes freeze ups a problem unless you are in a shanty or fish trap.  Personally, I like flourocarbon ice lines better.

Beech_Grover

« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2003, 08:56 AM »
I used the Spider wire Fussion. Like it alot in the summer. Used it this year for ice worked great for gill and crappie. had no problem with memory . we were in 12 ft. or less water. Just make sure you get good sharp cutter. or it will fray on the end , makes rigging the next jig a pain. But right now would not change. Be safe and have fun and try to take some one new this season.

Merry Christmas to all.

jiggaFL-18

« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2003, 09:27 AM »
spider wire is simply put ...GARBAGE!......flourocarbon is the way to  go......mono is ok also.....but  yeah spider wire is  strong  with small diamater...but can be seen 100 miles away ....no way  you can get much more fishusing flourocarbon

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2003, 09:44 AM »
my problem with spider wire is using it one day and then going out the next time and having it slip on the spool. >:(
Is there a trick to prevent this from happening?
I like using the stuff,but it is a bad deal to try to set the hook and have the line slip on the spool.
thanks guys
Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

GentleBen

« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2003, 11:09 AM »
I assume everyone is speaking of spider wire stealth. I thought the stealth just came out last year as I got a free sample of 75 yards in 30# test. I'm using it on cat fishing pole and reel for open water fishing and its great. Like it much better than fireline, no memory and very flexiable. Actually power pro is my favorite of the superlines...GB

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2003, 11:49 AM »
Actually, Spiderwire and spiderline are two diffrent lines. The spiderline is a mono-mix of some sort. I like the line but not the wire. I found the 4# diameter to be great for jigging. Gonna try it for icing this year.

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2003, 06:59 AM »
I think thats my problem i don't look at the fine print. They have spider wire spiderline  spider what ever. I do use fireline and i really like it.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline IceKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release an a pan full of grease!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2003, 12:39 PM »
I have some Spiderwire Ice Line that I bought about 5 years ago. I love the stuff, but I can't seem to find any more.. Does anyone know where i can find some?
Its Ice Now!

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2003, 07:48 PM »
you guys having trouble with freeze-up using superlines.....try spraying them with fish attractant.  works for me!  i don't believe erch are that fussy about being able to see the line i think the small dia. is all about being able to suck a small jig in.  crappie, now i think that maybe a different story.  not sure it really matters with pike either.
BUD

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2003, 09:45 PM »
WYOMING ICE, Tie on line backing before using synthetic line.  Small amount of braided ice fishing line or regular monofiliment.  This will keep the super lines from slipping.  If fishermen are concerned with fish seeing the synthetic line, tie a leader of flourocarban etc. to the tag end.  I link the super lines for ice fishing.  
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

captinjohn

« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2003, 10:18 PM »
Wallmart has Spider Wire in West Mich area.  It is a line I am going to try for sure.  May use a small swivel and short leader at the end of Vanish mono!!!!  Cannot wait to try it!!!!!  Capt,n

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2003, 10:30 PM »
I love it while fishing dingy water for largemouths and smallmouths in open water.  I haven't used Spiderwire through the ice, but have used Fireline, but for jigging spoons and such.  I didn't like it, water iced up within the braids.  But, I can see that it would be good for tip ups but haven't used it for that myself.  I can tell you that there isn't a fish in Freshwater in any of the states that I fish that will break that stuff on a run...but pike teeth and pickerel teeth cut it like butter (open water)...  I've used the 6 lb. diameter 30 pound test usually, and have used heavier, for open water.  I like it, just not for finessing panfish through the ice.  I like the idea of spraying attractant too.  It is highly visible.  I think the only fish that really would be lineshy are trout more than the others, but generally ice fishing waters where I go are crystal clear.  I prefer mono or fluorocarbon just in case they are line shy and my beliefs are wrong...confidence factor!  I've used it in open water when the water was clear and sometimes I do well, others not.  No stretch, great for fishing plastic worms or jigs!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2003, 08:07 AM »
Hey Ice King.
 I think I saw some hanging on the wall at Bearwood Bait the other day when I was in pounding a few with Charlie?  I see you giveing an ice report on Otisco Lake so you must be close to the Skaneateles area 8)
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline IceKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release an a pan full of grease!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2003, 11:57 AM »
Thanks Dogfish, I'll check it out. I'm in Solvay.
Its Ice Now!

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2003, 06:54 PM »
THANKS HOPPES, :)
I FIGURED THAT SOME SORT OF BACKING WOULD BE USED.I DIDN'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT TO USE THOUGH.
THANKS AGAIN
WYO ICE
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

captinjohn

« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2003, 08:06 PM »
Just got a brand new spool of SpiderWire.  It has the word  "FUSION" on package.  Yellow and black box with a Spider on it/   150 yards   10# test with 4# DIA.   Gonna try it tomorrow am.   I will report soon on it.  Tight Lines .. Happy New Year .. Capt,n ::)

captinjohn

« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2003, 12:19 PM »
I just got back from ice fishing.  I tried the line and really like it a lot.  Just use a short leader of your favorite mono .... (I used 3#  Trilene for ice)  tied to a swivel.  Works great ...those clumps you normally catch your fine ice line on is no worry any more.   This stuff just slides right off.   If it does get caught a little....just give it a jerk and its free.   Try it  Capt,n :o

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2004, 06:21 AM »
 :( for get spider wire  what you need is fireline  I  use it open water  &  I feel a leaf  on my spinnerbait I know it  rite then & there  now I use fireline ice for  ice fishing  still the best \
 but dont take my word on it  & I dont work for fire line

hope i helped you

Steve
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

captinjohn

« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2004, 09:07 AM »
Thanks Steve:  What # test do you like for spinners?  Also what # for ice...like for Gills.   Capt,n :)

grumpymoe

« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2004, 09:44 AM »
i was going to try spiderwire until my buddy lost some good lures and fish. i chaffs very easily in my opinion, so i wont use it. spiderline is super sensitive and appears to stand up very well, but in summer, i found that under certain conditions it will self knot. not for me. grump

captinjohn

« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2004, 11:48 AM »
Hi Old Grump....sounds like you know your stuff.  I bet you know where to fish ..ect.   If you come to west Mich, lets go fishen!!! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.