Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Equipment

Line...Weight?

(1/2) > >>

Wyo:
???  ...Relative newby; couple of seasons under my belt.  I've been fishing the "prairie lakes" around Laramie, Wyoming.  They tend to be shallow enough to allow you to see the bottom (typically 10-15') and have rainbows in the 16 to 20 inch range.  Question...what weight line would seem right to you folks with more experience.  I've been running one rod with 6-pound and one with 8-pound.  Frankly, the 8-pound has lost me fewer fish...is there any downside to using 8 or 10 pound line in these circumstances?

TWM:
I use line 10-12 lb range for similar depths for walleyes, perch, and jacks. I Use cold temp spider  line, its a little more exspense but has low memory and a smaller diameter. You can use a lighter/smaller  jig depending what your fishing for and the line will stay tight so you can feel any strikes.

salmotrutta:
IF you are fishing for the rainbows i would use 6 lb. test or perhaps drop to 4 lb. test.You will get bit more with 4 lb. but you will have more breakoffs.Invest in a good rod and reel.Try tip-ups with powerbait over a shallow sand flat(2-3 FT.)

Sandbilly:
I believe in using the smallest diameter line I can get away with. I would rather get bit and broke off than have a fish spook from the leader. A little experience and like salmotrutta said a good rod and reel with the drag set right you can land those bows on 2lb. test. I also like the high test braided lines with a small diameter or for gin clear water, berkley vanish works very well. You really have to watch line nicks and respool every 60 days.

Big_Walt:
What type of line would be suggested for tip-ups while fishing for Pike? Line and test strength...
Also where can one get ahold of extra large replacement flags and extendable poles for tip-ups?
 Thanks
Big Walt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version