The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fremont Lake Derby  (Read 7935 times)

Offline El_Stu

• IceShanty Rookie
Fremont Lake Derby
« on: Nov 15, 2018, 09:14 AM »
Just heard yesterday that the Pinedale Lions Club is taking over for the now defunct Boat Club and will be running the Derby this year.  They are planning it for the traditional first weekend of March (March 2nd).  That's all I have for now but will post more when I know it.  I know there were a few of us that missed having it last year, thought I would get the word out.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fremont Lake Derby
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2018, 09:53 AM »
That is good news! I spoke with the former chair this summer about the club and I actually considered taking it over myself but the lack of support people kept me from doing it. It is just a ton of work for one person to take on which is ultimately why it ended to begin with.

Offline Ouzel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2018, 09:07 PM »
That is great news.
My schedule will actually let me fish it again, providing the do it the first weekend in March.

Keep us updated.

Ouzel.

Offline kdawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2018, 08:07 PM »
That is great news.  I had heard that might be happening. 

Offline El_Stu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2018, 09:13 PM »

Here are the details from the Lions Club, will post more when I get more information

Offline 307fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:53 AM »
Excellent news !  looks like Fremont is starting to cap already too!

Offline Lets fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2019, 09:05 AM »
It would be better if catch and release. Sad to see big fish killed!

Offline SnowPlane22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2019, 03:52 PM »
This makes me happy!

Offline 307fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2019, 07:17 PM »
Lets Fish- -  we totally agree. Even though not many big fish are caught they are a fragile species and take forever to get that big.   Nevin an I are doing the derby but if we are lucky enough to catch another big one we have already decided we are releasing it!  Nevin's already kept his share of big old fish from that derby. With that said we can't wait to get out there with everyone !!!

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:33 PM »
It looked like the lake was pretty well froze
Over today. There were People out there paraskiing.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:17 AM »
It would be better if catch and release. Sad to see big fish killed!

We should all approach the Lions Club and request that they go
to A Catch and Release Tourney. They do it elsewhere.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Myself and “307fish” chatted about the derby last night. While killing those big, old fish does pull at the heart strings, I honestly don’t think this derby puts the slightest dent in the resource. How many fish over 10 lbs get caught at the derby every year? 4?? 7 or 8 MAYBE. This body of water receives such little angling pressure throughout the year, and they’re so temperamental in this lake that I don’t think the 4 sizable fish that are harvested is that noticeable of a hit to the population.

With all that said, if the derby officials wanted to make it a length contest with their own ruler given out, I’d be all for that too!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:50 AM »
I completely agree Trent. This lake can be frustrating for most and even those of us who do know the lake can get humbled pretty regularly. There are just a handful of big fish caught out there each year during the derby so it probably doesn't affect it that much. There are a LOT of fish in there over 10 pounds too. I would have a hard time killing a 30+ but if I did it would probably be going on the wall anyways. If you guys are coming up I may join you if that is ok, I more than likely will fish it but not be entered in the derby.

Offline Lets fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2019, 06:56 PM »
All very true can be tough. A ruler might be a thought for next year.

Offline MackMan23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2019, 11:11 PM »
I've volunteered in the past to help sell tickets for the Derby and approached the club on the catch and release issue also...the problem as I understand it was in order to enter a fish in a contest it has to be in your possession or in laments terms keeping it...I am not sure if that was a state or a federal stipulation

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2019, 07:58 AM »
It seems to me that they do a catch and release at one of the gorge derby’s. Similar to the old IS Derby, a card issued at check in the day of derby, a approved tape measure and a photo.
I agree that the few Fish caught at the derby doesn’t really impact
The fishery much, but I also think that if you ever want a 40-50lber, you have to let the 20-30’s go!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:00 AM »
I've volunteered in the past to help sell tickets for the Derby and approached the club on the catch and release issue also...the problem as I understand it was in order to enter a fish in a contest it has to be in your possession or in laments terms keeping it...I am not sure if that was a state or a federal stipulation

It must be a state thing because I’ve been a part of the Flaming Gorge Fishing Derby out of Manila, UT where the catch and release derby takes place. Considering they do it in Utah but on a body of water that shares both states, I bet we could get this changed if we wanted to.
Trent Williams

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2019, 12:08 PM »
Part of G & F issues was bringing the fish in to weigh and then releasing it, caused too much stress on the fish. A quick photo and then release is something we do all the time, well try and do all the time!

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2019, 12:29 PM »
Good points. It would require changing the derby from a weight to a length tournament which I like better anyways. I think the Wyoming law just states that once you keep a fish you can't release it meaning no culling is allowed.

Offline wyohunter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2019, 12:50 PM »
While I agree with catch and release on big lakers, in a Tourney it would not be practical, ethical, and very problematic. First the G&F rules says that any fish caught and not kept shall be released immediately back to the water. Now how would it take to hold a big laker down and measure it, take pics and be released without frozen eyes and still have a chance to survive? I have been told that putting a fish on a mat would save it from frozen eyes, would that require everyone in the tourney to have a mat? I know many of the trophy laker fishermen have perfected the release of big fish but has everyone? How many would be pulled up only to be put back in the hole five minutes later with little chance to survive? 
 The reason the Fremont tourney works to quote massNtrash is that there are not that many big fish caught. Now down at the Gorge would it be possible to have 7,8 or more 30lb fish turned in? On the right day yes and it would be a sad day.
 Now to get off my soap box, Do I fish tourneys? Yes I do, I like meeting others and having a good time on the ice. Have I kept some big fish? Yes I have. Would I have released them if it wasn't a tourney? most yes. Is there a good answer to this question? No, not if you want to fish tourneys.

Offline MackMan23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2019, 12:32 AM »
Thankful to live in a place where sportsman are still stewards of our precious resources...c.n.r seems to be more prevelant now than it ever used to be especially with our big Lakers... maybe somewhere down the road there could be a tourney similar to I.S. but for a long weekend on Fremont, Gorge, ect. that could be based on a release and length premise...maybe do a friendly one for Feb and March...great thoughts and ideas everyone...tight lines...Dru

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2019, 01:47 PM »
Everyone’s brought up good points here. I’ve been fishing the Fremont Derby for over 30 yrs and am just glad to see it making a comeback. A BIG THANK YOU to the Lions Club for their effort, the Lakeside Lodge for hosting, G&F, Forest Service, Sponsors. There are so many things that have to come together to make an event like this happen. See you on the ice!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2019, 04:25 PM »
Good luck to you guys this year. I never realized how well Nevin did! Couldn’t have happened to a nicer family and a great young man! :clap:

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2019, 07:59 PM »
Is Nevin, the kid that keeps on catching the big Lakers every year. He is like a Mack whisper. He finds a Moby every tourney. Love the pics. Hope he finds another one.
No one left behind.     

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:16 AM »
The problem is the logistics of weighing fish on a 12 mile long frozen lake.  What was happening, was people would catch a fish to weigh in, then carry it back to the lodge on their snowmobile for miles, weigh them in, then going back down to the lake to release the fish.  This happened frequently.
Obviously, those fish are not likely going to survive.  But the anglers continued to fish as if they had no fish in their possession.  The current regulations for the derby and the state, mean that you can only submit (kill) one fish over 24" per day, which does keep the carnage down on the big fish.

That being said, I am sure if they came up with some other format that would use tape measure, photos etc. that would make it difficult to cheat, it could work.  It is a sad thing, but the prize money makes people cheat in a lot of these derbies!!!

Offline 307fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:31 PM »
Thanks Special !   yes Nevin will be back at it this year....  I never do very good, pretty much there just to help him land his hogs and be the photographer !! 

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:43 AM »
i forget if you can get cell service on fremont. if you can and they dont want to switch much, maybe someone updating the results live online where it is easy to check. then fisherman can check to see the top fish before deciding to drive back to the check in and kill the fish.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2019, 05:54 PM »
i forget if you can get cell service on fremont. if you can and they dont want to switch much, maybe someone updating the results live online where it is easy to check. then fisherman can check to see the top fish before deciding to drive back to the check in and kill the fish.

Well. Except you have hourly prizes. So that throws a whole nother wrench into things. I mean the hourly prizes are great! And like I said before, the amount of big fish caught and killed per year basically make no dent in the population in my opinion.

However, kill a 30 year old fish to win the day??? You’re derby fishing after all.

Kill a 30 year old fish to win the hour and $100??? Tough to say.
Trent Williams

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:48 PM »
Usually you can get cell service on the lower end of the lake, upper end it’s spotty. Sometimes you could call someone and get a report but it wasn’t consistent. It Would be nice if they would have live updates thru the day.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:01 PM »
So back to more derby talk. Who from here is going!?

I will be there along with my dad and a handful of buddies!

Also, I saw derby flyers around when fishing viva naughton and should’ve taken a picture, but didn’t. Can somebody post the flyer for all to see??? The one on pinedale lions club’s Facebook is pretty vague.
Trent Williams

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.