Author Topic: Smoked Perch, try it?  (Read 3719 times)

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Smoked Perch, try it?
« on: Jan 25, 2004, 10:21 AM »
I am going to smoke some perch for the first time. Has anyone done this? I plan to soak them in brine first.I do not fillet them, but use the other method of cleaning that just removes the skin and head. Think this will work?
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
Re:Smoked Perch, try it?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2004, 05:18 AM »
Watch your brine solution. The first time I tried smoking fish I left it way too long. The smoke taste was great, but it was so salty you couldn't stand it.

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2004, 02:39 PM »
I cut my salt in half and found it worked great. Try it you might like it.  You can pull the skin after smoking comes off real easy plus keeps the fish more moist.;)

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2004, 08:29 PM »
Go to the smokeing northern thread I put in a post for brineing fish As per weight and salt and time It works great.
Cold Feet

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2004, 11:23 PM »
Thanks guys. I actually did cut the solution in half and cut the soak time to about 5 hours.But, I did remove the skin when I soaked them. I will let you know
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2004, 01:15 AM »
Perch came out awesome ;D Though, the smaller ones shrank down to practically nothing picking away the meat with a fork worked great and the taste was excellent. Northern are next on my list.b

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2004, 12:17 PM »
wvboy
5hrs of brineing is too long you do not have to do it this long read the chart I posted for brineing fish in the smokeing northern and you will get a great result each Perch is 1lb or under and it doesnt matter if you have 100 of them the brine time is still the same about 1 to 1 1/2 hr. Cutting down on the amount of salt could cause the fish to turn on you The salt is used to draw out the moisture from the flesh. Just give the meat a good rinse when you get done soaking the fish and it will eleminate the salt taste. Also leave the skin on next time it will be even better tasteing just use a vinigar water solution to get the fish slime off.
Trust Me
Cold Feet

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Smoked Perch, try it?
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2004, 11:47 PM »
I will try that next time cold feet. Sounds like you have some experience in the perch smoking area.Thanks for the info

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.