The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 8" HT Polar Ice Hand Auger?  (Read 8473 times)

Offline tla100

• Team IceShanty Regular
8" HT Polar Ice Hand Auger?
« on: Dec 31, 2009, 12:33 AM »
Hey, anybody use one? I bout a 8" Ht Polar Ice auger while back and it won't cut thru ice unless u got bout 150 lbs of pressure on it. Took 2 guys bout half hour to drill 2 holes in 24" of ice.  Also tried to shim blades to adjust angle of cut., still no go. They sent new blades, same. They did send me a whole new auger (no charge) and got in mail other day. I haven't tried that one yet. Old auger is painted black, new one is blue. Just wondered if anybody uses one similar. Got an Eskimo gas now and works awesome. Thanks.

Offline iaslab

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 8" HT Polar Ice Hand Auger?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:33 AM »
I have an 8" Strikemaster Mora Hand auger. It doesnt cut that well either. You still cant beat a 5-6" Lazer auger if you want a good hand auger/ The Lazer's blades are angled differently.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:38 AM »
The key to all ice augers is to not lean on them. Bend the screw a little it won't cut.
Its rpms not pressure.  Loose screws won't help either.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:42 AM »
8" is too big to cut by hand. A friend of mine used to have a 8" hand auger and it was brutal. If your cutting by hand don't go bigger than 6".

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2009, 10:39 AM »
8" is too big to cut by hand. A friend of mine used to have a 8" hand auger and it was brutal. If your cutting by hand don't go bigger than 6".
i also bought an 8" auger strike king Mora made in china. the blades were also in china. the steel that comes from china is inferior steel. so i went out to find blades made in Sweden. i found a 7" set that works great. i don't recamend any hand auger over 7". the new blades work great. but i also paid for them. make sure the blades you buy come from Sweden, their steel is the best in the world.

Offline keng52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2009, 10:47 AM »

This is the absolute truth!!! I went from 7" to 5" (dia of hole ::)). Much, much easier!

Ken....

Offline tla100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2009, 11:53 AM »
Yea, 8 is big but thats all I could find quick and was in a hurry. The new blades are china as well but razor sharp. The auger will almost bounce off the ice unless you use pressure. Haven't got new out yet so maybe it is better. Thanks.

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:11 AM »
Used to use a eskimo hand auger.  Did not have any problems but would go through 2 to 3 sets of blades per season.  With new blades used an 8" and would cut perfect.  When using a hand auger sharp blades are the key to success. 

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:28 AM »
I have no issues with my 8" Nils, cuts as easy or easier than my old 6" Lazer.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2010, 10:27 AM »
I bought an HT 7" Arctic Express, which is similar to the SM Lazer. It cuts a nice hole. But it rips through the ice when attached to my IceGator. I haven't had to sharpen my blades yet, going on 2 years now!
jbird68

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2010, 12:35 PM »

Tell your buddy to get an 8'' nils, no sweat!
I can cut drill a whole just as fast if not faster then the guy with the power auger. ;D

Offline LI Fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:40 PM »
yea i only use 6" hand augers nothing bigger. i have the HT polar ice auger 6" and it works fine I cut through 4"-10" no problem. Keep those blades sharp! ;)

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2010, 06:05 PM »
i got the 8" polar for christmas two years ago and tried to cut a few holes on cumberland head bay on champlain with 15" of ice and it took me 5 minutes a hole and i was too tired to fish afterwards... i got new blades for it and the same results...  i had no idea that there was such as difference with augers until i bought a 6" lazer last year... towards the end of the season i was tearin through ice at 23"+ and it was fine... now i have a 5" and it works even better... get a lazer or a nils master, pay the extra money, it will actually save you money in the long run and you will not hae to worry about it and have more time to fish... tight lines

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:07 AM »
Had an 8 inch hand auger.  Hated it.  Took too long, I was a wuss- whatever- it sucked.  Bought an eskimo standard 6 inch auger on sale.  All I can say is amazing.  I cut 10 holes through 12 inches of ice in no time and wasn't even tired.  THe amount of strength and rotation to cut a hole increases significantly with each jump up in size.
There's no chin under Chuck Norris's beard- only another fist.

Offline tla100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2010, 09:28 AM »
Well, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a problem with that. Thanks for replies. Tim

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Working to afford bait!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:56 AM »
This is a really really old thread, but I am having terrible experiences with this auger.  Just bought it brand new this year.  It doesn't cut for crap.  Changed blades and everything and it still sucks.  The plastic pieces are also broken and are about to come completely off.  Anyone have any experience with HT and their customer service about this issue?
-Chris

Offline smileyburg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CRAP-EYE !!!!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2014, 08:04 PM »
mine broke today and have emailed HT for help will let you know what happens
Always looking forward to CRAPPIE CAMP...

Offline smileyburg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CRAP-EYE !!!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2014, 02:13 PM »
PM me and I can give you the email of the person in customer service there who is resolving my issue
Always looking forward to CRAPPIE CAMP...

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Working to afford bait!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2014, 02:06 PM »
I forgot I posted on here, I contacted Ht, they sent me a new auger (the HT polar fire). Very impressed with them!
-Chris

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.