Author Topic: Barometric pressure  (Read 909 times)

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Barometric pressure
« on: Feb 28, 2007, 12:14 PM »
I never really paid much attention to it for ice fishing, started watching the barometer for hunting a few years ago.  I've noticed quite a bit of deer movement when the barometer starts falling...I imagine it would be the same for fish.  I pay more attention to the barometer than the moon for planning my hunting days.  Anywho, we have a big area of low pressure coming in tomorrow night, thinking about getting out in the late afternoon and hammering the crappies.  Anyone else pay attention to atmospheric pressure...

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Barometric pressure
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2007, 01:03 PM »
Yup and I like it most when it is falling before a front and when it had been steady for a few days. Sometimes fish commit suicide during a falling barometer with a front coming.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2007, 01:07 PM »
During open water, when the barometric pressure begins to fall fish feeding activity increases in but only if the front that is about to enter the area is a warm front. A cold front will “turn off” the fish and they will not be active. Ice fishing conditions, generally any precipitation will increase activity in fish. In my experience, just as it begins or 1 hour into the snow shower or storm is usually the “hottest” bite. :tipup:
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2007, 01:59 PM »
I agree with Scientist......when a storm is approaching the flags start flying.....caught some of the biggest fish in the worst weather.

The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline Basskicker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2007, 02:50 PM »
I agree with all that barometric plays a big part with fishing success.I always check the barometer when fishing open water.When the pressure is up,fish deeper(the fish go deeper to equalize the pressure on their bodies).When the pressure is lower,fish shallower.I have kept a fishing log for many years and have also found my best and most productive fishing days always fall around the "New Moon" phase.Also found a West wind seems to make the bite better.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.