Author Topic: Burbot in Wisconsin  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Burbot in Wisconsin
« on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:00 PM »
OK... I have never fished for, or caught burbot before. This year, I would like to change that, but I don't know where to go. Can anyone point me to a good lake to catch burbot? I am not needing a trophy lake by any means, just something with some good odds to catch some good eaters. I dont really care where in the state it is, I'm willing to travel for the right lake..... maybe even into Minnesota some....

Thanks in advance....
Dave

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Burbot in Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:04 PM »
Winnebago for sure.  Not sure on the exact timing, but hit the rock piles around Feb/March when they are spawning and you can get them good usually.  We actually caught two the last two days while perch fishing in the bays.  I took one and boiled it up for New Years, it was my first burbot that I've caught, kept, cleaned, and ate.  I liked it and am actually thinking of targeting them later to try a few other recipes!

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:11 AM »
OK Eddie... thanks for the tip..... Winnebago was a lake that I originally thought of... but wasn't sure, thanks for confirming that...... any other thoughts? anybody?

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:56 AM »
Picked up four more random pout on Bago this weekend.  If a guy would use medium shiners around the am and pm dusk periods, I would guess they could do pretty good.  We are just getting them by accident on our perch rigs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.