Author Topic: Cheap tip up lights  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Cheap tip up lights
« on: Dec 22, 2008, 03:16 PM »
I was looking for a cheap way to put lights on my tip ups cause I'm going to try for some Burbot this year at night and I found a video on youtube and here it is.

Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV1wN74xueo

The one problem that I can see with his set up is that it might not be very bright so I figure I will set it up pretty close by while I fish for smelt.  ;) Any home made Ideas of your own would be welcomed  ;) . Also if you have any criticism on this set up than let me know cause I'm thinking of trying it.

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
Re: Cheap tip up lights
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2009, 04:39 PM »
looks pretty good to me.  i woudl think your could drill a hole in the light rather than melting it.  might be simpler.  but let me know how it works.
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2009, 05:46 PM »
looks pretty good to me.  i woudl think your could drill a hole in the light rather than melting it.  might be simpler.  but let me know how it works.

I used it for the first time last "NIGHT" and this is how it worked  ;)2 .

28" 6lb or 7lb Burbot/ellpout/lawyer/cusk/ling  :laugh:

The light worked A1. I had a few flags and every time the flag went up the light turned on  :thumbsup: ........CHEAP AND EASY JUST HOW I LIKE IT  8)

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2009, 03:21 PM »
where did you find the lights?

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2009, 05:11 PM »
where did you find the lights?

I looked every where in my local city and could not find them at Menard's,Lowes,Meijer or Walmart so I looked online and almost all of the places that sold them where in HONG KONG and theres "NO way I'm giving them my money" but FINALLY I found this Website based out of Minnesota and this is where I bought mine:

http://www.jackstoolshed.zoovy.com/product/IT-93250/Genius_Light_Automatic_Drawer_Cabinet_Light__Set_of_Three__Extra_Batteries.html

I got another one with the tip up lights  :thumbsup:

This one was 25" but it didn't have a real big gut on him so maybe about 4lbs

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2009, 08:54 AM »
What ive done before a couple times last year when i went at night was tape some of those cheap glow sticks to the back of my tip-downs, tape one end with black tape to the tip down with the other end of the glow stick hanging off the end of the tip down pointing down twrd the snow..fish on the end points twrds the sky, and use the little wee ones for the mouthpieces on flags of tip ups.
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.