Author Topic: Looking for a good Cabbage Roll Recipe  (Read 4150 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Looking for a good Cabbage Roll Recipe
« on: Feb 23, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Have a bit of Bohunk in my blood and crave some good Old Country cabbage every now and then. I have a good Sarma recipe which is rolled leaves with meat filling, but want to make a bread wrapped cabbage roll. Hoping one of the Wisconsin/Minnesota (or anyone else  :)) members with family tradition might help me out? My mouth is watering in anticipation  :P

Offline livtofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Looking for a good Cabbage Roll Recipe
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2012, 08:54 PM »
My Uncle was from the country of Syria.  He came here at the age of 14 and live here all the rest of his life.  Went to College and became an Industrial Arts teacher.  He really knew how to cook the Syrian way and use to make an awesome Roll Cabbage with meat, onion, garlic and tomatoes.. My wife will be making some this weeekend for me upon my return from a two day fishing trip
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:36 AM »
Well, that really helped Wyo... ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:02 AM »
Loose lips ya know!  ;)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:05 AM »
I looked through my tons of ethnic cook books; couldn't find a recipe with pastry for the cabbage, but do have LOTS without the pastry, I'm Czech... :thumbsup:
So, after some hunting, I did find ONE for ya, seems they're few and far between. I'll just post the link for ya, since I've never made them...hope this helps!!!  ;D

http://honestcooking.com/2011/04/07/slavic-cabbage-rolls-my-first-attempt/

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:08 AM »
Thank you kind sir  :tipup:

I'm heading out fishing and will ship you a family favorite over the weekend.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:21 AM »
I haven't had cabbage rolls in years...I'm just replying to this so I can have it in my "new replies to your posts" section.  It'll be interesting to see what kinds of recipes end up on here.

I know this doesn't help wyoutdoors  ::)
Tight lines

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:28 AM »
Hope to find a good recipe for cabbage roll enveloped in a doughy bread, like a stuffed sandwich. May have to experiment with some older bread recipes.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:33 AM »
Thank you kind sir  :tipup:

I'm heading out fishing and will ship you a family favorite over the weekend.

Thanks, Wyo. Always look forward to good food.... ;D

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2012, 11:11 AM »
When I think of dough wrapped food, what comes to mind is "Pasties".
With a bit of experimenting with pastie making, why not just put the cabbage rolls in the dough and bake 'em.
Here is a link to one, just for making the dough and baking.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cornish-finnish-michigan-pasties/

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2012, 12:46 PM »
When I think of dough wrapped food, what comes to mind is "Pasties".
With a bit of experimenting with pastie making, why not just put the cabbage rolls in the dough and bake 'em.
Here is a link to one, just for making the dough and baking.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cornish-finnish-michigan-pasties/

I'll vouch for that recipe as to the ingredient proportions, it is very good. It is the recipe I use with a couple of variations. First off double/triple it, pasties freeze well, no MSG and NO carrots. My Finnish grandma woulda whooped me good if I'd tried to put carrots in a pasty, eh.

As to the original question, I can't remember ever coming across a "cabbage roll" recipe, or actual roll, that used a dough to wrap the roll in. Pot stickers and pierogies yes, cabbage rolls no. If ya come up with a good recipe, let us know.

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2012, 05:45 PM »
i have eaten them all the sweet days of my life. if you look up pigs in the blanket you will find what you are looking for. try it you will like them. good luck.

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2012, 10:35 PM »
I'm not totally sure about cabbage rolls, but my Gram used to make nedlicky (?) not sure of the spelling, which is a Bohemian "pastry" of fruit stuffed bread or roll. And, my wife just made us a big batch of cabbage and dumplings with pork chops. My Grandfather was a full Bohunk, and that was one of his favorite old country meals.  :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2012, 10:33 AM »
I'm not totally sure about cabbage rolls, but my Gram used to make nedlicky (?) not sure of the spelling, which is a Bohemian "pastry" of fruit stuffed bread or roll. And, my wife just made us a big batch of cabbage and dumplings with pork chops. My Grandfather was a full Bohunk, and that was one of his favorite old country meals.  :tipup:
We have breads that are called Povitica. A rolled bread formed in a log shape or put into a bread pan. They were generally filled with a walnut or apple filling.

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2012, 10:45 PM »
Yup. We have that at Christmas time.  Apple dumplings hit the table in the fall after the Northern Spy apples have been hit by frost.  :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2012, 01:50 PM »
I have one that's been passed down thru my family since the old days in Romania....but i'm sure if i posted it on here my mother would beat me to within an inch of my life.....sorry boys. ::)
Still counting.....

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2012, 02:49 PM »
uhh...thanks walleyeslayer, sounds delicous  :P

I really expected more recipes on here.  I've never tried to make cabbage rolls, but my mom did all the time when I was a kid.  I don't remember any breading on them...more or a meat/rice thing wrapped in cabbage and baked with some kind of tomato-y sauce.

They looked like this:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cabbage-rolls/
Maybe I'll try it and let you guys know how it turns out.  There's gotta be some prized recipe out there someone is willing to share, come on boys it's not like I'm asking for GPS co-ords for your honey hole  ;)
Tight lines

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2012, 07:06 PM »
uhh...thanks walleyeslayer, sounds delicous  :P

I really expected more recipes on here.  I've never tried to make cabbage rolls, but my mom did all the time when I was a kid.  I don't remember any breading on them...more or a meat/rice thing wrapped in cabbage and baked with some kind of tomato-y sauce.

Cabbage rolls are really pretty basic/common. I think that, the wrapping them in dough, recipe that wyoutdoors is looking for, ala a pasty or a calzone, is what has everyone stumped.  ;D

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2012, 05:23 PM »
could this be what you are looking for?     http://kelly.hogaboom.org/?p=1365

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2012, 06:47 PM »
could this be what you are looking for?     http://kelly.hogaboom.org/?p=1365
I'm going to give this one a try over the next couple of weeks (hopefully!), thanks for the link! Looks like a decent base recipe with room for tweaking!  :tipup:

Going to grab an old church recipe (Catholic) book authored by a slew of 'Slavs and Croat hard-working, home-cooking grandmothers and mothers. Recipes handed down for generations, and post up a Sarma (cabbage roll) recipe soon! Been busy fishing still and hoping the ice holds out for another couple of weeks still :tipup:

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2012, 01:02 PM »
traditional sarma = not in a pastry =     http://easteuropeanfood.aboutcom/od/holidaysfestivals/r/sarma.htm
seafood cabbage roll =     http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/47/seafood_cabbage_rolls2363.shtml
sweet-n-sour cabbage roll =     http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1826,149173-246199,00.html
glazed cabbage roll =    http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,171,159181-233206,00.html
hope i typed these right.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2012, 03:47 PM »
A recipe I make every so often when thinking of my grandmother and it's straight from an old church recipe book from a neighborhood known as 'Strawberry Hill' in Kansas City, KS, settled by Croatian and Slovenian folks in the 19th century. The optionals are some of the tweaks I've tried over the years. I used to go to Strawberry Hill to buy homemade sausages from Ragans,which sold homemade meats including traditional blood sausage, from their transformed enclosed front porch when I lived in SE Kansas. The old women used to sell from their back doors, but the city required them to have a storefront. So they made the front of their home into a meat market.

It was at one of these trips back there for an Aunts funeral, I stopped by to load up on meats to haul back to Wyoming. I saw one last copy of a recipe book entitled 'Recipes from Strawberry Hill, by St John the Baptist PTO - 1985'. It is loaded with excellent meals which "grandma used to make when we were kids"!

This is one of them...

Sarma

1lb ground chuck
1lb ground sausage
1/2lb ground ham (optional)
1 small onion grated
1 egg
1 c. rice
2 tbsp ketchup
5 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp pepper
1-2 garlic cloves (optional and MORE if desired!)
1 can tomato juice (V8 optional)
1 large can kraut
1 link Smoked sausage/kielbasi

Mix all ingredients together and set aside. Prepare cabbage leaves by removing the core. Have a pot of boiling water ready to set cabbage in. Peel off leaves when soft and pliable and let cool. Fill each leaf with 2 tbsp of mixture or more and roll and stuff ends in. Open large can of kraut and put a layer of kraut in the roasting pan, then a layer of cabbage rolls and more kraut on top until all is used up. End with sauerkraut on top. Mix a large can of tomato juice with water and pour over the cabbage rolls until covered. If you enjoy smoked sausage cut in pieces and place between the cabbage rolls to enhance flavor. Cover and bake at 300* for 2 hours; or if lots of rolls are made (40-50), bake for 3 hours.

A good online Povitica place, again from Strawberry Hill is http://www.povitica.com/

Enjoy and thanks for all your help!  :tipup:

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 01:57 PM »
I looked through my tons of ethnic cook books; couldn't find a recipe with pastry for the cabbage, but do have LOTS without the pastry, I'm Czech... :thumbsup:
So, after some hunting, I did find ONE for ya, seems they're few and far between. I'll just post the link for ya, since I've never made them...hope this helps!!!  ;D

http://honestcooking.com/2011/04/07/slavic-cabbage-rolls-my-first-attempt/
you are right on
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.