Author Topic: Tulibee  (Read 2545 times)

Offline treeplucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tulibee
« on: Feb 17, 2020, 03:01 PM »
Yesterday a couple family's on katepwa  caught 96 tulibee why are there so many being caught this year😠

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tulibee
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2020, 08:47 PM »
Depends where you are.  Ft q lakes you will catch a ton compared to lml.   And I find size bigger on ft q smaller on lml.    Also could be as simple as way way less piles of them in the ice.   As a kid I remember seeing pails full of them scattered all over the lake.    I remeber burbs too.   But we as icefisherman have gotten much better at not wasting the fish.  Cisco's are a huge food source for our main game fish.    Also they can be pretty darn easy to catch sometimes.  Easier then sitting on a school of perch sometimes.  I remeber days when you got lucky getting your jig down to the bottom without a Cisco picking it off on the way down.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2020, 09:04 PM »
Spoxick, you reminded me of our younger days fishing LML (North of Rowan's Ravine).  Our family would catch 50 to 80 (if not more), burbot a day.  Like everyone else they were left on the ice.  A local farmer would come by pulling a wagon and pick them up.  We asked what he was doing with them......feeding them to my pigs.  My father would roll over in his grave, if he (we), knew they were excellent eating back then.

Some people say if you smoke Tulibee, they are not bad.  I haven't tried it myself.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2020, 09:07 PM »
Smoked herring or cisco or tulibeeor whatever you wanna call it imakes an excellent fish dip... Its just like whitefish
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Dlzfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2020, 01:01 PM »
Spoxick, you reminded me of our younger days fishing LML (North of Rowan's Ravine).  Our family would catch 50 to 80 (if not more), burbot a day.  Like everyone else they were left on the ice.  A local farmer would come by pulling a wagon and pick them up.  We asked what he was doing with them......feeding them to my pigs.  My father would roll over in his grave, if he (we), knew they were excellent eating back then.

Some people say if you smoke Tulibee, they are not bad.  I haven't tried it myself.

I understand it was a different time and that you cant really expect someone to do differently than they were taught... but im still blown away when i hear people talking about doing this back in the day. Did no one ever think of the effects it would have on the food chain? As a fisherman i spend so much time considering what my target species is eating, where it is eating, that to not realise that cisco are a major food souce just seems impossible. I realise you were talking burbs but i know it was very common for both species.

Ah well. Atleast times are changing and the lakes seem to be recovering.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2020, 02:01 PM »
Yea, we were just kids back then.  I don't remember catching any amount of Ciscos back then.  Like you say, they were all burbs.

The pigs sure got fed well during the winter.  Don't recall any bacon these days smelling like fish.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2020, 04:45 PM »
Ignorant attitudes die hard. No different among waterfowlers. Any duck that wasn't a mallard was a "crap duck". Usually they were called that because the shooter had no idea what the bird was called. Snow geese were called "Rats of the Air" and deemed inedible, mainly by people who never cooked them. Just a shallow excuse by lazy slobs masquerading as sportsmen to justify leaving the birds in a ditch or rock pile. I used to get really angry when I was younger listening to my sanctimonious elders talk about how much better hunting and fishing was in the "good old days"; as if to say we will never know the game like they did.

Thank goodness those clowns are no longer idolized.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2020, 06:18 PM »
Ignorant attitudes die hard. No different among waterfowlers. Any duck that wasn't a mallard was a "crap duck". Usually they were called that because the shooter had no idea what the bird was called. Snow geese were called "Rats of the Air" and deemed inedible, mainly by people who never cooked them. Just a shallow excuse by lazy slobs masquerading as sportsmen to justify leaving the birds in a ditch or rock pile. I used to get really angry when I was younger listening to my sanctimonious elders talk about how much better hunting and fishing was in the "good old days"; as if to say we will never know the game like they did.

Thank goodness those clowns are no longer idolized.

Well said Speck!  That’s reminds me of the time my buddy and I joined you for a waterfowl hunt. The lead was FLYING that day.  Never had a day of so manly birds to shoot. Never. My shoulder was bruised for a couple weeks.
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.