Author Topic: Charger for lithium battery with percent charge option  (Read 1048 times)

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
OK, it says right in the pinned topic on lithium battery care that you don't really want to charge to 100%, and you want to keep it at 60% for long term storage etc. etc.  My brother in law does this with his Tesla, but the charging system allows you to dial in the desired charge.  Is there a charger that would work with the 18v drill batteries or 12v lithium that gives us this option, or are we all slaves to the green light (which I assume to be 100%). 

For my drill I guess I could run it down to two bars and then store it , but how would you know for a Dakota battery, for instance?

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Charger for lithium battery with percent charge option
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:12 AM »
I'm not any sort of battery or electrical pro. I only know what I have researched myself. Everything I have read points in the same direction you are going. I use the  noco 3500 charger and just charge to 50% while storing. When I'm ready to use it, I will then charge it fully. This charger tells how much charge the battery has (25,50,75.100%).

https://no.co/g3500

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:33 PM »
I'm not any sort of battery or electrical pro. I only know what I have researched myself. Everything I have read points in the same direction you are going. I use the  noco 3500 charger and just charge to 50% while storing. When I'm ready to use it, I will then charge it fully. This charger tells how much charge the battery has (25,50,75.100%).

https://no.co/g3500

Since you have researched this, do you know if this charger will work with the LiFePo4 lithium batteries, such as what the Dakota batteries are for instance?

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2020, 07:29 PM »
Those are the same batteries I have 2x the 10ah 12v. I have only used 2x this year because there is no ice within 4 to 5 hours away... but it seemed like the right thing to do...

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2020, 07:30 PM »
There hasn't been any explosions yet...

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2020, 07:32 PM »
3300 started a thread might be useful. He knows more than me I'm sure.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2020, 04:13 AM »
The NOCO G3500 ($52) will do it for lithium batteries "with an internal BMS".  Apparently it is discontinued but still available.  Its replacement the Genius5 cost $70 and has some upgrades, and Amazon doesn't include the internal BMS caveat.  The Genius2 is $50, 2a vs 5.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.