The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Pinckney Recreation Area?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pinckney Recreation Area?
« on: Feb 06, 2019, 02:46 PM »
Well, down here in Southern Ohio I was able to fish first and last ice over the same weekend. I’m looking for some options in Southern Michigan as weekend trips. Being old and on foot, the smaller lakes are more appealing. I'm not picky as I don't keep fish, but I'm primarily interested in finding crappie and gills. I’ve fished a few of the lakes in Pinckney from the kayak, but never on the ice.

So, how is the ice, and is it stable enough to risk a 4hr drive up North? Any particular lakes with bad ice that should be avoided? I’m looking at potentially fishing North, South, and Silver.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Offline Fishingixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pinckney Recreation Area?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Check out the "plan B"  thread.

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:59 PM »
I'm in hamburg township, ice is holding up good here, shoreline is getting pretty soft but temps supposed to be dropping into the teens and windy Friday will have the ice hard and slick. As for those specific lakes I have never fished them
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:59 PM »
I live on a Livingston county lake. Some lakes including mine began with 10"-12" before the warmup. I saw a rapid reduction within a few days after it. Tomorrow will be the determining factor I feel with another round of 50 and looks like some rain on top of it. Any patches that do open up, will surely get worse with the high winds predicted Friday-even if temps are below freezing. Hoping for the best. I will report conditions at least on my lake and another close-by before Saturday.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:51 AM »
I was on 5" of ice yesterday.allthough its going to be 50 today its only for an hour. Its 9 am and still 31 here. dropping below freezing fast after midnight tonight. I would imagine this weekend should be fine. just be carefull and bring a buddy and a spud.
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:39 AM »
I worry most about the wind. It will only be warm for a few hours, but then it looks like 24 hrs of 20-25 mph wind. I probably wouldn't risk a drive from southern Ohio before Sunday. There was 10" on those lakes before the warmup, but I haven't been there since. Really appreciate the updates from you guys who are there. Please keep them coming.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:38 AM »
I think the wind is only an issue on the small inlands with open water. For example, my lake has a river flowing into the lake that runs from West to east. I have an opening at the mouth and usually what happens is the winds push that open pocket further across the lake and chops the ice apart. Anything locked up 100% should survive the winds.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:15 AM »
Thanks everyone! I’m going to let the weather stabilize, and will check next week.

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:32 AM »
I think the wind is only an issue on the small inlands with open water. For example, my lake has a river flowing into the lake that runs from West to east. I have an opening at the mouth and usually what happens is the winds push that open pocket further across the lake and chops the ice apart. Anything locked up 100% should survive the winds.

Makes sense. It will depend on how the ice cover makes it through the next 10 hours or so.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:47 AM »
34 now. Rising to 50 and thunderstorms this evening by 7 and then a low of 20 tonight. Holy crap. What a wild weather ride. Lol

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:04 PM »
Crazy guy from across the lake was out riding around on strawberry lake today on 4 wheeler :o when I got home from work an hour ago, went to go chat with him and check ice but I couldn't even get on the shore was so bad because the water rose 6in or so. If I had a plank I could have got on,  but I can't believe he didn't go through... Didn't check my other lake but it's not part of the river system so should be fine for this weekend
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:17 PM »
That's pure insanity. Strawberry takes a bit longer to freeze. I have to believe it started with less than the foot of ice my lake had before the warmup.
I parked my quad off the ice Sunday!!

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:16 PM »
I measured anywhere from 5-10in on strawberry on Sunday... The 5inch spots were where the current runs better and where there was deeper snow drifts when we had snow sitting out there. The other lake I fish near by that's not part of the river system was about 8-11in on Sunday

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:24 PM »
The shorelines around the inland lake I live on have locked up. The new ice is not thick enough to support a human yet but should be real soon. Most areas though only require a large step to get on to the main ice. The ice has tightened right back up and looks to be around the 6"-8" thick still. I love how resilient ice is! Most all the inland lakes around this area should be fishable for sure. Just use caution because we had a lot of drain holes open up with all the snow melt and rainfall! Most of them with tonights single digit lows however should seal up quickly.  Going to get back out maybe tomorrow afternoon but for sure Sunday! Good luck to all and stay safe!

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:19 PM »
Thanks for the ice report. I'm figuring to get out somewhere on Sunday. Those drain holes should be solid by then.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:32 AM »
All the ice I was on this weekend was 5-8 of solid some what clear .
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.