Author Topic: For the Burbot chasers  (Read 3124 times)

surflizard

For the Burbot chasers
« on: Jul 28, 2012, 06:02 PM »
Here is an article from In-Fisherman on ice fishing for Burbot with some good tips and techniques.

Burbot is one of many common names for Lota lota, the only freshwater member of the cod family. In most areas, anglers have overlooked the sporting and table qualities of this fish. Some anglers would rather cut their line than handle these slimy creatures that look like a cross between a snake and a bullhead. The truth is, however, that burbot are fun to catch, typically large, and make a fine meal when properly prepared.

Tackle

Rod: 2- to 3-foot medium-power ice rod.

Reel: small-capacity spinning reel.

Line: 8- to 12-pound-test mono.

Match the size and action of your lure to the activity level of the fish. Generally, the same baits you would use for walleyes will work for burbot. Attract active fish with a swim bait like a #5 or #7 Jigging Rapala with a fish eye or minnow head impaled on the treble hook. For less active fish, anchor a lively 4-inch shiner or chub with a 1/3-ounce phosphorescent jigging spoon. Finally hook a 4-inch livebait on a 1/4-ounce plain leadhead jig for negative fish. Aggressive jigging attracts fish, but use subtle hops or twitches on or near the bottom to trigger interested burbot.

Burbot inhabit northern lakes, rivers, and even brackish estuaries around the globe. They're common throughout most of Canada, Alaska, and the northern tier of states from Maine to eastern Washington. Despite this wide distribution, however, little is known about the movements of the species. We do know they prefer deep water for most of the year and that they spawn on shallow gravel bars from late January through March across much of their range. The best fishing occurs a few weeks before burbot spawn on bars and humps adjacent to deep water, as the fish gather to feed on small fish and crayfish.

Preparing

Fillet a burbot as you would a walleye, and remove the skin. The ribs are thick and easily removed, and the tail section has no bones beyond the spine. Burbot are rather oily, so parboil fillets for a couple minutes in a pot of simmering water with a tablespoon or two of lemon juice. Any of your favorite recipes will work, but it's tough to beat pan-fried burbot prepared right on the ice with fried potatoes and onions

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: For the Burbot chasers
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2012, 10:07 PM »
There's no Burbot near me, but I wouldn't mind catching a few. I'll have to take a little trip this winter and try to find some.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2012, 03:36 AM »
Great info surf! Thanks for sharing!

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2012, 07:02 AM »
Glad you guys enjoyed it, I figured a little break from all the "this weather sucks" posts would be a nice change of pace !

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2012, 07:04 AM »
Appreciate all the good reads you put out there Surf,  :clap: . There aren't any lakes close by me that have any burbot unfortunately. When I went out deep sea fishing, several cusk were caught, none by me, but everyone tossed them....some claimed because they had worms, truth be told, so did all the cod, haddock, and pollock! A restaurant that I go to here in N.Y. serves cusk as its main selling fish fry. Is there a reason why cusk is not considered good table fare? Do not mean to hijack here, just puzzled.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2012, 07:13 AM »
Glad you guys enjoyed it, I figured a little break from all the "this weather sucks" posts would be a nice change of pace !
Thanks for the break with your articles!  I've caught and eaten eelpout as we called them and they are great eating!! ;D
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2012, 07:24 AM »
    No worries buddy, It is an old wives tale that I'm kinda glad still exists ! ;)2  At this time of year as the water warms up, both the freshwater and saltwater parasite levels explode ! Cusk are no more prone to worms then any of the other Pelagic fish out there, they "All" have them, I know that for a fact, I've spent my fair share of time on the filleting table on charter boats!   
   Most of the folks that throw cusk back, both freshwater and saltwater species have never tried them ! It is a firm white flesh just like Cod and Haddock or Wolf fish and for most people, if you cooked them all and put them on the plate together, very rarely would they be able to spot or taste the difference !
     So ya, they can just keep on throwing them nasty old wormy cusk back, it leaves just that much more for us ! ;)2 :thumbsup: :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.